How deep can I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airstream:
My friend (was certified for 1 week) before going to Cozumel, just returned. He dove to 110ft. With a SUUNTO COBRA computer. He said he felt very comfortable.

That is so wrong on so many levels. :shakehead

Most good shops in Cozumel would not take a newly certified diver to 110 feet.

And having 1 experience deep dive in AOW is not going to make you a safe deep diver. If you haven't handled real problems in shallower depths, then you have no idea how you will handle it. And you can't bolt to the surface at these depths.

cascbagrl:
Do you know that you won't panic if your mask floods and you are narc'd?

Not to mention losing the mask and regulator at the same time, which happens with a kick in the face. I won't even talk about losing your mask and not being able to find it because it has gone down the wall.

abitton:
Just playing devil's advocate:

How is that more dangerous at 70-80 feet than 40-60?

I agree. Narcosis may be a bit of a factor the deeper you go but that effects everyone differently. As far as emergencies are concerned, if you cant handle them 40-60 then what difference is another 20-30 ft gonna make?

The depth limits are 60' for OW, 110' for AOW and 130 after deep training.

If I were you I'd either take the AOW or stick to the 60' limit. You say you are comfortable in water and have been around it your entire life. That's cool, but you should be able to answer an important question before heading down below 60' - How does your mind react under narcosis?

It's your choice but I'd hate to read about you in the In Memorium section because you got down 110' and got narc'd, freaked out and drown.

Why are so many people so quick to write of training and guidelines? If your cert only allows you to go to 60 ft. don't you think there is a reason and if you are questioning it at all why not take the next step and be safer, obviously by taking the nitrox course advancement and safety are on your mind. By putting yourself in a potentially more hazardous situation with an instructor observing you and able to help you out of it is a much better option.

I had a co worker come back from Mexico and proudly tell me about how cool his diving was. He's not certified and they went to 90+ feet.

Scary!

diving to ones limits is the key phrase,if you never been there then you can't really be confident of it can you? Have your instructor do a deep dive with you as a specialty dive,you'll get credit for it when you do advanced and will get to experience it with a dive buddy your comfortable with before doing it in the tropics with stangers. AND HAVE FUN!

cascbagrl:
Why are so many people so quick to write of training and guidelines? If your cert only allows you to go to 60 ft. don't you think there is a reason and if you are questioning it at all why not take the next step and be safer, obviously by taking the nitrox course advancement and safety are on your mind. By putting yourself in a potentially more hazardous situation with an instructor observing you and able to help you out of it is a much better option.

I don't think anyone's writing off anything. You mentioned it yourself, they are guidelines. Only guidelines. Many factors come into play, such as conditions (visibility, temperature, presenc or not of DM or instructor) and experience. How can I compare dives at 60' in the St-Lawrence, where I do most of my dives (great viz here is 15-20') with a 60' dive in Cozumel?

Otherwise, I agree with you that more training is always desirable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom