hollywood rock pile yellow brick road question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't been there in a few months. Hoping to get to my favorite dive site soon. I doubt it's covered in sand, though after the hurricanes last year the seafloor did change quite a bit between the YBR and the sand bar.

I WANNA LEARN HOW TO BLOW RINGS!!! I tried "teaching myself" last week on a safety stop (yes Bilsant, that's what I was doing).

I was NOT successful.

HELP!

And I haven't hit YBR since last summer. Me thinks it is time....

yeah... last time i was there was summer too :(

i wish i could be diving LBTS this weekend but already had plans for the Highland Games on Sat.

wait.... i don't have plans on Sunday though..........

"I WANNA LEARN HOW TO BLOW RINGS!!! I tried "teaching myself" last week on a safety stop (yes Bilsant, that's what I was doing)."

So THAT's what that was! I thought you were just blowing kisses at some turtle as it went by.

I'll show you the next time we share a safety stop...

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 11:03 PM ----------

yeah... last time i was there was summer too :(

i wish i could be diving LBTS this weekend but already had plans for the Highland Games on Sat.

wait.... i don't have plans on Sunday though..........

Why don't you check out Gold Coast Scuba's Meetup? They're doing a beach dive to the Copenhagen Sunday.

Finally got to the YBR yesterday. Just as I got there, I received a text alert that there was a high surf advisory and rip current alert. After we did a visual of the area, we determined that the rollers on the sand bar was the biggest problem, but otherwise a very doable dive. No white caps, no noticeable current. The waves breaking on the sand bar were 100 to 400 yards long and 3ft high. But there was some breaks in the action that when timed gave us plenty of opportunity to get past.
We headed out and just before we got to the sand bar realized we forgot the flag. duh. I left my buddy in chest high water, and I went back to get the flag. We made it past the sandbar and swam on our backs to where I thought was a good place to drop down. The buoy is not there for reference.
Sometimes you get lucky and look pretty good. :D We dropped down and within 2 minutes were at the beginning of the bricks. The reef is covered in a yellow fluffy algae. It was coming loose and floating in the water column like big fluffy snowflakes.
Surge was evident, but doable. We went to the south side of the rock pile to get out of the current then out to the end of the yellow brick road. Killed two lionfish, and a third has quite a few holes in it. It managed twice to wiggle off the spear. Out at the end of the YBR, there is a lot of sand covering the bricks. I've been diving this since 1993 and have never seen so much sand there. I can only hope these spring winds at come every year will shift it back off and rid the area of the yellow algae.

On the way in, the surge picked up and we were going forward 3 feet, and back 2. We surfaced in about 5 ft of water. Next thing we know, we are on the sandbar and the waves are breaking, pummeling us. Neptune took my mask. I had it on my face with my hand holding it. A wave came from behind and ripped it off. So, if anybody finds a black mask drop in lenses, I sure would appreciate its return.

On the way in, the surge picked up and we were going forward 3 feet, and back 2. We surfaced in about 5 ft of water. Next thing we know, we are on the sandbar and the waves are breaking, pummeling us. Neptune took my mask. I had it on my face with my hand holding it. A wave came from behind and ripped it off. So, if anybody finds a black mask drop in lenses, I sure would appreciate its return.

Oh no!!! This is the second time YBR has claimed your mask! What IS it with you and that site?!?

I know. And thought "I lost my mask once here already. I need to hold on to it." And bam! Got slammed from the back of the head again and I felt it and my beanie get ripped off and out of my grasp.

I know. And thought "I lost my mask once here already. I need to hold on to it." And bam! Got slammed from the back of the head again and I felt it and my beanie get ripped off and out of my grasp.

Need put it around your neck when you surface :wink:
Its ok, I dropped my cam set up, good thing the divemaster saw where it landed on the coral 40ft down or so. LOL Expensive loss

Finally got to the YBR yesterday.
The buoy is not there for reference.
Sometimes you get lucky and look pretty good. :D We dropped down and within 2 minutes were at the beginning of the bricks. The reef is covered in a yellow fluffy algae. It was coming loose and floating in the water column like big fluffy snowflakes.

Thank you for the update!

I've never dived this spot before. It sounds like the buoy was a major reference point for this dive site.

With this being a new location to me, are there any permanent landmarks (buildings etc) that can be used as refferance points?
It looks like a rad site, I just need to know how to get there.

any detailed directions would be greatly appreciated.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom