Hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For OW students, I am opposed to showing the lotus position as a demonstration of hover. There is no practical value and it only confuses students.

However, for DM or Instructors, sure make them do the lotus. If the candidate can hover effortlessly in horizontal position, then this skills is more about trim than bouyancy. Weight position is important to comprehend and apply, and attempting to hover in the lotus position tests this quite well.

Best of luck to the OP.

divingjd:
You really only can do this if you trim is correct, you are totally neutral, and totally relaxed.

I think you mean to say, you can only do this if your trim is completely *incorrect*.

Correct trim = horizontal in the water column
Incorrect trim = vertical in the water column

Soggy:
I think you mean to say, you can only do this if your trim is completely *incorrect*.

Correct trim = horizontal in the water column
Incorrect trim = vertical in the water column

Being vertical is certainly out of horizontal trim. If we're balance perfectly though (center of buoytancy = center of gravity) we can assume and maintain any position. That's a good thing and especially with light rec gear you can get pretty close.

The issue I see with students is that this is sometimes taught INSTEAD of teaching them to hover and swim in good horizontal trim. Shoot, most texts and classes fail to even mention why it's so important. I don't see anything wrong with students having time to play in class by hovering in different positions but most students already don't get anywhere near enough instruction or practice working in real diving positions which is why they are so bad in the water when they get certified and sometimes years later.

It is a bit disturbing to see pro level divers say some of the things that have been said in this thread.

Mike,

I totally agree with you. Especially on warm, clear water dives, I enjoy messing around and hanging out upside down or whatever, but it seems incredibly silly to require DMs to demonstrate the lotus position as if it actually relates to diving or teaching.

Are DMs also required to hover horizontally (I mean horizontal, parallel to the bottom, not 45 degree 'horizontal')?

I'm not sure what the lotus position is, but I will sit cross legged while holding the tips of my fins to demonstrate neutral buoyancy and the effect breathing has on buoyancy. In the horizontal or vertical, your buoyancy can be off and still maintain a depth by skulling or kicking. That's not possible when you are holding your fins with your hands.

It's a useful tool for demonstrating and checking buoyancy that has no real world value beyond that.

Soggy:
Are DMs also required to hover horizontally (I mean horizontal, parallel to the bottom, not 45 degree 'horizontal')?
What do you have against 45 degree trim?

joe.jpg

dherbman:
What do you have against 45 degree trim?

joe.jpg

Nothing if you are just stopping to look around and the bottom is solid or there is no bottom, but it's a lot more work to swim that way. It's one thing to choose to be in a position other than horizontal, but a completely different thing to not be able to because PADI thought the lotus position was more important.

Yes, I realize you found a picture of a GUE instructor out of trim. Good work :)

Soggy:

This is the point isn't it. Being able to hover, swim or do any other diving related task in good horizontal trim is not a requirement at the entry level or even at the instructor level.

dherbman:
I'm not sure what the lotus position is, but I will sit cross legged while holding the tips of my fins to demonstrate neutral buoyancy and the effect breathing has on buoyancy. In the horizontal or vertical, your buoyancy can be off and still maintain a depth by skulling or kicking. That's not possible when you are holding your fins with your hands.

It's a useful tool for demonstrating and checking buoyancy that has no real world value beyond that.

I am wondering if all the people saying "lotus position" really mean it, or know what it is. Most people can't even get in that position to begin with. If the goal is to demonstrate buoyancy control without moving your fins, then I would think that holding your fin tips as you described or just simply not moving your fins would suffice. The ability to twist yourself into a pretzel is impressive, but really doesn't matter as far as diving goes.

Back
Top Bottom