Hogarthian vs. DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

William Hogarth Main.

Back in the 70's, and maybe earlier, he was just Bill.

You could often find him at Devils Eye or Madison or Thunderhole or... sitting and fooling around with his gear.

One of the nicest guys around, willing to explain what he was doing and why. A great help to those of us still trying to figure out how to go in a cave an not drown. He would even dive with us on occasion to help us work the kinks out of refinements we were trying to implement (usually that he invented and shared with us).

War Story: Way back, my primary light was an ikelite C-light, one of those seal-beam/6 c-cell thingy's. Bill saw us coming out of the Ear one day and went out of his way to (nicely) explain why this was a bad thing, showed us his light (home-made, no DiveRite or Halcyon back then) and spent a long time showing us how to fabricate a light, where to get parts and batteries, etc.

DIR took the Hogarthina gear configuartion, and basic principles and refined them into a total package. DIR is not simply gear, but a complete way of diving.

lol yeah, I think the only difference is DIR use that configuration for beach dives also.

Yeah I mean I did a search for Hogarthian on Google, and one of the sites I found looked like it was copied right out of the DIRF book. Not even just the gear, but even talking about fitness, etc.

Very astute of you guys! It often takes pages of arguments and definitions for people to get to your conclusion.

They are the same. They use the same equipment, were developed by the same people, have the same purpose and ideals, and are quite good.

If there is any difference, it is that DIR setup REQUIRES that you wear a certain accessory in an exactly defined location, and a "Hogarthian" diver makes his own decisions based on what is comfortable for his diving needs and abilities.

I welcome refinements to my answer, and hope they can remain civil and avoid bruised/bruising egos.

theskull

A simplifed, but still pretty accurate answer is that Hogarthian is a subset of DIR. Hogarthian is only about equipment configuration. DIR uses the basic Hogarthian configuration but builds upon it with skills, buddy awareness, fitness, dive planning, etc.

Roak

I did a search for Hogarthian on the board and really didn't find much, so...I started a new thread, or so I thought! I guess since I used the same name as an existing thread, it just bumped me to the end of that one, but why didn't that thread come up in the search to begin with?

Yeah skull it's amazing a whole thread about DIR that is about 1.5 years old with no arguments or flames!

Roakey the Hogarthian page I found (sorry can't find the link now) did discuss some theory as well as equipment configs. Would it be accurate to say that DIR was developed out of Hogarthian, and the main difference is DIR is very strict, whereas Hogarthian allows some flexibility?

Maybe Hogarthian is just a way of diving DIR without having to deal with all the militant anti DIR trolls!

grunzster once bubbled... Maybe Hogarthian is just a way of diving DIR without having to deal with all the militant anti DIR trolls!
It won't help. Any time you wear a long hose, it's like you screamed "free beer". :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom