Hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, there is NOTHING in the PADI standards that says you have to sit indian style and hover like a scuba yogi or something. Like Jagfish said, the PADI standard is just to hover horizontally. I have been a DM for quite a while and have never had a need to sit like that, other than to try and look cool.

Mike Rushton

Guys,the standard may be just to hover to get certified,but he's seeking pro level and at the IE,if he draws that skill,they will expect it that way,doesn't mater if the standards say so or not. An instructor is expected to be able to not only perform the skill but be able to master and teach the skill.

Walter:
Bailout is a required skill for OW in YMCA. It's a confidence building skill - very useful.
Skin/ Scuba ditch and recovery also are good skill/ confidence builders, don't know why NAUI took them out as required skills. They are still required in professional levels, then again I can put 'em back in for any level, as long as it's made clear prior to the first class....:eyebrow:

Soggy:
What possible reason is there for doing something like that...ever? Is this 'skill' required to be a DM?

It's a demo skill, as we have OW students assume a lotus position on the pool bottom to show the effects of bouyancy and breathing. (stifles the finning) Not that it's a required OW skill, but a better example to follow up on the fin pivot with. A DM must exhibit effortless bouyancy control, and this exercise shouldn't be a problem.

CAPNVINNY:
.......at the IE,if he draws that skill,they will expect it that way,doesn't mater if the standards say so or not.

I am not sure that will be the case. The key is that the candidate can comfortably controls his buoyancy and hovers. I have known examiners being challenged with regards referring to the what the standards didn't cover. Yes, it might LOOK pretty COMFORTABLE for the students when seeing his instructor or DM doing it that way.

CAPNVINNY:
An instructor is expected to be able to not only perform the skill but be able to master and teach the skill.

Couldn't agree more.

The questions begs to be asked,
Is the poster having difficulty with neutral buoyancy OR "sitting" Indian style (should Indian be capitalized?)
If he can demonstrate MASTERY of the skill-Hovering- how he does really doesn't matter. I would agree that anyone should be able to hover in several different postions. If the problem is trim and balance then that problem is easily rectified
PADI on the other hand does not require a hover in ANY position just that you hover motionless, they don't require a certain position.

TheRedHead:
I saw a DM in Belize doing it while watching divers. I thought it rather strange. I tend to flip over when I do it and end up hovering upside down.

Ha ha! The image of that is hilarious. Maybe you should have inched up to the Belize DM and went into an upside-down Buddha hover in front of him.

CAPNVINNY:
Guys,the standard may be just to hover to get certified,but he's seeking pro level and at the IE,if he draws that skill,they will expect it that way,doesn't mater if the standards say so or not. An instructor is expected to be able to not only perform the skill but be able to master and teach the skill.
I just went through a PADI IE last July 15/16. The hover requirement is timed in confined water (30 seconds) and in peak performance buoyancy (60 seconds) but not in the open water skill. The examiner did not care what position you hovered in as long as you did not scull with hands or fins or move in any way during the hover (i.e., the requirement was to remain motionless). I wear a steel 80 and tend to turtle slightly during my hover. My course director wasn't happy with my position but the examiner did not have a problem with it.

It's important to hover in the full lotus position since if you hover in prone position you can not blow air rings and amuse your examiners. And you should remain there until you attain full enlightenment.

scubatexastony:
It's a demo skill, as we have OW students assume a lotus position on the pool bottom to show the effects of bouyancy and breathing. (stifles the finning) Not that it's a required OW skill, but a better example to follow up on the fin pivot with. A DM must exhibit effortless bouyancy control, and this exercise shouldn't be a problem.

Why do you need to be in a lotus position to learn about the efefcts of buoyancy and breathing? Why not assume a useful position, like horizontal?

Ahhh the lotus position...

I remembered during a trip in thailand there were so many new divers they kept bumping into me so I floated a bit up and assumed the position while watching them pass under me... darn lotus postion gave me cramps! :censored:

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom