How deep can I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I agree with you also and am a firm believer in progressively diving deeper and getting some experience where you will encounter stress under more benign conditions. I have overbreathed my regulator, been giddy from a 140 ft narc, been kicked in the face in devil's throat where I lost my reg and almost lost the mask, but I'm happy none of those things happened when I had 10 dives.

TheRedHead knows of what she speaks - I agree with each of her posts on this thread - you go girl:wink:

Working2Hd:
The way it was explained to me was there are "tubes" that can start at that depth and you'll exit around 40 feet or so which is why I asked. He said I didn't have to go that deep but if I wanted to there wouldn't be a problem as long as I was OK.

I would suggest you look up the subject of rock bottom gas management. I would also suggest that you do some dives to 70-90 feet in open water first before venturing into anything resembling an overhead.

DivingCRNA:
The real issue is that 100 feet is almost twice as deep as the40-60 foot you propose as "safe". Twice as far to swim OOA. Twice as far to buddy breath. More chance of narcosis. Greater chance of decompression Illness. Colors are washed out. Etc...

The real difference is how fast the deco and gas consumption clocks run at 100 fsw vs. 60 fsw. On air you get 55 mins at 60 fsw, but only 20 mins at 100 fsw. On 32% you get a lot of time (i don't bother to even memorize this value) at 60 fsw, but only 30 mins at 100 fsw. At 60 fsw an average diver (0.60 SAC) will suck an Al80 completely dry in 45 mins, at 100 fsw it will suck dry in 30 mins. When you factor in keeping a rockbottom reserve an Al80 will last around 32 minutes at 60 fsw and only 19 mins at 100 fsw before the diver needs to ascend -- and going over your NDLs at 100 fsw puts you into a much worse situation, faster than going over the NDL at 60 fsw.

I have not been to those tubes, but from what I read: entry at 90ft and exit at 40ft. Without knowing how wide they are, if there is flow in there, what sediments are on the floor, walls, can you see daylight etc, etc...... I would be cautious.

My view is that while emergencies never go planned, if you plan for emergencies, at least you have the mindset and cool headedness to handle them. You dont want to be in a situation where you handle an emergency for the first time on your first dive in an unfamiliar environment. More over, when you are with a buddy you have not dove with before.... how do you know you can help each other, that no-one is going to panic and actually knows what to do. I read in this thread, depth, lost mask, OOA etc. These are all very valid points. And I would like to add: in the tube you may not have direct access to the surface, you may silt it up, you may be in a total black out (again I have not been there). Do you have the right lights, equipment to handle emergencies, what would gas planning look like (to also allow for emergencies).

I would advise against going into overherad environments without proper training. But if you do want to do it, at least think first about how you are going to handle situations. And above all, if it doesnt feel right..............call the dive. Many cave divers call dives simply because ' it doesn't feel right'. And that is okay, no discussion, no argument from buddies.

All I am saying is think it through......

TheRedHead:
I agree with you also and am a firm believer in progressively diving deeper and getting some experience where you will encounter stress under more benign conditions. I have overbreathed my regulator, been giddy from a 140 ft narc, been kicked in the face in devil's throat where I lost my reg and almost lost the mask, but I'm happy none of those things happened when I had 10 dives.

Agreed!!!

Mind you, I got my mask kicked off during one of my OW checkout dives. A hard welcome to reality... At least I got to practice a few drills!!!

Thanks for all the input everyone. Just because I said I was and AM comfortable in the water doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I am surely not going to let someone talk me into doing something I don't feel 100% comfortable doing. Let's face it, on the surface (ground) if something goes wrong you can just sit down and scrap the whole deal. Underwater you just can't say "I quit" and it's over. I know that and I would hope anyone who is serious about being a "safe" diver would also know that but after reading some of the posts on this topic I will assume that NOT to be the case.

I AM GOING TO BE A SAFE DIVER. My family, myself and my BUDDY depend on it.

P.S. and it's only my personal opinion, only a FOOL would go into any situation they weren't comfortable with, with a buddy they don't know well enough to trust their life with. Being a relatively new diver, If I did ATTEMPT to go that deep I would ONLY do it under the DIRECT SUPERVISION of the DM. Again, Thanks for all the comments.

Working2Hd:
I AM GOING TO BE A SAFE DIVER. My family, myself and my BUDDY depend on it.

Be safe, but don't forget to have fun and enjoy some great diving!!

Be sure to post a trip report to share your experience with us!!!

Alex

When I had my Sudden High Intensity Training happen in Devil's Throat, I first went to my octopus, which at that time was in the conventional triangle, then I sorted out my mask problem and realized I was stuck on the top of the swimthrough. I had about a foot of clearance under me, but I was stuck. I try my inflator hose and can't vent, finally vented with my dump valve and then I still couldn't move. It took the longest for me to realize my octopus was caught in the overhead. The DM and my buddy came looking for me, but by that time I had sorted it out, but I was pretty narced from the depth and stress. And it made me rethink the way I dive.

TheRedHead:
When I had my Sudden High Intensity Training happen in Devil's Throat, I first went to my octopus, which at that time was in the conventional triangle, then I sorted my mask problem out and realized I was stuck on the top of the swimthrough. I had about a foot of clearance under me, but I was stuck. I try my inflator hose and can't vent, finally vented with my dump valve and then I couldn't move. It took the longest for me to realize my octopus was caught in the overhead. The DM and my buddy came looking for me, but by that time I had sorted it out, but I was pretty narced from the depth and stress. And it made me rethink the way I dive.

A harrowing experience indeed... Some may never have dived again...

Back
Top Bottom