How cold is water in Keys right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back on Sunday after spending a week there with record setting lows. I dived Wednesday and Friday. At depth the temps on the reefs were 72F and on the Vandenberg it was about 74F because of the warmer Gulf stream. Wednesday I had on an isotherm layer, a full 3ml, a shorty over that, gloves, booties, and a hood. On Friday I used the isotherm layer and a 5ml with hood, gloves, and booties. It's not the water temp that will get to you, it's the wind chill once you're out. I was fine during the first dives of the day but couldn't warm up on the surface interval (it was about 54F with wind chill in the lower 40s) on Wednesday. It was incredibly uncomfortable and I was probably close to hypothermia (teeth chattering uncontrollable, lips were blue).
Last Friday Key West finally had a warm-ish day and I was comfortable on both dives. Bring at least 2 dry towels: 1 for after first dive, 1 for after 2nd, and bring dry clothes and a ski cap to change into on the boat. That helps immensely. If you have a thermos you can fill it with a warm drink to thaw out your core. A word of advice: if you want to have warm clothes like a ski cap and scarves, bring them with you. It was almost impossible to find anything like that on the island.

Very true, a decent "boat coat" and a patrol cap is real nice to have during your surface interval.

Key West has never been known for it's cold weather clothing outlets.

How was the current on the Vandenberg?

OP aksed about the "Keys", not specifically Key West (Wookie's comments) or Key Largo (link provided). Here are more weather bouys for the area.

Key West: NDBC - Station KYWF1
Vaca Key (Marathon): NDBC - Station VCAF1

There can be a difference in water temps from one end of the Keys to the other.

+1 on the boat coat, cap and extra towels for sure! Thick wetsuit if you've got it since your not likely to overheat this time of year.

When I worked in KL, that winter I purchased my first 7mm wetsuit, hood, and a boat coat...

I just looked at the surface water temp off of Islamorada which is about 20 miles south of Key Largo. At 5:10 pm it was 75*. Most swimming pools are kept at 79-82*. The air temp will be about 75-80* starting next Monday thru Friday. In temperatures in this area I use a 3mm full suit. No hood, no gloves and no booties on reef dives. On ship dives I wear gloves to protect my hands from the down rope. I'm from Ohio and 75 to 80* air temp and 75* water temp feels like tropical weather to me. Last year in February on one of my dives on the Eagle off of Islamorada the bottom temp was 63*. I did put on a 2mm rash guard vest on this dive. Some of the local folks on the boat were wearing lots more neoprene but they aren't used to the "cold".

It's gone from 3 mil to drysuit for this fat boy. No hood or gloves needed, but gots to keep the boys warm.

OP aksed about the "Keys", not specifically Key West (Wookie's comments) or Key Largo (link provided). Here are more weather bouys for the area.
There can be a difference in water temps from one end of the Keys to the other.

That I know of, I'm one of only a few ops (along with Scotty on the Kate) diving from Dry Tortugas all the way to Key Largo. I think that encompasses "The Keys". And it's all drysuit after this week, as far as I'm concerned.

I must admit I haven't been diving except under the boat at the dock since this cold snap began, but the OP's question regarded what exposure protection to wear.

How was the current on the Vandenberg?

Current was mild when we arrived at the Vandenberg, moderate by the time the pool opened, and ripping by the time we made our ascent. I was doing the superman on the line during my safety stops and my mask became dislodged several times. Be sure to plan for current changes in your gas management if applicable. The boat I was on ran lines all the way from ladder to structure to aid in a safe descent/ascent. Visibility was about 60-80ft. LOTS of huge cudas hanging about. Arrow crabs are just about in every nook and cranny.
Wookie, I'm really looking forward to another DT trip with you guys! Dry Tortugas has some of the best diving in all of the Keys and I had a great time on the Spree. I'll have to check your website to see when/if you are doing a wreck/rec/ DT trip anytime this Spring or Summer.

Current was mild when we arrived at the Vandenberg, moderate by the time the pool opened, and ripping by the time we made our ascent. I was doing the superman on the line during my safety stops. Be sure to plan for current changes in your gas management if applicable. Visibility was about 60-80ft. LOTS of huge cudas hanging about. Arrow crabs are just about in every nook and cranny.

We bombed it Thanksgiving weekend. Conditions sound familiar, we were late to the party and tied up on the bow of the boat in about a 4 knot current. It was work but it was fun. Sounds as if you had better vis.

Im goning to the keys next week and planning on several shallow and a couple deeper (100 foot) wreck dives.Since its been so cold ,can anyone tell me what thickness wetsuit is recommended,hoods etc.Any help would be great,thanks

Historically (for me) low 70's. I will be there also wearing a 7 mm with hood.

We bombed it Thanksgiving weekend. Conditions sound familiar, we were late to the party and tied up on the bow of the boat in about a 4 knot current. It was work but it was fun. Sounds as if you had better vis.

Vis was good because the water was dead flat on the surface. One could actually SEE the current from the surface. We also tied in late: around 2:30 pm. We were the only divers on the wreck but that may have been because we were in Key West during the coldest week in history. Everyone quickly became disenchanted with the weather and holed up in bars and hotel rooms.
As far as the warm weather gear, I discovered that the price of a warm hat goes up significantly when it is in such high demand. I paid $75 dollars (*&%^$%*!!) for a knit cap on Duval. I added to my collection of about 30 beanies when I got home. :( D'oh!

Vis was good because the water was dead flat on the surface. One could actually SEE the current from the surface. We also tied in late: around 2:30 pm. We were the only divers on the wreck but that may have been because we were in Key West during the coldest week in history. Everyone quickly became disenchanted with the weather and holed up in bars and hotel rooms.
As far as the warm weather gear, I discovered that the price of a warm hat goes up significantly when it is in such high demand. I paid $75 dollars (*&%^$%*!!) for a knit cap on Duval. I added to my collection of about 30 beanies when I got home. :( D'oh!

I don't mean to laugh but...:rofl3:

Dang! $75? I could have overnighted you one for half :D

Thanksgiving weekend was the first of Florida's recent cold snaps. I know exactly how you felt. We catch a lot of flak from the cold water divers during the winter but we make up for it re-hydrating them via I.V drip during the summer.

Back
Top Bottom