hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to beat a dead horse on this, but it seems it would be a challenge to come up with a pony rig that could be donated in whole in an OOA situation.

Ignoring the controversy of needing one: SS snaps would allow it to move around while you swim. Any kind of solid connection would prevent it from being handed off in time. Velcro would probably not be robust enough to hold it if you rubbed up against something. Bungies might be awkward to break loose especially on a larger pony.

My rig has the necklace and 5 foot hose and seems to be easy to manage. I use a small pony "hard wired" to my backplate upside down, on my left with the hose and reg bungied to it...one tug and it is free. BUT I only use that for solo diving to allow a non-panicked assent in case I blow an O ring...or something like that. I have no intention of handing it off to anyone.

My 2 cents...

Jon

Your complicating your rig..and worse...a paniced diver does not care to look around to grab air. It is coming out of your mouth.

Strip away your poney for a minute. Configure your reg and hose. As described priviuosly. Now your fine. You are able to hand off your reg to an OOA.

Now. Get rid of your octo on inflator. There is a problem as I see it. How do you control your rig when it is attached to your octo when it is in your mouth? Just asking if this is the case.

Now for your poney. DO NOT put your poney reg around your neck. It is the worse place for it. It will cause you more confusion than anything else. Especially in an OOA situation.

The solution to what you want with what you got is to bunggie your hose and reg to the poney tank. One yank and off it goes to an OOA. The way you describe it, the reg should be at your hip so you can grab it without looking. And it just slides out of its harness. Just like a stage bottle sling.

Now the BEST way. String your poney as a stage bottle. it is the simplest easiest way to do this. As mentioned prior. Stage a poney rather than have it on your back/side. Staged poney is very easy to deploy and donate. plus you can control it and deploy it faster.

If you have not tried it do so. It is not in the way and it is more streamlined than you think

Safe dives.

paintsnow:
i dont like staged
thats why its attached to my tank
and why im having problems
:)

This is the trick answer, right?

Jon C:
Ignoring the controversy of needing one: SS snaps would allow it to move around while you swim. Any kind of solid connection would prevent it from being handed off in time. Velcro would probably not be robust enough to hold it if you rubbed up against something. Bungies might be awkward to break loose especially on a larger pony.

There is a set up which allows a pony to be attached to the primary tank and can also be easily detached. PSDs use it in their set ups. It's a solid connection that just "snaps" off. I don't know the hose routing because I don't dive that configuration. When I was a PSD, the team I was on didn't use ponies - one of the reasons I dropped the team.

Dive-aholic:
There is a set up which allows a pony to be attached to the primary tank and can also be easily detached. PSDs use it in their set ups. It's a solid connection that just "snaps" off. I don't know the hose routing because I don't dive that configuration. When I was a PSD, the team I was on didn't use ponies - one of the reasons I dropped the team.

Could you reach the release by yourself or did a buddy have to detach it?

Jon

paintsnow:
i have no clue what to do
i dont have an octo on my main setup but use a intergrated inflator(Zeagle Octo+)
i would like a longer hose on my primary regulator for 2 reasons
easyer to share air, and more streamlined. 7 ft seems too long for me and i would like to set this up without tucking into the belt(Zeagle Ranger)
i was thinking that a 5 foot hose coming over on my right, under my right arm, across my chest, under my left arm, around my neck, and into my mouth would work. i might be wrong so please feel free to comment on that.

i would also like my pony bottle's reg to be on a necklace.
the pony would be mounted upsidedown and now i cant decide how long of a hose and how to route it. which should be on top and why?
the pony would be on a bracket allowing it to be released for a possible hand off. but if i put it over the primary hose it would interfere with standard air sharing.

please help me out and if you need any more info just ask.

thank you in advanced

It might be a good idea to use a "tried and true" configuration. Diving is a reasonably mature sport. There are plenty of configurations that allow you to deal with the most common of the issues you will run into. What you are trying to do here sounds a lot like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Just remember, more is not always necessarily better.

Just trying to get something straight here, your plan is as follows:
Have a 5ft primary, an integrated inflator/octo as your secondary and have a pony mounted inverted on your tank with a hose running up your back and ending with a bungied second stage? So if your buddy runs out of air you will first donate the reg out of your mouth and switch to your inflator, then unbungie the pony reg from around your neck, detach your pony w/long hose, give it to your out of air buddy and take back your primary? So now your buddy has a pony with a long hose with no way to mount the pony or route the hose? I think you should talk yourself through your plan here and think of all the additional steps you're adding on. IF you really want to bring a pony along sling it like a stage

Pardon me if I'm not too polite but Dude! This is a cluster******... There's a reason why you aren't getting any answers.... it's because it is convoluted and overy complicated.

If we were to dive together and you showed up with a rig like that I would bow out. I can't see myself being a good buddy and team mate without having to totally relearn OOA's and all your 3 regulators and pony ect....

Say it like ya mean it..:wink:,,I was polite..but could not agree more.

Ben_ca:
Pardon me if I'm not too polite but Dude! This is a cluster******... There's a reason why you aren't getting any answers.... it's because it is convoluted and overy complicated.

If we were to dive together and you showed up with a rig like that I would bow out. I can't see myself being a good buddy and team mate without having to totally relearn OOA's and all your 3 regulators and pony ect....

scarefaceDM:
Say it like ya mean it..:wink:,,I was polite..but could not agree more.

Yup.

But somehow I'm not sure it will make a difference ...

You know, people solve things on the couch without enough time actually doing it to work out what's actually involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom