How cold? wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillHarm

Registered
Reaction score
Iv been in San Diego almost 3 years, and have not been diving here ONCE. I just wana know if a 4.5mil will be warm enough for a 50-60 foot dive here. SUMMER ONLY! I have no intenetion of diving winter without atleast a simi-dry. The water temp is a big reason I have not been diving. Dont really got the cash for another, thicker suit. The one i have is thick surfing wetsuit. I really wana go diving.

If you are prone to chilling, then it will not be enough. I used to dive a 5mm fullsuit with a 5mm hooded vest, but have since moved on to a drysuit and will not dive California without it.

If you're an XL, I'll make you a deal on my fullsuit and vest.

WillHarm:
I just wana know if a 4.5mil will be warm enough for a 50-60 foot dive here.
It really depends on you, your suit and your dive, but my guess is that you'll be near the edge of "inadequate protection". If you haven't already, you may want to consider renting a suit and/or a hood. Hope that helps.

I dive in So. Cal lots....at Catalina and Laguna Beach a 7mm wetsuit is fine for the winter, although barely so when the temperatures get into the low 50's. A 5mm is fine for the summer months as long as I wear a hooded vest. I, however, do mostly beach diving.

San Diego, however, always seems to be colder. I've only done a handful of dives there but, each time, got very cold and promised myself to get a drysuit for the next dives there. It may be that a 7mm wetsuit is fine for beach dives in San Digeo, where the walk to the beach, the surf entries and exits, and the surface swims allow you to warm your body. I did only boat dives in SD, where you don't get much of a chance to regenerate your body temp, which is probably why I got cold ... that, and the wreck dives were deep, cold, and surgy!

But at the very least get yourself a hooded vest. In the summer months to the depths you mention, you will ok for shorter dives. I have logged nearly 200 dives here both shore and boat. anything below 50 ft needs 7mm if you plan on diving without the constant "damn it's cold" running through your head.

Two facts about California diving.
1. It is great. Kelp forrest, rocks, sand and lots of marine life. I was diving here two weeks ago with a German who was here on a dive vacation.
2. It is cold water diving year round.
This chart list the average sea temps year round for various locations:
http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

pasley,

That's a good link with the table of temperatures from various localities. I've never seen that before. So much info out there that finding it is the hard part. Thanks.

Question: Does the temperature below the thermocline change that much during the year. The temperature at La Jolla Shores Canyon is 55 degrees at the moment.

I dive wet and a 7mm is just fine. It's when you do multiple repetative dives where your body has a hard time recovering the core temperature.

By the way, you are missing out.........look at these pics. Unreal viz..........

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/loscoronados

ShakaZulu:
Question: Does the temperature below the thermocline change that much during the year. The temperature at La Jolla Shores Canyon is 55 degrees at the moment.
Generally, not by more than 5 degrees or so.
I've had the rare dive on the back side of Catalina where it's been 60 at 100ft, but generally it's between 50 and 55.

I made the mistake of buying a Weezle Compact undersuit for summer diving... conveniently FORGETTING about the above.
Felt nice for the first 20ft.
I froze my butt off.

I always dive my Bare CT200 under my TLS350 now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom