How do folks find/book their dive vacations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I research the destination and favored dive op.s/resorts on ScubaBoard, and check out their web sites. I may e-mail the op.s with questions like big tank availability & cost, nitrox. etc...

Our first 4 Bonaire trips we went with Parrot Island Divers out of Nashville, a group my old instructor was a part of. Someone you know and trust who's a seasoned traveler to the destination is a great resource when you're new, especially if you haven't done much exotic traveling.

I'm an 'on the beaten path' guy. I like exotic adventures, planned out in advance with no substantial surprises, where everybody I need to deal with speaks English, there's air conditioning everywhere, and like package deals where someone's available to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Turns out non-English-speaking locals can't understand me even if I speak loudly and slowly...who knew?

Guess I'm one of those 'cruise ship pod people' types. Speaking of which, a cruise can be a good way to enjoy a brief sampler of different destinations you may want to revisit in the future for more in-depth trips.

Richard.

We book everything through a local dive travel agent Squba holidays. We are long term clients and they know the type of dive operation we prefer.

We use scuba board and undercurrent to research destinations. We ignore ads AND articles in dive magazines.

Speaking strictly as a travel consultant, and directed to those that find all the information available online confusing and time consuming, that's why a good travel consultant provides clear, precise. peace of mind, saves time, and an informative direction for all your travel needs.
I've been in the business for some time and I can't tell you how many prospective clients take to trip advisor's website, book based on what they read, end up wasting money on a terrible experience, and on their next trip book with me after I warned them. Why? Trip advisor has been fined a number of times for a number of things including miss-leading reviews some posted by employes, others by advertisers, or someone who has a grudge, it would make your head spin.
Speak with friends, co-workers, buddies like those hear on scubaBoard for actual experiences and not those posted on a company's online site devoted entirely to making money and not to you. Every so often I browse their site for a laugh on the reviews that are posted. I not bad mouthing their site because some of their posts are very true to form on destinations, but it's difficult for the public to pick the post that offer the best results.
Begin to build your network with your local dive shop as mentioned. It's a great avenue for trips and a safe way to travel considering you may have taken a course with some of those that you would travel with. The other course, speak with a travel consultant. We don't bite and you can build a relationship with him/her that will last a long time and they will help save you money. Remember, we actually travel to many destinations we offer clients. I can recommend a few dive vacation agents if you're interested. Here's hoping you travel often and get wet when you do.

As far as how I find out about places to go, I use ScubaBoard, just search the internet, and maybe take a peek in dive magazines. If there is ever a scuba show in your area be sure to go to it. You can gets lots of good info and deals at shows like that.

I think to start with, and since you are new to diving but probably not new to travel, it may be a good idea to book a trip through a dive shop and let them handle the details for you. Most of the time when a dive shop is offering a trip, it's usually to a pretty good destination for diving. Now you may pay a little more than you could book otherwise, although on a very few occasions I have seen booking with a dive shop to be a better deal, but that is rare.

My first few trips were thru local dive shops and overall I had good experiences. But when you book that way, you go where they say go and when they say you are going. They may not always be going during the best time of the year however. But it's a great way to meet fellow divers. Eventually the wife and I and one other couple started booking our own trips. Then we would meet other divers and the next thing you know, four became six that became 12 and so on. So now we have a group of probably 30 to 35 people who travel together. Of course not everyone goes on every trip but we have a good base to draw from. In booking trips this way, we earn not only free spots but commission as well and we apply that over everyone's price so we all get really nice discounts. I just signed to book the Nai'a liveaboard in Fiji in the spring of 2015. The normal rate would be $3534 per person for the week. I am going to be able to discount everyone's price by $534 so it knocks down the price to $3000. You'll never get that kind of discount thru a dive shop. Some of our group I met right here on SB!

So just keep reading trip reports on SB and other like places to find good information on different dive destinations. Sometimes you can find really great deals if you are a person who can travel on short notice where a resort or liveaboard has spaces they have not filled or maybe someone on a group trip had to back out and are selling their spot on the cheap.

Good luck with all your travels!

I used to use an agent mentioned here, but found that we could save a significant amount of money by booking ourselves. (15-20% minimum). I typically do three trips a year, so that adds up.

For the most part, I know roughly where I want to go, and like others here, I really go for the diving, not the night life and so on. Once I get an idea, I look for reviews here, and on Tripadvisor. (I also post reviews too, as a way of "giving back).

There are some drawbacks to do it yourself. First... well, you need to be really careful with things like connections and so on... I know some folks who missed a connecting flight recently, and it was because they had only allowed 40 minutes between flights, and these days, that just isn't enough. Make sure you know what's included and what isn't. Get it in writing... Booze, nitrox etc, can add a good chunk.

Agents have their place, and if you aren't comfy doing it all, then use one.

Also, in Ontario, bookings though an agent and some on-line places (like Expedia.ca) are covered by a provincial government insurance plan (TICO). This isn't travel or injury insurance, it's in case the resort or airline goes belly-up between booking time and your arrival... it happens! If you book the resort directly, you are your own, so be careful and understand the deposit requirements. I was "stranded" in Utila once (poor me) when the charter airline I'd booked air with went TU. TICO insurance reimbursed me for my flight and extra hotel nights. (They wouldn't go for the extra dive day, although I tried!)

As others have said, a trip with part of a group at your LDS can be a good alternative. But again, be sure "someone" is insured in case of insolvency. Again, in Ontario, the provincial government has started to crack down on dive shops pretending to be travel agents, which is illegal. Some shops have made the investment and done the training and signed on with TICO. Others "outsource" the travel details to a travel-agency. And others do nothing and this could leave you hung out to dry...

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. I recently booked a to Belize using my Expedia app on my phone, while sitting at red lights!

Just be aware that if you depart from Chicago, and end up in LA, you have no one to blame but yourself. And don't forget to buy travel insurance... Something the Agency probably reminded you to do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom