Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure that ScubaPro is a fine reg. Maybe even among the best. But, it is expensive and, yes, money is a concern for most people. Even divers, believe it or not. So if I can dive a reg that I live just as well and I believe is made as well and do it for less money, does that make me bad?

I dont know beaverdiver at all. He may be a fine upstanding individual and probably is. He may dive ScubaPro only because he feels it IS the best and he may sell ScubaPro only because he believes it IS the best.

But, the vast majority of chearleaders for HOG on here are not dealers of any regs, just users of regs. Therefore I would think it is apparent that their chearleading is pretty obviously not self serving. I am NOT saying that beaverdivers chearleading is self serving....just that when one is a dealer of something it does call that into question, at least to some degree.

I hope to meet beaverdiver some day and maybe even dive with him. Hopefully if that happens we can have a great time and not worry about what regs the other guy is diving :)

Try to provide some evidence or support for your position.

You have no credibility
I had not heard of hog til last Nov. since I joined Scubaboard. I had never seen a hog til my Sea of Cortez trip last week.

I was not impressed.

The Scubapro regs. on the trip performed fawlessly.

Yes, almost all of my 5000+ are on Scubapro regs. I have over a 100,000 diver/hours of clients diving Scubapro with me.

If there was a better reg., don't you think I would be using it.

As far as credibility, please take a closer look at # of dives listed on each of our profiles.

Dive more, post less.

I can easily justify why you use Scubapro regs, but cannot justify why you are bad mouthing other brands.

You use SP because you own a Scubapro Platinum dive shop and thus obtaining the regs are essentially cheaper. Also, you must have an employee which is a certified SP tech. This means you can get your reg serviced very cheaply and locally. Both of the aforementioned characteristics are reasons that HOG regs are appealing to divers(Price and serviceability). So the only reason why YOU would use a different brand reg was if it was a better breather or more reliable. So far I have not seen anyone mention that a HOG breathes better than a SP, only equally. So, the only reason left would be reliability. Both companies have had very little issues with this (although you will argue that HOG hasn't been around long enough to establish a reputation fot reliability). However, with all of the HOG users on this forum and with the amount of dives they have logged I think it's fair to say HOG's are reliable.

It is one thing to support the brand which you stock in your store. I can understand that you have your reasons for offering them to your customers. So in a thread like this you should offer the experience which you have with Scubapro regs. However, constantly bashing other companies is just inappropriate and certainly not helpful to the OP. If you have any more insight on HOG/Edge regs other than, "They suck" then please post it. Otherwise I think you have no use in this thread anymore.

Needless to say, I completely agree with gcarter

Would you care to elaborate on this?

Scubapro moved from the metal air barrel in the G250 to plastic air barrels in the G250HP, G500 and S600 this caused freeze ups and free flows for cold water divers. Apeks always had metal barrels and had better freeze resistance because they were made for diving in North Sea conditions. So after a decade or so Scubapro realized their mistake and brought back the G250V and now replaced the plastic air barrel in the S600 with a metal one. I own all the regs referenced plus a few others like Beuchat and Sherwood and some older Scubapros. How long did it take Scubapro to come out with a sealed diaphragm reg? Also didn't Scubapro's main designers leave the company because they didn't like the products Scubapro were making and form the competitor Atomic?

I would bet a limb, had Hog being introduced to the market with a price like Scubapro, there would be no comments to how great Hog regs are, it would be quite the opposite.

I do agree to this to a point, mainly because new SP price is just ridiculous. Think about the opposite, if scubapro price its mk25/a700 at the price of HOG. People will like SP much better too.

I had not heard of hog til last Nov. since I joined Scubaboard. I had never seen a hog til my Sea of Cortez trip last week.

I was not impressed.

I have quite am opppsite impression. Before I have HOG, I had mk25/s600. I would say 1st stage, HOG and mk25 is very similar in build quality, both are very good. But I think HOG 2nd stage has higher build quality thank s600.

Scubapro moved from the metal air barrel in the G250 to plastic air barrels in the G250HP, G500 and S600 this caused freeze ups and free flows for cold water divers. Apeks always had metal barrels and had better freeze resistance because they were made for diving in North Sea conditions. So after a decade or so Scubapro realized their mistake and brought back the G250V and now replaced the plastic air barrel in the S600 with a metal one. I own all the regs referenced plus a few others like Beuchat and Sherwood and some older Scubapros. How long did it take Scubapro to come out with a sealed diaphragm reg? Also didn't Scubapro's main designers leave the company because they didn't like the products Scubapro were making and form the competitor Atomic?

No answer to my question, but that's fine.

In this post, all I heard you say is scubapro made a mistake(by your own judgement) and realized it and fixed it.
Did I read it wrong?

And if it's fixed, than what's the problem now?

No answer to my question, but that's fine.

In this post, all I heard you say is scubapro made a mistake(by your own judgement) and realized it and fixed it.
Did I read it wrong?

And if it's fixed, than what's the problem now?

Don't base it on my judgement, base it on all the people that had freezeups and freeflows because Scubapro switched to a plastic barrel to save a dollar or two. Even the warm water Apeks have a metal air barrel. Also the new XTX from Apeks are reversible which is better for sidemounting. If you want a reversible Scubapro find a vintage Air 1 from the 1980's.

So now how about you telling us why you think Scubapro's products and services are so great?

I do agree to this to a point, mainly because new SP price is just ridiculous. Think about the opposite, if scubapro price its mk25/a700 at the price of HOG. People will like SP much better too.

I have quite am opppsite impression. Before I have HOG, I had mk25/s600. I would say 1st stage, HOG and mk25 is very similar in build quality, both are very good. But I think HOG 2nd stage has higher build quality thank s600.

And thats exactly my point, all the bashings on SP is purely based on price, face it, SP is marketed towards people who can afford it, not for people who want it. SP customer service is superb, they stand behind their products, their warranty is fantastic.
It is very expensive indeed, but don't bash the company because you can't afford it, by a cheaper brand, be happy with it and move on.

And thats exactly my point, all the bashings on SP is purely based on price, face it, SP is marketed towards people who can afford it, not for people who want it. SP customer service is superb, they stand behind their products, their warranty is fantastic.
It is very expensive indeed, but don't bash the company because you can't afford it, by a cheaper brand, be happy with it and move on.

You have no point. Re-read the posts. The OP asked if he should buy a Hog or not. People that owned Hogs chimed in and said they breath the same as higher end regs, so there is really nothing better. Then you and Beaver comes in and trashes Hog. Nobody was speaking badly of Scubapro, Apeks, or Atomic or any other brand. you can say Scubapro is marketed to people that can afford it but that is not true. Scubapro likes to create the impression that they are the best but Hog pokes a hole in their story.

Although I know we are not talking about masks, myself and 3 other friends purchased Hog masks. We made our purchase decision based on costs only. 3 of the 4 ,masks leaked. So that leads me to question the quality of the products by Hog in general. It also taught me a lesson that cheap is not necessarily good and I reconsidered. A friend of mine who has been teaching scuba for over 43 years dives only Scuba Pro and has no complaints or failures with the gear. That has made me decide to purchase Scuba Pro as my equipment of choice. I do believe that my life and safety is worth the additional cost!

You have no point. Re-read the posts. The OP asked if he should buy a Hog or not. People that owned Hogs chimed in and said they breath the same as higher end regs, so there is really nothing better. Then you and Beaver comes in and trashes Hog. Nobody was speaking badly of Scubapro, Apeks, or Atomic or any other brand. you can say Scubapro is marketed to people that can afford it but that is not true. Scubapro likes to create the impression that they are the best but Hog pokes a hole in their story.

Exactly. I am happy with my Apeks - SP would not have been any cheaper, so it isn't a cost issue.

My son's Hog I believe to be every bit as good. They are cheaper to boot. Does that make them bad? Does that mean that the only reason to NOT consider SP is price?

I really don't get these religous wars.

You like what you like, great, no need to trash other brands just 'cause. SP are as good as any, just like Apeks and Hog and I am sure other brands I have not had the opportunity to try.

But the rah rah sis boom ba schitck is really annoying.

---------- Post Merged at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Although I know we are not talking about masks, myself and 3 other friends purchased Hog masks. We made our purchase decision based on costs only. 3 of the 4 ,masks leaked. So that leads me to question the quality of the products by Hog in general. It also taught me a lesson that cheap is not necessarily good and I reconsidered. A friend of mine who has been teaching scuba for over 43 years dives only Scuba Pro and has no complaints or failures with the gear. That has made me decide to purchase Scuba Pro as my equipment of choice. I do believe that my life and safety is worth the additional cost!

Masks are a bad example. With a mask, it is not about the cost and it is not about the brand, it is about the FIT. If it doesn't fit your face properly, don't buy it. The fact that 3 of 4 leaked says nothing about Hog other than they were not properly fitted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom