Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another positive note to add about Hotel Coz -

If you plan to dive, dive, dive (like I do when I am there), the convenience of Staying at Hotel Coz with AI and diving with Dive Paradise is hard to beat. Dive lockers and fresh water showers right by the docks, food less than 200 feet away (plenty of protein and carb choices even if not gormet). And even if you do not drink alcohol (waste money on alcohol), there are plenty of other refreshments to enjoy, like pinata's, so it is easy to get your money's worth for sure.

I agree on the convenience. I've stayed there a few times and it was great. The rooms weren't fancy, but adequate for someone who doesn't spend much time in their room anyway. It was nice to be able to leave stuff at the dive shop lockers after the morning dive, walk across (under) the street, have lunch by the pool, jump in the pool or rest on a lounge chair, and then walk back over for the afternoon dive. So you wouldn't lose much time with your wife - she could walk to the beach with you in the morning and you could meet up with her right after getting back.

I haven't done the A/I and haven't had dinner there. We've always walked into town.

As for the non-divers if they like lounging by the pool, Hotel Coz is great. The pool is large so there's room for little kids, people playing volleyball, and people lying in the 2-inch deep area reading a book. They can walk into town fairly easily, but it's not as close as some places. I stayed at Casa Mexicana last time and that was much more convenient for shopping/dining, especially if they would want to go back and forth.

I stayed at the Hotel Coz from Sept 13-20. It was as expected, which is to say well worth the price. Booked with Orbitz, and using the 150VACA code, it was under $1100 for 7 AI nights and RT airfare (United) from LAX.
This stay was like earlier stays at the Hotel. It is not the fanciest, but is clean and comfortable. Food is not the best in Coz, but easy and cheap. Great food is a 60 peso trip away, or be healthy and walk. Staff is super friendly and the hard beds don't bother me after the first night.
Shore diving is easy and shallow. There are good things to find and it does make for a cool easy night dive. Dove with Aldora and the pick up is easy. No experience with Dive Paradise other than renting tanks and weights for a shore dive but they seemed to have their act together. If you are going to shore dive, the lockers are super convenient, with a rinse area within eyesight of food and booze, so you can watch your stuff while it dries.
The Hotel Cozumel and Resort is my go-to Cozumel stay. If I wanted to save a few bucks and be closer to town I would check out the Suites Bahia. No shore diving, but close to the Aldora pier and the Plaza. They used to have a combined breakfast with the Casa Mexicana which was superb.

Its tilted towards divers so your wife may not like, we were in Cozumel in April and have been there over 20 times, this time we stayed at Park Royal all inclusive ten minutes walk or short cab ride to town. Only bad thing is Lobby is two flights of stairs to get to, so use dive shop that holds your gear.
Rick

UNITED

Flight 1444 Pdx to IAH (red eye)
Flight 1545 IAH to Coz (arrive 10:07 am - in time to go out for an afternoon boat dive!)

Flight 1546 Coz to IAH
Flight 251 IAH to Pdx (back at 8:30pm

Fortunately flying red-eye once a year or so does not bother me although I do realize that it is not for everyone. Personally, I prefer the red-eye to having to stay over, which is what I would have to do if not taking the red-eye flight since I am flying from the Pacific northwest.

That's a very good price. Which airline? It required a red eye or overnight though, right?

An overnight with a stop in DFW, PHX, or IAH, staying at a flea bag is still a great deal. However, we do not do red eyes.

WE have stayed there 6 or 7 times, wife is non-diver, will be back in Jan. If that tells you anything. Pretty much what everyone else said. We have stayed a few other places, but for the price it's hard to beat. (buffet food in Coz., is buffet food in Coz.)

(Ray we will be there on the 19th)

10 minute walk? You. my friend. are one seriously fast walker. :D

To make it walking from Park Royal to Downtown in 10 minutes, he'd have to be on a treadmill loaded into the back of a pickup truck headed downtown!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom