How deep can I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you bolt to the surface at deeper depths, there is a greater chance of getting bent. I don't care what PADI says about stops being optional, you make bubbles and they come out. It's harder to breathe at depth, and if you get stressed out and start hyperventilating you can get into a cycle of overbreathing your regulator and it's very hard to stop. You're not venting the CO2 from your lungs and you could pass out and drown.

airstream:
My friend (was certified for 1 week) before going to Cozumel, just returned. He dove to 110ft. With a SUUNTO COBRA computer. He said he felt very comfortable.

Oh my....

You mean all you need is the right computer to go deep?:shakehead I better get shopping. They sell some nifty trimix computers at scubatoys. I bet I can "feel comfortable" all the way to 200 feet with one of them!!!!:eyebrow:

Why didn't they just take him to 135 feet and overhead at the Devil's Throat, if he had the right computer?:confused:

abitton:
Just playing devil's advocate:

How is that more dangerous at 70-80 feet than 40-60?

70 feet is 1/3 of an atmosphere deeper. Not a biggy, but the recommendation has to be somewhere. It seems like 60 feet is a good round number, not beyond the depth of many reefs and all the cool stuff to see, and 3 ATM of pressure (give or take).

The real issue is that 100 feet is almost twice as deep as the40-60 foot you propose as "safe". Twice as far to swim OOA. Twice as far to buddy breath. More chance of narcosis. Greater chance of decompression Illness. Colors are washed out. Etc...

BTW-if you are a spare air user-would you rather use it from 50 feet or 100?

TheRedHead:
If you bolt to the surface at deeper depths, there is a greater chance of getting bent. I don't care what PADI says about stops being optional, you make bubbles and they come out. It's harder to breathe at depth, and if you get stressed out and start hyperventilating you can get into a cycle of overbreathing your regulator and it's very hard to stop. You're not venting the CO2 from your lungs and you could pass out and drown.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, but I am skeptical whether one deep dive in an AOW course will teach you to not panic. The solution is experience. Just my 2 cents, I am still a beginner. I also believe in training, I have been takin at least one class per year since I began diving!!

Of course conditions play a huge part in diving but I think if you have to ask whether or not its a good idea to do something, chances are it isn't. We dive in Monterey regularly and there are tons of hazards at both 30 feet and 90 the difference is that I have had the training to know what to expect at both. Is there much of a comparison with diving in Monterey vs Cayman well yes and no. Depth is depth, the risks become more dangerous the deeper you go. All I am saying is that I think it is better to be prepared for something, having and instructor take you to deeper depths, than to just say I have been in the water forever and I will be fine. I have grown up in the water as well but diving is something completely different. Once you get into the water you are now putting the responsibility onto the dive master on that boat if something should go wrong and you are not prepared, and what about your buddy? I would never forgive myself if something happened to my buddy because I was unprepared for a situation or was in a situation I shouldn't have been in, in the first place.

I'd be more worried about you going into the overhead environment and lack of access to others of the swimthrough than the depth you were at. To a point, of course.

It's difficult when everyone puts so much emphasis on your comfort when you don't have enough experience to know it's dangerous. You can't use comfort level blindly because common sense isn't common to everyone. In fact, when you're narc'ed you're darn comfortable. To the point of spitting your reg out in this clear water that looks like air.

Beware of doing things because the dive guide lets you. They may or may not feel a responsibility for watching out for you or even realizing that you're going in over your head. When you're experienced at anything, it's difficult to think from the point of view of not knowing. The company doesn't matter; dive guides are individuals.

I'd suggest staying around 60-70 feet and getting more experience. If you can do an open water drop a bit deeper with the guide near you, that's the best experience. Not in a tunnel with only you and your problem. Along with the other newbies...

Those sites will always be there. Plenty of diving available. Enjoy the sights, not pushing to accomplish a goal.

The best advice for any diving is to use your own head. Do what you know is right, but tell somebody competent you're doing it.

abitton:
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, but I am skeptical whether one deep dive in an AOW course will teach you to not panic. The solution is experience. Just my 2 cents, I am still a beginner. I also believe in training, I have been takin at least one class per year since I began diving!!

I agree with you also and am a firm believer in progressively diving deeper and getting some experience where you will encounter stress under more benign conditions. I have overbreathed my regulator, been giddy from a 140 ft narc, been kicked in the face in devil's throat where I lost my reg and almost lost the mask, but I'm happy none of those things happened when I had 10 dives.

Shasta_man:
It's difficult when everyone puts so much emphasis on your comfort when you don't have enough experience to know it's dangerous. You can't use comfort level blindly because common sense isn't common to everyone.

Sometimes it is painfully obvious, and sometimes it's really hard to know what you don't know until you hit that brick wall and it's too late. In diving, the tough lesson might be the last one you learn. It's easy to say "dive within your limits" but not enough goes into explaining what the limits are and why they are limitations. That is my opinion of the weakest area of OW training, not basics. If someone flounders around a bit but is within their limits at least it won't cost a life.

A couple years ago I was cruising along santa rosa wall at grand cayman. All of a sudden a young looking kid landed on me; head on a swivel tank hanging loose; eyes as big as saucers. We were right at 100 ft. Just looking at this situation made a chill run up my spine. He was way in over his head. We were in a ripping three knot current and he was on the edge of all out panic. He was not from my dive boat. In fact all but four of us from two boats punched out almost from the start. That would be an example of peer pressure. Way too many people talked into a dive they were not ready for, a wall dive in a hard current. This guy looked like he was going to die and take someone with him. Sometimes I think evolution is still alive and active as we speak. Growing up some of us, myself included, had a hard time listening to those who had already been there. I learned from the school of hard knocks. However, this is life and death. I have rescued four divers in real trouble. You keep ruining my vacation!

Back
Top Bottom