Hose protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have loose hose protectors (i.e. easy to push in/out to clean) at the 1st stage attachment but not where the hose attach to the 2nd stage.
JL

laserdoc:
Wow ...everyone hates them. Guess I will take all of mine off now. Thank god I only had tried to put one on. The other hoses already had them.

Hose protectors are actually DIR, for those GUE types. See the section on hoses. Call them "strain reliefs", but they sure look like hose protectors to me.

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

Not too long ago, I was at the shop when someone came in with a leaking reg. When the "protectors" were pulled back, the hoses were completely destroyed, and had actually started to corrode the first stage at the ports. While most people do take care of their gear better than this person, hose protectors just trap too much debris and moisture to a voulnerable fitting. I have never had a hose damaged because of it being kinked at the ferrule, but have seen hoses give up an early death because of the stress from pulling like crazy on tight protectors trying to get them off and on.

laserdoc:
Wow ...everyone hates them. Guess I will take all of mine off now. Thank god I only had tried to put one on. The other hoses already had them.
They are only hated on Scubaboard. Everywhere else hose protectors are considered strain reliefs and do the job they are intended for --- lessing the likelyhood of putting sharp kink and destroying the hose at the fitting on the end.

The "hides salt and sand" excuse is just that, an excuse. It takes just a second to pull them down to inspect and clean beneath them.

Warren L:
Hose protectors are actually DIR, for those GUE types http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html
Thanks for the link. To make it easier for critics of hose protectors to see GUE's recommendations :

GUE equipment config webpage:
Hoses

Divers should use high quality hoses to reduce the risk of hose rupture, and hoses should be replaced every several years or when they begin to show wear. All hoses should be fitted with strain relief to reduce the risk of kinking and failure. While under pressure, divers should periodically pull the protector aside to ensure that there are no leaks or impending failures.

hoseconfig-all.jpg

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

To make it easier for critics of hose protectors to see GUE's recommendations :

Not everyone bows to the mighty scuba gods. The fact is, they do trap moisture, and sand, and whatever is small enough to get in there. And the added stress on the hose to pull them off, and back on, just accelerates hose wear. That is, if you take them off for inspection, or regular cleaning. For those that don't, trouble awaits. At the worst possible time.

dbg40:
Not everyone bows to the mighty scuba gods.
....the added stress on the hose to pull them off, and back on, just accelerates hose wear.
Just take it then, that at least SOME technical divers think that there is merit in properly maintained and used hose protectors.

The two hose protectors on my reg set slide down easily for protection. The LPI and SPG hoses don't have protectors. So obviously, I'm not dogmatic about it one way or the other. :)

dbg40:
To make it easier for critics of hose protectors to see GUE's recommendations :

The fact is, they do trap moisture, and sand, and whatever is small enough to get in there. And the added stress on the hose to pull them off, and back on, just accelerates hose wear. That is, if you take them off for inspection, or regular cleaning. For those that don't, trouble awaits. At the worst possible time.

Yeah, and it would be idiotic to just leave them there, but if they're not too tight there is negligable stress to pull them off and put them back on viv a vis the consistant stress on an unprotected hose.

If properly routed, and they are of the correct length, there should be no stress on any hose during normal use. And unfortunatly, more people than not, never look under the protector. If yours fit that loosely, and you remove, clean, and let dry every time you use them, then thats great. But the facts in my experience, are that they hide damage from improper care. Not to mention that I like to have them right there where I can inspect them before I drop into the water.

dbg40:
If properly routed, and they are of the correct length, there should be no stress on any hose during normal use. And unfortunatly, more people than not, never look under the protector. If yours fit that loosely, and you remove, clean, and let dry every time you use them, then thats great. But the facts in my experience, are that they hide damage from improper care. Not to mention that I like to have them right there where I can inspect them before I drop into the water.

I agree, but I'm not sure I believe there is no stress on a proprerly routed hose during normal use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom