Housing for Canon HV20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michel2711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been doing a lot of still photography for years but I'm quite new to UW Video and I'm looking for a housing for my HV20. I've owned two Ikelite housings which I'm still using and they always performed very well. I've also read about Equinox. Is there another thread on this forum on this topic? If not, anyone with experience with those brands ?

Thanks !

I have used both. The Equinox is a great housing especially for the price. I prefer the tube type housings, but I am also a plumber. Round=maximum structural integrity. The Ikelite housings are stout and unless you have a reason to exceed 200'... If you have had good luck and troublefree times with the Ikelite, and since you already own a couple of them, the spare parts may come in handy if any parts are interchangeable. The price of both units is a great deal at about a grand each.

I have owned and used three Ikelite still camera housings and three strobes. I now have an Equinox housing, somewhat modified, for an HV30. I have closely examined an HV30 Ikelite housing at the last scuba show in Long Beach, CA. Each housing has advantages and disadvantages.

I have to say, however, that Ikelite customer service and support has been superb - they have NEVER refused me a service request, even for out-of-warranty gear. This should be an important part of your decision making process.

Rick Colman

There is no other thread on the HV20 that compares the two housings here. (that I could find) I've seen a couple of Ikelite/HV20 user reviews on wetpixel. At least a year ago.

One small "gotcha" with the Ikelite, if you buy the external mirror, it will pan backwards. Ikelite only provides the reversing circuitry for Sony camera housings.

I know several people with Ike video housings and no one has ever mentioned any problems.

I currently have the Ikelite Housing and HV20. Got my first real use on our recent trip to French Polynesia. The housing is very negative bouyant...I know the ad states slightly negative...if you let it go, it will go straight to the bottom:shocked2: I found it easiest to handle by taking the weighted base attachment off & just using the base & handles....still negative, but much more manageable. The external mirror comes with the unit, but is placed a little too low. I found it easier to use the viewfinder & adjusting the focus on the camera so I could see the menu displays with my distance corrected lens mask on before inserting the HV20. Most of my filming issues were more user induced than equipment issues. You have to be very smooth with your movements or the video gets very jittery.

Also, don't bother with the standard Ikelite W/A lens. Besides the weight, it is very out of focus & soft on the edges no matter what setting the zoom is at. Tried none to full & couldn't ever find a setting that it worked. Maybe the new lense they have is better, but it is also $800+.

I have just downloaded video from one of the dives in Bora Bora to our Gallery. You'll need Quicktime & a fast computer for it to play properly. Will try & get some up on Vimeo or Youtube soon. The link is:

MobileMe Gallery

Mike

I seem to remember reading that the Ikelite offers access to manual white balance, but the others do not. I do not have first hand knowledge of this though.

Nice Video, Budaman / Mike. What is the submersible that we see for a plan or two ?. BTW, I agree with you on the weight of the Ikelite housings. It's the same for the SLR's: you need to take the weight off the base and still it's not neutral...
I'm still undecided . One thing I liked though with the Equinox is that they have an adapter for the UK HID 'Light Canon' (which I've had for a few years) and that would save me some $$ on the lighting part while I'm doing my experiments and learning how to shoot video under water.

In any case, thanks to everyone. Dive safely!!

Michel

Thanks Michel!

The Ikelite does provide for manual white balancing & it also includes the Blue water filter. I made an attachment that fits on the upper post of the handles that allowed me to mount my Sea & Sea Video light using a Fantasea Arm.....I'm sure something could be done for the Light Cannon also. In the picture gallery for this trip, my wife took a pic of me with the rig w/light attached. It's about half way through the pics where we are diving on the Norby.

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom