Hollis vs dive rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's a strange situation, if you're only diving the 19cf tank, then go to a sidemount harness without a wing, no need for a wing if you're only diving a tank that small with essentially no wetsuit.

Sorry , I may not have been clear. I dive steel lp 95cuft with a 19cuft pony mounted to it on my right side. 1.5 mm suit and 3lbs of weight on my back left hip. So I'm looking for suggestions when I switch to a plate and wing

I dive with a Hollis wing and harness. Instead of getting a one piece harness I decided on the Hollis Elite 2 harness. Really comfortable and easy to don/doff. They make fantastic products, great quality. I use my old OMS stainless steel back plate and also an OMS steel STA.

that helps actually, allows you to get basically any standard backplate.
So 12lbs of air *95 with a cave fill, plus the 20cf if it's a luxfer al19*
5lbs for the weight of the regulators and negative buoyancy of the LP95
3lbs of lead

Wing needs 20lbs of lift, so aim for like 25lbs or so to give you a bit of wiggle room.

Is the 3lbs for trim or because you actually need it to sink? If it's for trim, I'd just get a DSS Kydex rig with a Torus 26 or LCD30 and then see if you can get away without the 3lbs. In a stab jacket it may be an issue, but in a plate you shouldn't need trim weights for it

that helps actually, allows you to get basically any standard backplate.
So 12lbs of air *95 with a cave fill, plus the 20cf if it's a luxfer al19*
5lbs for the weight of the regulators and negative buoyancy of the LP95
3lbs of lead

Wing needs 20lbs of lift, so aim for like 25lbs or so to give you a bit of wiggle room.

Is the 3lbs for trim or because you actually need it to sink? If it's for trim, I'd just get a DSS Kydex rig with a Torus 26 or LCD30 and then see if you can get away without the 3lbs. In a stab jacket it may be an issue, but in a plate you shouldn't need trim weights for it
3 lbs is for trim and to get down. If I don't have it on my left side then I'm heavy on my right due to the pony . So your saying the plate would balance that problem out?and I wouldn't need the trim weight if I had a ss plate. I just don't want to be over weighted if I have to use the trim weight

no, you might not need the 3lbs to get down depending on your bc. It isn't uncommon for stab jackets to be a few pounds positive and depending on how the pony is mounted you might not be able to pack air in one side to balance it out. With only 3lbs on there I'd go with a kydex plate unless you plan on travelling or rent al80's on a regular basis.

This. However, if you can find a better deal on the Hollis then it might be worth it to you to save the cash. Halcyon is top notch, their quality is pretty instantly noticeable. Dive Rite wings are made in the USA and are good quality, I just don't like their designs. Hollis designs are better than Dive Rite, and the quality is good, but they're not "Made in USA" if that's a huge factor for you. Hog is another brand you should consider. Good quality, cheap, good designs. I have their 32# singles wing and love it. I had the Hollis S38 (pre-LX) and liked it as well. I've sold off all of my Dive Rite wings, and I've never sprung for Halcyon but can speak to their quality.

They don't seem to be so cheap anymore, prices appear to be increasing quite a bit of late

Sorry , I may not have been clear. I dive steel lp 95cuft with a 19cuft pony mounted to it on my right side. 1.5 mm suit and 3lbs of weight on my back left hip. So I'm looking for suggestions when I switch to a plate and wing

With something like this I would recommend a lightweight plate, either aluminum or the light weight Dive Rite plate.

Looking at the cylinder specifications for a Luxfer 19 it is 1.3 lbs negative full. So 1 lb should be able to balance it and a lightweight plate is around 2 lbs or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom