Do rotating turrets really matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People bitch about swivel turrets being a failure point, and other people would bitch if they didn’t have swivel turrets.
How do we win here?
If only more than one regulator were being manufactured, we'd live in a perfect world.

There is an over thinking thing that goes on in regard to “failure” points, every thread and joint is a possible failure point a Highly unlikely failure point but possible. I just don’t really care for the extra length and bulk, the can have their place in differing applications but for me they just add bulk, a solution to a nonexistent problem.

to relieve jaw fatigue a movable joint “at” the second stage will do a lot more along with better hoses which means an optimal length more than material construction, nice rubber hoses like deeps 6 offers can work as well as miflex types and better in some cases.

OP you’ll likely get more relief from hose selection/ Omni type swivel experiments than from frost stage replacement, you can still buy more gear after you figure out what feels best.

Not bitching. Just trying to understand. These are my first so I have not experienced a failure. I just thought they would move more freely... Maybe not likely with an o-ring.
The Mark 25 is among the most highly developed and reliable first stages ever made and nothing exceeds it'a potential performance. It sits at the top of the mountain. You may or may not find the turret useful, depends upon how you set your rig up. The fifth (turret top) port is useful to some folks, especially for doubles but some also use it with the stage pointed downward at an angle for single tank. The early Scubapro Mark V from which the Mark 25 is descended had a brass turret bolt and it could and did snap in use at least once. That was decades ago. Turrets are not routinely popping off Mark 10s, Mark 20s or Mark 25s or even Mark Vs with an updated stainless turret bolt. Basically, the turret is not a failure point in practical use. This sort of concern falls into the same category (that I tease my diaphragm buddies with) that the little wire pin that is used to push the HP seat from the volcano could bend or shear locking the regulator up. Every regulator design has some potential fault somewhere, the Mark 25 is about bullet proof as any.

Like the turret option so much I had one installed on my Land Cruiser
Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 8.55.09 AM.png

Failure is not an option.

I prefer swivels on everything. Not really an asset on a slung bottle, but they don't suck there.

i like the turrets on stage regs. i've had one or two leaks from the o ring that seals the turret, although i probably caused that to happen when i threw my stages into the water and the regs hit the ground

i've had one or two leaks from the o ring that seals the turret,
As many regs as I've rebuilt and owned, I've never encountered this problem.

As many regs as I've rebuilt and owned, I've never encountered this problem.
Indeed!

And I have had one diaphragm regulator leak at the seal between metal and rubber (apparently common with some Apeks models) and another diaphragm split and began gushing air during a deep dive.

Back
Top Bottom