Hot-Dipped Galvanized steel tank versus Triple Protected Galvanized Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Are the new Hot-Dipped Galvanized steel tank from Faber worth the ~ $100 price differential with the triple protected galvenized tanks? I am not sure.
Thanks.

in my opinion yes. They will withstand a lot more abuse to corrosion than the painted tanks. Maybe not as much as hot dipped, but they will be much closer. You have to take a lot of extra care with the painted tanks and it's frankly quite annoying.

Not annoying for me but I always wonder if the inside is dry or its rusting.

um... aren't we talking about a coating that is only on the outside?????

Last edited:
Deleted post due to error of information posted.

Last edited:
Hot dipped galvenized is done on both inside and outside of tank. The other version I am not sure what happens on the inside. I don't think its pure steel surface as it would rust quickly.
I have both PST and Worthington galvanized tanks and there is no galvanizing on the inside.

Hot dipped galvenized is done on both inside and outside of tank. The other version I am not sure what happens on the inside. I don't think its pure steel surface as it would rust quickly.

Not true. Galvinization is only on the outside of the cylinder,

Are the new Hot-Dipped Galvanized steel tank from Faber worth the ~ $100 price differential with the triple protected galvenized tanks? I am not sure.
Thanks.

Where did you see hot dipped galvinized tanks from Faber???

I have hot-dipped cylinders from Worthington, PST, and Norris. The oldest one was manufactured in 1960 and just came back from hydro with a + stamp on it. 56 year old cylinder. Others are of varying ages with the newest being about 15 years old. None of them show any signs of rust.

I have a painted cylinders including some Faber "triple protected ones" and they all show rust on the accumulated scratches and chips that inevitably come with handling and diving them. Even the one that's just 2 years old.

None of these have galvanizing inside. I've looked myself. A couple of the old ones had some sort of liner made of teflon or fancy paint or something. Usually I've had the liners removed by shot blasting although I have one cylinder from 1962 where the liner is in good enough shape that I left it alone.

Where did you see hot dipped galvinized tanks from Faber???

Faber is making galvanized cylinders, but they're not hot dipped, it's a flame spray process. You can order them from DRIS's web site. While everyone seems to have an opinion about the relative longevity of cylinders made using this process, I think that time is the only thing that will show us how good it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom