How different are tec courses agency to agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For example, when I took my basic nitrox class, my instructor taught me essentially the advanced nitrox course; all the math, etc. that I would need to learn later. I am less concerned with that name on the top of the card, I'm much more concerned with the instructor.

You mean he taught you how to calculate MOD, Best Mix, PPO2 for any mix/any depth and equivalent air depth in a basic nitrox course? Yup, pretty sure that is in the curriculum.

Dividing nitrox learning into nitrox and advanced nitrox is one of the greatest scams in diving!

Frankly I don't think this is "just" an agency issue - it's the instructor who matters. Training agencies standards make their lawyers happy and may be regarded as the bare minimum. Some of the information is wrong and many times outdated. So you want to look for an instructor who will teach you not just training agencies standards (minimums) but who is competent, knowledgable to go beyond that. After all, are you paying to get trained or to get a card?

Am I correct to understand that TDI trains each tech diver to be self reliant during the dive while DIR agencies over emphasize buddy/team skills because your emergency gas is carried by someone else and buddy separation is not an option?

Thanks -

CS

NO! That's not even close.

As with so much that is labelled "TECHNICAL DIVING" the concept of team planning and team gas management (simply put: one third of the gas volume in my buddy's tanks is for me), began with the cave training agencies... e.g. NSS-CDS, NACD, et al. The and a few related planks form the platform of <every> technical program being taught.

Where do you pull this stuff from... honestly?

With the obvious exception of GUE, . . .

Okay, I'll bite. Why is GUE an obvious exception? Do you mean to imply all GUE instructors are equally awesome? Maybe.

Also, GUE is not the only agency that teaches the school of thought once referred to as "DIR," though GUE may be the best known--certainly the one mentioned most on SB.

What I mean is that GUE has a very specific curriculum for the courses, along with their other specific requirements.

Nothing was intended as a compliment or a slight towards any instructors, GUE or otherwise.

Every technical class is going to teach you something about decompression and something about calculating gas requirements and reserves. GUE is one of the more conservative about ENDs, and introduces helium at the beginning of technical training, which not all agencies do. GUE is also very conservative about ppO2s.

A lot of people get confused about the team concept. Diving as a part of a team does not in any way absolve you of the responsibility to be self-reliant and reliable. We all start with personal redundancy and the skills to manage that redundancy; diving as part of a team gives you ADDITIONAL resources, if yours are insufficient, or if it would simply be easier to solve a given problem with the use of your teammates than it is to do it yourself.

GUE does not condone solo diving, at the recreational or technical levels. The equipment is standardized, the gases are standardized, the deco is standardized, the emergency procedures are standardized. The class is very standardized -- the degree to which a Tech 1 class will vary around the world is fairly small. Standards for the classes are published and public, as are the criteria for student evaluation and the scoring system. When you complete a GUE Tech 1 class, you will be able to get in the water and do a T1 dive with any other, similarly trained diver, without spending much time at all on how things are going to go, other than the immediate dive plan. This is not the case with other agencies, where there can be much greater variation between classes given by different people or at different times.

I was talking to a guy interning on a GUE fundamentals course last month. He said there was something like 84 different topics that he had to master, present to students in a class and individually get signoff from a current instructor before he could consider getting an instructor evaluator to grade him presenting a full class. It's a lot of work to become a GUE instructor.

Don't forget it's also quite some work to maintain the instructor status

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom