Hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Why do you need to be in a lotus position to learn about the efefcts of buoyancy and breathing? Why not assume a useful position, like horizontal?

It forces the diver into a position in which it is virtually impossible to use subtle fin movements, hand sculling, or other movements to maintain position in the water. You really only can do this if you trim is correct, you are totally neutral, and totally relaxed. Is it a useful skill, like mask clearing? The answer is obviously no. Is it a useful exercise? Yes. It helps students understand the importance of trim, neutral buoyancy, relaxation, and breathing control.

divingjd:
It forces the diver into a position in which it is virtually impossible to use subtle fin movements, hand sculling, or other movements to maintain position in the water. You really only can do this if you trim is correct, you are totally neutral, and totally relaxed. Is it a useful skill, like mask clearing? The answer is obviously no. Is it a useful exercise? Yes. It helps students understand the importance of trim, neutral buoyancy, relaxation, and breathing control.

I think it would be nifty to see someone do it while sitting in (on?) when of those plastic circular sleds I had when I was a kid. :D

Green_Manelishi:
I think it would be nifty to see someone do it while sitting in (on?) when of those plastic circular sleds I had when I was a kid. :D
It would look really neat to see somone doing a drift dive sitting on one of those sleds you're talking about :D

It would be even neater yet if you could put propellers on one of those sleds and sit on while you're doing a drift dive!:D

My problem is not being nuetral its just I don't think my legs bend that way. Im young yes, but my legs still don't care. I think I might try talking to my instructor about doing it in a diff position since that just might be impossible for me. I have very good control underwater, I think its just a horrible position.

ffdiver:
My problem is not being nuetral its just I don't think my legs bend that way. Im young yes, but my legs still don't care. I think I might try talking to my instructor about doing it in a diff position since that just might be impossible for me. I have very good control underwater, I think its just a horrible position.

The trick is to get in the full lotus position. That way when you flip over, you can stand on your head :D

Odie_Headstand_Lotus_01.JPG

yeah i can't do that

Hmm, interesting thread here. My favorite way to drift dive it to hold my knees upto my chest tucked under my folded arms. (like a cannon ball) using my fins as a rudder, i can turn, roll etc. It is quite fun and amusing.

BTW it is very difficult to be neutral and sit indian style. With no ground as support and a stiff wetsuit, you will need to use your arms to lift your legs

Bigcape:
Hmm, interesting thread here. My favorite way to drift dive it to hold my knees upto my chest tucked under my folded arms. (like a cannon ball) using my fins as a rudder, i can turn, roll etc. It is quite fun and amusing.

That's sounds like you are in pufferfish position.

SangP

I keep seeing references to "proper trim" for this skill. It sounds like proper trim for indian position would be with a lead umm... stuck .. umm... well, you get the idea. This doesn't sound like proper trim for diving. Are we sure we're really teaching the right things?

During my PADI training I was told that I was expected to hold the indian position but that my orientation (right side up, sideways, whatever) was not important. Not moving and depth control were critical obviously.

My NAUI course director just wanted to see my in a good effortless horizontal hover. This makes much more sense to my pea sized brain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom