Hose protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evad:
I agree, but I'm not sure I believe there is no stress on a proprerly routed hose during normal use.

I would think that this would vary somewhat between different first stages. There are some that I think are not well suited for a doubles setup, for example.

evad:
I agree, but I'm not sure I believe there is no stress on a proprerly routed hose during normal use.

It's not just normal use you have to worry about. You need to consider what happens when it's coiled up and stuffed in a regulator bag.

I have hose protectors at both ends of all my hoses. They are loose enough to slide without putting undue strain on the hoses, but they're snug enough to prevent the hoses from kinking at the ferules. I pull them down to clean them after each day of diving, and leave them down while it's hung up to dry. Based on this thread I need to add the step of checking the hose ends after pressurizing the rig. With these precautions in places, I have the best of all worlds, and not a lot of effort.

Just slide them on after you pressuize.

For those who do use hose protectors: I just picked up a T-Tool installer for $22.50 and ten hose protectors for $6.30 from the eBay store, Aqua Toys Plus. They let me mix and match the colors of the protectors from 15 color choices. The cost of shipping for those items and for 6lbs of hard and soft lead weights was $12.50. You can also choose the color of the vinyl coating on the hard weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom