How crackpot is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timle:
Well there are a couple of things to take into consideration.

When you get into a dry suit you are going to squat down and try to force out as much air as you can. This should causes the bagginess to suck up next to your skin. If its not huge this shouldn't cause much of any issue.

Using the dry suit in the water there are two methods that are taught. One school of thought teaches using the drysuit for managing squeeze and buoyancy. That is you add enough air to manage the squeeze you feel and to maintain neutral buoyancy. The other teaches adding just enough air to keep the squeeze off and use your BC for bouyancy control as normal.

IMHO if you are adding more air than required to just keep the squeeze off this air can move around the suit and make trim and bouyancy control difficult. I think having extra room in the legs is going to make this worse because a feet up ascent can happen in a drysuit and you won't be able to dump any air.

If its so big that its not managable IMHO you need a different suit or a professional modification of that suit.

Good luck, diving dry is great!

I'm planning on adding as little air as possible. Most of the extra room is around the hips and lower torso. I'm able to self-don it and after squishing out the air, I have two fins along the latteral seams that are about 3" to 4" wide, so that is about 12 to 16 linear inches too big in the hips.

evad:
I'm planning on adding as little air as possible. Most of the extra room is around the hips and lower torso. I'm able to self-don it and after squishing out the air, I have two fins along the latteral seams that are about 3" to 4" wide, so that is about 12 to 16 linear inches too big in the hips.

Eat more pizza and cheeseburgers. :D

evad:
Oh really? How polite is that?

Oh, I hope you didn't misunderstand me... I didn't think your idea was "crackpot" I just thought your terminology was funny...

My first drysuit was huuuuuge on me, I had all sorts of issues. I never actually thought about modifying the suit myself.

123Scuba.com:
Oh, I hope you didn't misunderstand me... I didn't think your idea was "crackpot" I just thought your terminology was funny...
My first drysuit was huuuuuge on me, I had all sorts of issues. I never actually thought about modifying the suit myself.

Oh, does my terminology amuse you?
What issues?
I think of doing everything myself.

evad:
Oh, does my terminology amuse you?
What issues?
I think of doing everything myself.

I was 12 when I got my first suit. The smallest thing around at the time was a Viking 000 - It was also a suit that we rented out to students so I'm not sure mods would have been approved should I of raised the issue. :( The suit was so big on me that I had to be almost upright in the water. If I pivoted too far forward all the air would rush to my feet and flip me upside down. Did I mention I was 12... So there I was swimming, (well, more like walking) along and the next thing ya' know I'm upside down. I think my buddies almost drowned from laughing. Followed by another round of laughing/choking as they helped try to right me. On one occasion I couldn't get back around so I just surfaced feet first. That way the people on shore got a good laugh too. When I finally got a suit that fit me (kind of) I was very, very appreciative. :D

Really, I do love diving dry.

123Scuba.com:
I was 12 when I got my first suit. The smallest thing around at the time was a Viking 000 - It was also a suit that we rented out to students so I'm not sure mods would have been approved should I of raised the issue. :( The suit was so big on me that I had to be almost upright in the water. If I pivoted too far forward all the air would rush to my feet and flip me upside down. Did I mention I was 12... So there I was swimming, (well, more like walking) along and the next thing ya' know I'm upside down. I think my buddies almost drowned from laughing. Followed by another round of laughing/choking as they helped try to right me. On one occasion I couldn't get back around so I just surfaced feet first. That way the people on shore got a good laugh too. When I finally got a suit that fit me (kind of) I was very, very appreciative. :D

Really, I do love diving dry.

Mine's not THAT too-big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom