Hoping to go to Roatan!!! Lots of questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im a another one who thinks staying in West End has advantages over an all inclusuve resort. There are WONDERFUL options for restaurants, nite life if you so desire,a short water taxi ride to a beautiful beach and a wide variety of accomidations for all budgets all within walking distance. It can be done much less expensively than all inclucives if you want. It also gives you the chioce of many dive operations in case you arent pleased ,for whatever reason, with the one you are using. The problem with most of the all inclusives is that once you are there,there is little else to to but dive. They are generally some distance from towns. You are a captive audiance. Not that there is anything wrong with that....but it cuts your options a little . I want to preface this posting by saying Ive only seen,but never dove CCV or Fanatsy Island,but have been to Bay Islands Beach resort,Inn of the Last Resort and AKR. All the places Ive stayed and seen were very nice.I have no idea about the quality of the diving on the South side,but have noticed some substantial deterioration fof the reefs over the past 10 years in the marine reserve on the North side.

goofygirl:
Here's where we're considering staying:
CocoView Resort
Anthony's Key Resort
Inn of Last Resort

I, like you, have decided that Roatan is going to be my next place to visit (after my Coz trip in 2 weeks that is!)

If you go to the CoCoView website you can request a DVD from them (it ships from the U.S.)... Smart marketing on their part. You can also watch the movies on the website but the little 2" X 2" picture doesn't do it justice.

If they weren't completely booked in Feb. we would be going there instead of Coz. Not that I'm complaining of course!

Enjoy your trip and make sure to post a trip report, i found your Coz report very entertaining.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the great advice and info, keep it coming!

A few more questions...
We're planning on using miles to take care of our airfare. Unfortunately our miles are with AA and they don't fly to Roatan, so we were thinking of using them to fly into San Pedro Sula (AA does fly into there) and then paying for an inter-island flight to Roatan. Has anyone ever done this before? Does it make sense? Do you know the name of the inter-island airline or how we would go about booking this?

Also, how's the water in Roatan? Potable? Purified? Or will be be drinking bottled water the whole trip?

MoodieJeff- glad you found the Coz report entertaining! Have a great time on your trip! Wave 'hi' to the fishies and turtles and everyone else for me! :wink:

goofygirl:
Hi everyone! Thanks for the great advice and info, keep it coming!

A few more questions...
We're planning on using miles to take care of our airfare. Unfortunately our miles are with AA and they don't fly to Roatan, so we were thinking of using them to fly into San Pedro Sula (AA does fly into there) and then paying for an inter-island flight to Roatan. Has anyone ever done this before? Does it make sense? Do you know the name of the inter-island airline or how we would go about booking this?

Also, how's the water in Roatan? Potable? Purified? Or will be be drinking bottled water the whole trip?

Roatan Charters should be able to help you out with your travel plans http://www.roatan.com./

The tap water at the resorts is not recommended to drink.

You can drink the water they provide in the restuarants at the resorts, and the water they provide in your room in the 5 gal jugs. Brush your teeth with the water from the jugs . It is ok to shower in the tap water just keep your mouth closed.

Goofygirl - about air miles. I am going to Roatan (Fantasy Island) for my first time on Feb. 12. I also used air miles with AA. They can get you to Roatan because they share with TACA. I had no problem making the reservation. Just give them a call.

jakz2fun:
Goofygirl - about air miles. I am going to Roatan (Fantasy Island) for my first time on Feb. 12. I also used air miles with AA. They can get you to Roatan because they share with TACA. I had no problem making the reservation. Just give them a call.

Thanks jakz! That's great to know! I tried to check into it online, but I guess the computer couldn't figure out that it could be done. When we get everything all straightened out I'll have to call them directly and try it that way.

So I emailed Cocoview to check availability for the middle 2weeks of May and they have no availability for either week, but they offered to put us on some wait list and if no rooms free up they'll put us in one of the beach houses for the same price as staying in the resort. Does this sound like it's kosher? Is it an awful schlep from the beach houses to the resort for diving and meals? Is it worth it?

goofygirl:
So I emailed Cocoview to check availability for the middle 2weeks of May and they have no availability for either week, but they offered to put us on some wait list and if no rooms free up they'll put us in one of the beach houses for the same price as staying in the resort. Does this sound like it's kosher? Is it an awful schlep from the beach houses to the resort for diving and meals? Is it worth it?

It is not a bad walk and they do provide bicycles with baskets on the front if you want to ride back and forth. The farthest beach house is about a 5 minute stroll.

We will be there at that time on Dee's trip. I know she has a few openings if you would want to consider going with a group. It is going to be a lot of fun.
Check it out. http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=719640#post719640

goofygirl:
MoodieJeff- glad you found the Coz report entertaining! Have a great time on your trip! Wave 'hi' to the fishies and turtles and everyone else for me! :wink:

I will do that! Less than a week to go!

Hmmm, I'm dismayed to hear that CoCoView is booked so far in advance. I guess that's a good sign though. I've decided that for me the best time to head down there will be late summer, early fall. I'm hoping it doesn't fill up quite so fast at that time... I'm a last minute vacation planner.

parrotheaddiver:
It is not a bad walk and they do provide bicycles with baskets on the front if you want to ride back and forth. The farthest beach house is about a 5 minute stroll.

We will be there at that time on Dee's trip. I know she has a few openings if you would want to consider going with a group. It is going to be a lot of fun.
Check it out. http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=719640#post719640

Hmmmm....decisions, decisions.
Must ponder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom