Home made log book pages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep a paper log book for administrative reasons. I know that there are many dive companies out there but PADI (the kool-aid that I drink :geek:) requires the diver to actually send copies of your log book pages to them to verify dives.

Now of course this case could be argued that a diver could falsify this information but I'm sure any experienced diver will instantly be able to tell if that new guy really does have 200 dives under his belt when he blows through a safety stop due to bad buoyancy. :shakehead:

I am almost done with my PADI Divemaster course which I had to prove (via logbook pages) to the Instructor that I had at least 20 dives to begin the course and I have to send my logs to PADI to prove that I have at least 60 when complete. I also intend on becoming an Instructor myself and have to prove that I have at least 100 dives (via logbook pages) before being able to start that process. When I begin Tech dive training I have to prove (via logbook pages) that I have at least 20 dives on Nitrox and 150 dives total at a minimum.

The bottom line is that even if you think you will never go beyond the most basic training you will definitely regret not keeping good logs when the day comes that you want to move up or gain a deeper understanding of a specific topic in diving.

IMHO - computer logs are ok but in the world of liability it's crazy not to be able to produce a paper logbook with a buddy dive number attached to each dive.

I prefer paper logs - find it easier to jot down notes and thoughts with a pen in my hand rather than behind a keyboard. Also lets me do it on-site and get it signed, and make sketches.

Made the attached log with Scribus, but I'd recommend any desktop publishing software. The learning curve can be steep at first, but they give you the best results in my opinion. Inkscape and other vector software is a close second.

It's true that it's easier to make backups of electronic logs, but I'd worry about the dive logging software becoming obsolete and rendering the logs unreadable. I'm compromising by backing up scans of my paper logs.

Attachments

• divelog3.pdf
    174.5 KB · Views: 328
Why not keep a computer dive log and then just print out the logbook if you need a hard copy...? Attached are samples from the two programs that I have used (Dive Log and Mac Dive)..

attachment.php

attachment.php

What software are you using for your dive logs? Thanks

What software are you using for your dive logs? Thanks

I used to use Dive Log, now I use MacDive (macdive - home).

Phenomenal tech support! The developer has emailed me back within minutes to address problems and provide guidance.. A really nice guy.

Mike

I just created a Word template ... simple tabular format that I can easily fill in for each dive. I can print each page if I want to, but I haven't done so for at least 10 years now. The whole logbook's on my home computer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's the technique i use, while it might be to advanced for some i will try to explain it the best i can.
1. I go to the store and buy a notebook.
2. I take it to the dive location
3. I dive
4. I open notebook
5. I write information about dive in notebook
6. Repeat from #3 if conducting multiple dives in a day
7. Repeat from #2 If finished diving for the day.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom