Hogarthian vs. DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke once bubbled...
I'd expect Halcyon to make drysuits if that were the case.

Halcyon per se doesn't make the suits but the suits that are pushed are made special by Diving Concepts (5th D model), Andies(5th D model), and DUI( Cave Cut)....

Waterlover once bubbled...

Halcyon per se doesn't make the suits but the suits that are pushed are made special by Diving Concepts (5th D model), Andies(5th D model), and DUI( Cave Cut)....

They also sell split fins. How does THAT relate to Halcyon?

I don't know the difference between the Hogartian and DIR, but I like the simplicity of it. I use the BP and Wing(no bungee), long hose etc. and I think it is safer than rec. diving (thats only mine opinion). I read many articles about DIR/Hog. config. Long hose, backup reg, backplate etc. its Ok and I dive with it (maybe I DO It Right) but other things like: YOU MUST HAVE BOTTOMTIMER ON RIGHT HAND and YOU MUST PUT YOUR GOODMAN HANDLE ON YOUR LEFT HAND. Ok I will do it as they said but why. If it is more comfortable for me to have BottomTimer on my left hand and Light in my right hand I will do as I want and I don't think it is dangerous. I think a hogartian diver is somebody who dives with BP and Wing, Longhose ... and the DIR diver is somebody who use the strict rules of Do It Right (as somebody wrote before Irvine and Jablonski config)

divermata once bubbled...
I don't know the difference between the Hogartian and DIR, but I like the simplicity of it. I use the BP and Wing(no bungee), long hose etc. and I think it is safer than rec. diving (thats only mine opinion). I read many articles about DIR/Hog. config. Long hose, backup reg, backplate etc. its Ok and I dive with it (maybe I DO It Right) but other things like: YOU MUST HAVE BOTTOMTIMER ON RIGHT HAND and YOU MUST PUT YOUR GOODMAN HANDLE ON YOUR LEFT HAND. Ok I will do it as they said but why. If it is more comfortable for me to have BottomTimer on my left hand and Light in my right hand I will do as I want and I don't think it is dangerous. I think a hogartian diver is somebody who dives with BP and Wing, Longhose ... and the DIR diver is somebody who use the strict rules of Do It Right (as somebody wrote before Irvine and Jablonski config)

I'm not DIR ... heck, I'm not even sure I'm completely Hogarthian ... but I can answer your questions.

Bottom timer and depth gauge (or computer if that's what you use) goes on the right wrist so's you can monitor it while at the same time raising your BCD inflator valve over your head to vent. Comes in handy during an ascent.

Light goes on your left hand so's you won't blind your dive buddy while handing off your primary second during an OOA drill (or hopefully-not, the real emergency).

You can really do it any way you like ... but these configurations are recommended this way for a reason ... not just because Jablonski needed to add another paragraph or two to his book.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FYI: Just for a bit of background information, these are the words of someone who should know a bit about the subject.

Bill MAIN BREAKS HIS SILENCE---AT LAST!
For many years, I have watched--without responding--as some people have rewritten cave diving history to support their personal agendas. And for those many years, I have generally been amused by "facts" that are inaccurate and by events that never actually occurred. However, Jarrod's article demands a response from me, so I am making my first ever Internet posting. I feel compelled to make this response for two primary reasons.

First, Jarrod uses the words "twisted facts" in his post, when, in fact, several of his own "facts" are inaccurate. Second, I spoke to Jarrod recently and told him I was going to write an article regarding the differences between the Hogarthian configuration and DIR. When Jarrod heard this news, he became defensive and asked me not to write the article because it "would stir things up." So I complied with his request and did not write the article. If, however, I wrote the article now, there are several things I might say.

For example, I might mention that Lloyd Bailey, my long time friend, certified Jarrod in full cave on October 23, 1989, a date that's after some of the events about which Jarrod writes with seeming authority. In actuality, Jarrod was not there in the early days of the WKPP, nor was anyone else currently in that organization around in those days. In my non-article, I also might write an interesting tidbit to put some perspective on Jarrod's position in the equation. Specifically, when Jarrod was working at Ginnie Springs, we used to dive a lot together. One night, while we were decompressing on the log in Devil's Ear, I used my slate to ask Jarrod in what year he was born. When he wrote his response, I realized that I had been decompressing on what seemed to be the same log when he was only three years old. As a result, the cave diving history on which Jarrod reports is frequently nothing more than hearsay. Inasmuch as this is the case, I'd like to correct the most glaring errors Jarrod makes in his posting.

Specifically, Sheck Exley died before the term "DIR" was used. Furthermore, in the beginning of DIR, the basic configuration was the same as Hogarthian, although differences did come into play later. As far as the coining of the term "Hogarthian configuration" is concerned, the mastermind of those words was John Zumrick and not Bill Gavin. And, finally, the main theme of the original WKPP members was of minimalism and the complete elimination of “danglies”. The poor gear configuration of which Jarrod writes in his post was definitely not characteristic of the initial WKPP group, and again, Jarrod wasn't around to even witness what our gear configuration was.

In closing, Jarrod has been a part of some big events in cave diving and has made some incredible dives. However, I have always believed that if you must report on or write about parts of cave diving history, you will make fewer mistakes if you were there.

William Hogarth Main
:book2:

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...

I'm not DIR ... heck, I'm not even sure I'm completely Hogarthian ... but I can answer your questions.

Bottom timer and depth gauge (or computer if that's what you use) goes on the right wrist so's you can monitor it while at the same time raising your BCD inflator valve over your head to vent. Comes in handy during an ascent.

Light goes on your left hand so's you won't blind your dive buddy while handing off your primary second during an OOA drill (or hopefully-not, the real emergency).

You can really do it any way you like ... but these configurations are recommended this way for a reason ... not just because Jablonski needed to add another paragraph or two to his book.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thakn You for answering my questions. ;-0 I am going to change my habits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom