Hot-Dipped Galvanized steel tank versus Triple Protected Galvanized Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what I have for the earlier tanks - The new F7 looks to be a re-issue of the FX-100 and I did notice that all the tanks are listed as being available in the flame-sprayed or HDG finish. Hopefully this will ease some of the ridiculous prices for the used HDG tanks

OEM Mdl PSI CFt Dia Finish Ht Empty Wt Bouyancy (lb)

(in) (in) w/valve (lb) empty full
Faber FX-100 3442 100 7.24 Triple 25.39 34.3 -0.59 -8.41
Faber HP-100 3180 +10% 100 7.25 Triple 24.01 38.7 -7.26 -14.76
PST E7-100 3442 100 7.25 Galv 24.12 33 -1 -8.5
PST 100 3500 102 7.25 Galv 23.94 34.1 -1.3 -8.8
Worthington X7-100 3442 100 7.25 Galv 24 33 -2.5 -10

i doubt these fabers will sell well enough that you're going to see the used pst/worthington tanks drop a lot in value. there still is a pretty big gap between what these new fabers are listing for and what used hp100s are going for. not everybody who is in the market for used hdg hp100s is going to just run out and buy the new fabers.

Faber is making galvanized cylinders, but they're not hot dipped, it's a flame spray process. You can order them from DRIS's web site. While everyone seems to have an opinion about the relative longevity of cylinders made using this process, I think that time is the only thing that will show us how good it is.

I have tanks that were originally painted that I had sand blasted and thermal (flame) sprayed. They have performed well, with some on their 3rd retest. Keep in mind that zinc is a sacrificial anode that provides protection even if it is scratched or scratched off in some areas of the tanks. The bottoms of steel tanks, particularly doubles lead a pretty brutal life. My tanks have lost their coating on a couple "Stripes" on the bottom, but the aside from a little discoloration the rest of the zinc has limited the formation of more than a little surface rust. I've been very happy and would do it again.

Tobin

Would it be fair to say that from a cost/benefit perspective, these tanks should appeal more to a salt water diver who dives frequently than a fresh water diver who dives occasionally? That's some very expensive corrosion resistance.

it's not that expensive, flame spray and hot dip are not cheap processes. This benefits all divers though the salt water divers especially

divegearexpress is also now advertising the Faber hot-dipped galvanized HP tanks, in stock.

Back
Top Bottom