Hoses to Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptAl

Registered
Reaction score
Is it recommended that a bit of silicone be added to O-rings before attaching hoses (octo, etc.) to Reg's first stage or better to attach dry?

"A bit" is the key. Get a tiny amount of silicone grease on your finger, rub finger and thumb together, then rub the o-ring between finger and thumb - just enough to make the o-ring shiny.
If you're going to use the reg for anything over 40% oxygen, then don't use silicone - get viton o-rings and use christolube.
Rick

CaptAl,

I just wanted to add a little to what Rick wrote. Remember that the grease is not the sealant! Its function is to keep the o-ring soft, flexible, and prevent abrasion from a "dry" surface. That is why you only need enough to cover the surface--any more is wasted and could cause problems.

The key thing to remember again: the grease is not the sealant!

Joewr--who wishes there was a grease we could use on some people to keep them soft, flexible and non-abrasive!

Goo (the scientific term) whether it be "krystolube", "torrseal", "gloop" or any of the many silicone based products, will NOT fill a void caused by cracked or scratched O-Rings, pitted, gouged, rusty, flaking, porous or cracked sealing surfaces. They can (and will) increase the sealing ability of any O-Ring interface, by lubricating and covering microscopic imperfections. In other words, they can only work on smooth CLEAN surfaces. Use your elbow grease first (BUT USE NO_NO_NO petroleum solvents- just alcohol, and dry thoroughly), then any other grease/sealant that is appropriate for the gas you are using. Less is better, and the O-Ring should barely glisten. Excess grease will attract and retain dirt, and dirt will ruin seals. Viton O-Rings are great, but unless you plan on not having your equipment serviced yearly, there is little that a higher Oxy content will do to most modern day O-Rings in that short amount of time. We only used viton in Chlorine, Flourine, and other caustic environments.

BTW, this comes from TOO many hours in cryogenic research labs determining the nominal spectra of various compounds and isotopes of Hydrogen. Mois was not the scientist, but the "plumber" (aka Lab Technician, and Lab Machinist; also affectionately called "Mr Makeitwork", "McGuyver", "hey you" and "G*D DAMMIT"). Some one pass me the sill torr and the sniffer... I got a 10-3 torr leak in this manifold...

:tease:

Rick, NetDoc, & joewr ... many thanx for the replies and info. It was not only informational, but also VERY entertaining.

From Rick you get information, fron NetDoc & Joewr you get.........Heckel & Jeckel

ID

Hey Joe,

I found where Iggy lost his dive knife... thwwwwiiipp... here it is in my back. Hey I think he lost his other one in you!!! Let me help you with that old (don't take that too personally) friend... thwiiiipp... There now, feel better? If we stick together we may one day overcome the Super Regulator...

Look in the water... its a bird, its a toad... yeah, it is a toad!!!

:tease:

NetDoc,

Weren't Heckel and Jeckel adorable cartoon characters--crows, if memory serves--whom everyone loved? Surely, that is what Iguana Dawn meant! Hmmmm, now that you mention it, my back is feeling a little better now! I wonder...?

Say, that was not a toad you saw: it was a toady!

Joewr...who is at a loss for words...but don't get your hopes up!

Hello Most of the information listed above was correct with the exception.

You never use Alcohol on o-rings, because it breaks down the natural oils in oring and deteriorates them as well, If you want to clean O-rings the solvent of choice is Simple green and then rinse with fresh water. If you intend on cleaning the orings for use with nitrox or high levels of o2 there are a few more steps to complete the process safely.

the use of viton is not the only happy material to use for nitrox or o2. the safer material is EPDM which is less expensive, has been used in hospital o2 systems for @20 years and finally if a flash off occurs EPDM will provide a noxious gas that will make you sick but not kill, As for Viton in a flash off it provides a phosgene based gas that will kill (DRT) dead right there.

Recommended lubricants are as listed above with best choice for nitrox/o2 lube to be Christo-lube made by Lubrication Technologies.

There are several other posts on the board about cleaning for nitrox and o2 use they provide alot of great information feel free to check them out.

Dive safe and take care of your equipment.

rainreg.

Originally posted by joewr
NetDoc,

Weren't Heckel and Jeckel adorable cartoon characters--crows, if memory serves--whom everyone loved ?

Joewr,
They were Magpies (ms?)

I know your older than I am... hmmmm (thinking to self)How long before my memory starts to go???)Just kidding Joe. :D:

I have a grandchild too.

Tavi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom