hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paintsnow:
Dive-aholic
it might not be very likely but i was just using it as an example
that is the main purpose of the pony(redundant air source)
but it could be handed off easyly IF necessary
thanx all seems like im actually going to bungee the hose and the reg to the pony afterall so that i can either grab the reg or hand it off.

i am also planning on rigging a handle onto the bottle similar to the slung setup so that its not dropped as easily

As has been pointed out very well in this thread, you're trying to solve problems with complicated solutions when simple solutions exist. What will happen is the panicked OOG diver will grab your primary out of your mouth while you are fiddling around trying to get your pony off of your main cylinder and you will have to go to your air2 anyway. Throw in a dislodged mask and things get a bit more difficult.

A pony is there for catastrophic loss of your gas. It is not for donating. The reason you have a 5' (or 7') hose is to make donating the primary easier and give some space between you and the OOG diver until things calm down and you and buddy can make a contolled ascent.

good point, there is no good reason to be handing off bottles on a recreational dive.

arg
i have already decided that the pony will be on the quick release with the reg and hose bungeed to it so that i can access it if i need to
and the standard air sharing drill stays the same
the pony is just there if anything happens with my gas
and it has the POSIBILITY of being handed off
i listened to the advice given
im routing the main hose as follows:
tank, under right arm, across chest, around neck, into mouth,
in an OOA situation
i donate that
and switch to Air2 or whatever you want to call it(mines a zeagle octo+)
if there isnt enough gas to get to the surface for any reason thats where the pony comes in
what am i doing wrong now?
it seems like you are trying to get me to drop the pony all together and switch to a DIR or HOG setup
im not doing either
but i have listened to advice, simplyfied things and gotten the pony out of the way unless needed. the handle i mentiond would not just be used IF it was being handed off, but if i wanted to remove it from the mount under any circumstance. above or below water, it just makes it easyer.

what am i not listening to now?

paintsnow:
arg
i have already decided that the pony will be on the quick release with the reg and hose bungeed to it so that i can access it if i need to
and the standard air sharing drill stays the same
the pony is just there if anything happens with my gas
and it has the POSIBILITY of being handed off
i listened to the advice given
im routing the main hose as follows:
tank, under right arm, across chest, around neck, into mouth,
in an OOA situation
i donate that
and switch to Air2 or whatever you want to call it(mines a zeagle octo+)
if there isnt enough gas to get to the surface for any reason thats where the pony comes in
what am i doing wrong now?
it seems like you are trying to get me to drop the pony all together and switch to a DIR or HOG setup
im not doing either
but i have listened to advice, simplyfied things and gotten the pony out of the way unless needed. the handle i mentiond would not just be used IF it was being handed off, but if i wanted to remove it from the mount under any circumstance. above or below water, it just makes it easyer.

what am i not listening to now?

Thanks. Now I can go to sleep.:D

Honestly, I am not trying to get you to switch to a DIR rig. If I was I would have told you to get rid of the pony and Zeagle octo+ and go with redundant first stages on an H-Valve with a 7-foot primary, a 22" back-up on a bungied necklace around your neck.

Just trying to help you understand that simpler is usually safer.

everything you've described in your last post is fine. But if you want to had off a bottle, somehow attaching it to your main tank is a poor location IMO - since you won't be able to reach it and most (all?) pony mounts are not designed for quick release. What if it comes loose inadvertently?

If you want to hand it off your best solution is to sling it.

haha what i described in post #43 is just a recap or what i had said in my previous posts leading up to this one

i apologize if it wasnt clear and krcollins, i wasnt necessarly refering to you but i got that vibe from bergersauin post 32.

sorry if i confuzed you guys and i know there were problems with my original plan thats why i posted this thread.

i think i have pretty much everything figured out by now or at least as best as i can until i actually buy the hoses and experiment.

(im pretty sure i said i didnt have the long hose yet and the pony wasnt fully configured , or at least i ment to )

thanx again

paintsnow:
i have already decided NOT to stage it but am curious as to why bergersau thinks clipping off the pony reg to a chest d- ring is problematic?
You don't want to make a mistake with which reg to grab in an emergency - you or your buddy.
i know about staged bottles being used for deco and different gasses but honestly im not going to be doing that all too soon so the MOD isnt important to me cause there isnt one(well rec limits of course but not a true MOD)
if (when) i start doing deco dives i can then sling the pony but for now it will do best on my back.
Why not start out doing things in a way that carry's through to more advanced forms of diving?
what would the difference between clipping the reg to a chest d-ring and using bungees to hold it down flush with the bottle be?

If the bottle is staged then using bungees to secure the 2nd stage to the bottle is clean and self contained, easy to stow, low risk of entanglement and you positivly know which bottle the reg belongs to.
If you must have the pony behind you the yes you'd need to clip it off in front of you somehow.

Please think it through and ensure it doesn't prevent you using your main cylinder reg AND backup quickly and easily. Don't create problems for your existing rig by adding gear in a way that blocks or tangles or otherwise confuses things. Remember your buddy may not be as familiar with your gear as you are and you need to take that into account.
i dont see any huge differences or problems
but if you do please point them out

Remember, in this game what you don't know CAN hurt you.

ALWAYS do things as you see fit - it's your life after all but please listen to others who have more experience (I'm not talking about myself here - I still have well under a hundred dives.) and evaluate their opinions first.

Edit:
PS: I am not trying to talk you into a full Hog or DIR rig. But when it comes to stages and long hose routing I've yet to see a cleaner solution. Hence my suggestions, and again the only reason I linked to the GUE page was for the photo's.

bergersau-
i would be securing the reg using bungees on the pony tank.
the reg would be at the bottom next to where the valve is so i can easily reach it and pull to release the hose

also to reduce the posibility of mixing up regs im going to leave my zeagle flathead vi as the primary and use a poseidon Xstream duration/90 regulator on the pony.

edit: the pony is still attached to the tank useing the ponyease rescue edition (detachable)

Bad idea to bungie the pony reg to the pony behind you. Have you thought about how you will deploy the reg if you need it? Turning on the valve while trying to get the reg in your mouth is going to be very difficult. BTW, did you know you should keep pony bottles turned off until needed? If you really want to keep the pony bottle behind you, then put it valve up and route the reg around the right under the 5' hose, as a double tank set up would be. Then make sure you can reach back to the pony bottle and turn the valve on. Better yet, get a lot more experience before you start wasting money on things you won't like anymore in another 50 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom