Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one that is serviced by the person who cares the most about doing it right. I learned how to rebuild my regs because I was way overcharged on a reg service (no courtesy of an estimate) and then the reg failed on the second dive because they didn't replace a diaphragm that was distorted. When they got the $10 diaphragm in, they did not want me to even install that myself because I wasn't "factory trained". O rly? Why did the factory trained rep put that distorted diaphragm back in my reg? They lost my trust and I demanded that they sell me the diaphragm, which they did (if I remember it right). I've recounted this in a few threads here on ScubaBoard over the years...

Nope, it's the one that is serviced by the person who KNOWS best how to do it right, has the proper tools and training.

You realize you do have the option to leave your reg for service or not right? I mean, you asked for an estimate, they don't give you one and you still left the reg with the bozos????

I know plenty of places to service gear, some are way overpriced, some have such a slow turn around time, some are unfriendly and of course some I don't trust their service, but I don't judge all services and techs equal, I choose wisely.

There are shops who CARES about servicing YOUR gear the right way, it's for the best interest of their busyness, it's common sense.

Nope, it's the one that is serviced by the person who KNOWS best how to do it right, has the proper tools and training.
I worked as a service manager for a number of years, and I would rather have a technician that gave a damn and figured things out, than one who thought their superior training and tools made them an automotive guru. We used to laugh at the Wunder Kids who came to us fresh out of auto service tech school and couldn't figure out anything that their superior training hadn't covered in minute detail. It was obvious that a number of them saw auto repair as nothing more than a pay check and they had not made any commitment to excellence in their work. Mediocrity is a disease that I abhor and for good reason.

You realize you do have the option to leave your reg for service or not right? I mean, you asked for an estimate, they don't give you one and you still left the reg with the bozos????
You realize that most LDSes have prices displayed (like this one did) with the caveat "plus parts and additional services". A Cousteau first and Micra second cost me just under $200.00 and not the "Oh, about a $100" that the owner told me. Mind you, I didn't fuss at ALL about the double price until the reg failed. There I was as a divemaster assisting an instructor in a Scuba Class, and I am inhaling water at @ 60FFW. If they didn't mind charging me $198 without asking me, why didn't they add another $10 and do it right to begin with? The price became a factor only after the service turned out to be less than satisfactory. I hope you can see that. I get the feeling you think I am to blame for their shoddy business practices and sub par performance in rebuilding my reg. FWIW, that shop is no longer in business. Go figure!

I know plenty of places to service gear, some are way overpriced, some have such a slow turn around time, some are unfriendly and of course some I don't trust their service, but I don't judge all services and techs equal, I choose wisely.
Me too. I choose me. I know how I want my gear to operate and frankly, I have a huge stake in it operating perfectly. A far bigger stake than they have.

There are shops who CARES about servicing YOUR gear the right way, it's for the best interest of their busyness, it's common sense.
Yes, there are. As I posted before: Most people should not be servicing their own regs. I recommend my class only to those who have the interest in making the commitments to time, money and care. It's the same with tech diving or even diving in general.

I worked as a service manager for a number of years, and I would rather have a technician that gave a damn and figured things out, than one who thought their superior training and tools made them an automotive guru. We used to laugh at the Wunder Kids who came to us fresh out of auto service tech school and couldn't figure out anything that their superior training hadn't covered in minute detail. It was obvious that a number of them saw auto repair as nothing more than a pay check and they had not made any commitment to excellence in their work. Mediocrity is a disease that I abhor and for good reason.
Wasn't it what I said? The one who service it best is the one who knows best how to service it. What part of knows best was not clear? It is obvious that a number of divers sees the opportunity to "service" their own gear as nothing more than ways to save a buck or two.

You realize that most LDSes have prices displayed (like this one did) with the caveat "plus parts and additional services". A Cousteau first and Micra second cost me just under $200.00 and not the "Oh, about a $100" that the owner told me. Mind you, I didn't fuss at ALL about the double price until the reg failed. There I was as a divemaster assisting an instructor in a Scuba Class, and I am inhaling water at @ 60FFW. If they didn't mind charging me $198 without asking me, why didn't they add another $10 and do it right to begin with? The price became a factor only after the service turned out to be less than satisfactory. I hope you can see that. I get the feeling you think I am to blame for their shoddy business practices and sub par performance in rebuilding my reg. FWIW, that shop is no longer in business. Go figure!
Oh please, no excuses there, the shop is wrong in overcharging you and misquoting you as well, but you being charged for it is 100% your fault, unless it is an hourly rate(which most don't do) they know exactly what labor is going to be, and we already know what the parts cost too, they can quote you down to the pennies, there are variables like parts outside service kits(like replacing hoses), but even then it can be agreed to service no further past the previous quoted price without YOUR authorization with a new quote, sorry doc, no sympathy for you on that one. Good to hear the shop is no longer in busyness, let the good ones serve us better.

Me too. I choose me. I know how I want my gear to operate and frankly, I have a huge stake in it operating perfectly. A far bigger stake than they have.
Off course, look at your service station, the experience you have, why would you have someone else do it?
But that doesn't mean a LDS(the right one) would do it any worst than you can, again, it's highly dependent on WHO is doing it.

Yes, there are. As I posted before: Most people should not be servicing their own regs. I recommend my class only to those who have the interest in making the commitments to time, money and care. It's the same with tech diving or even diving in general.
I agree to a certain point on this, I'm with you on those requirements but the reality is a lot of people are not honest with themselves and get into things for the wrong reasons, as you said it, most people should not be doing it, no matter how much commitments to time, money and care, it is simply not for them.

Last edited:
FWIW, here's a "minimum" list of tools you should own before working on your Hog:

Set of combination wrenches from 1/2" thru 7/8" (Please don't use an adjustable wrench)
Set of metric hex wrenches
3/16" hex wrench (port plugs)
O-ring Pick(s)
3/16" flat screwdriver
Scuba Tool's first stage handle (SKU# 20-115-100)
Work space with more than adequate lighting and maybe some magnifying ability as well
Cleaning materials (I use an ultrasonic cleaner with an expensive solution, but many use a brush and vinegar)
Wash area
Clean & dry air supply
IP (Intermediate Pressure) Gauge
Magnehelic Gauge (or a bowl of water)
Books: Regulator Savvy by Peter Wolfinger and/or Scuba Regulator Manual by Vance Harlow

It is obvious that a number of divers sees the opportunity to "service" their own gear as nothing more than ways to save a buck or two.
This is the point at which our views diverge and accounts for why we don't see eye to eye. Very few of those "number of divers" you refer to see servicing their own regs as a way to save a buck or two. Scuba Diving has never been a sport to foster frugality. Even our minimalists pay top dollar to dive with as little as possible. It's my opinion that most of the divers who turn to servicing their own regs, do so out of curiosity and/or necessity. Those who do it only to save a few dollars will probably find that their results are less than stellar and either go buy new equipment or take the regs to have someone figure them out.

The hobby reg repair person simply has a purer motivation than the professional. They don't have to meet a certain production criteria and are free to spend as much time on their equipment as they would like. If there is a funky little problem, they aren't inclined to let it slide by in hopes that the end user never makes a fuss about it. Mind you, most of those funky little problems are often caused by field repairs of dubious ingenuity. Mcguyver is a fictional character and I will never understand why people try to emulate him. :D Still, the hobby craftsman often performs as well as any professional and sometimes they are superior. Those who make the commitment to understanding, to time, to tools and to an attitude of excellence will be rewarded commensurately.

Pete, reading this board over the last few years I can't I agree with that. The impression I have gotten from the majority of posts is that they want to (or suggest brands that allow it) save the costs of servicing. It's possible that it comes down to perception, as our perceptions are our reality.

Personally I just want to know I can get the parts regardless of LDS policy and to make a connection with someone who knows their stuff and I can trust to do it right. Barring that I just want the reg to be cheap enough that I can throw the component away and replace it if needed.

I service my own gear because I want to know it's done right. I've never had a regulator failure with any regs I've serviced myself. The only problem I've ever had was with a reg that had just left the shop.

That said, there is only one shop I will use if I choose to have it done "professionally" and that's Huntington Sport and Commercial Scuba. A complete rebuild on a reg set costs about $50 to $75 there.

You want to talk car analogies? I can go to my local GM dealer and buy the GM service manual for my car, along with a truckload of axles, gears, piston rings, tie rod ends, and fuel pumps. They'll take my money, say "good luck," and send me on my way.

If I mess up while fixing my car, I can literally kill a dozen people.

Yet I can't "officially" get a couple of O-rings and a service guide for a regulator - a part whose failure is no more than a minor inconvenience for me personally - from ANY manufacturer.

The only problem I've ever had was with a reg that had just left the shop.
Did you take the time to check your just serviced gear before you left the shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom