How cold will you dive wet?

How Cold Are You Comfortable Diving Wet?

• 40 F / 4 C

Votes: 69 23.9%
  • 50 F / 10 C

Votes: 102 35.3%
  • 60 F / 16 C

Votes: 52 18.0%
  • 70 F / 21 C

Votes: 28 9.7%
  • If it isn't tropical, I go dry

Votes: 38 13.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived a 7mm in Ontario with the water temp at 46 degrees and the air temp at 60 degrees. Two dives, 30 minutes each. That was what convinced me to switch to a dry suit. Plus, I can dive more of the year, and I'm toasty between dives.

Im also an Ontario Cdn diver. I like the odd refreshing dive to 43-45F. I use a farmer John 7mm. I put my hood on over my neck but dont use it until under 48F or so. I usually hop in the water with the wetsuit than get back on the boat and let the sun bake the suit and water before gearing up. I plan do some ice dives the same way. Usually its my mouth/lips that freeze the worst anyhow.

Swimming underwater and being wet is my favourite part of diving.

Wetsuits are better for emergency urination....make a warm spot.

Akona-matata:
Im also an Ontario Cdn diver. I like the odd refreshing dive to 43-45F. I use a farmer John 7mm. I put my hood on over my neck but dont use it until under 48F or so. I usually hop in the water with the wetsuit than get back on the boat and let the sun bake the suit and water before gearing up. I plan do some ice dives the same way. Usually its my mouth/lips that freeze the worst anyhow.

Swimming underwater and being wet is my favourite part of diving.

Wetsuits are better for emergency urination....make a warm spot.
I would strongly recommend you NOT to do ice diving with a wetsuit. Believe me, the difference between 45F and 32F is VERY noticable.

At 32F youll have a life expectancy of under 15 minutes before youre exhausted and/or unconcious and up to 45 before youre dead.
At 45F youll probably have 3 times as much!

Now that is of course without a wetsuit, but at 32F.. Its not going to be anywhere near plesant..

Tigerman:
I would strongly recommend you NOT to do ice diving with a wetsuit. Believe me, the difference between 45F and 32F is VERY noticable.

At 32F youll have a life expectancy of under 15 minutes before youre exhausted and/or unconcious and up to 45 before youre dead.
At 45F youll probably have 3 times as much!

Now that is of course without a wetsuit, but at 32F.. Its not going to be anywhere near plesant..

I've been in 39 degree water for over a hour in a wetsuit, and been very comfortable. With a good fitting two piece... ice diving can be chilly, but more on the surface than in the water.

But Ice diving deep is the land of dry suits...I would suggest that 30 ft is about as deep as one will be comfortable in a wetsuit.

About 50 is my limit, and even then I'd like to be a bit warmer. This always makes for a short dive for me.

Back
Top Bottom