How do so many folks have so many dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuit = more dives!

I do believe owning a drysuit helps in bagging dives. drysuit dive BC.jpg

It's a rare individual that can do 500 dives and still not learn anything, but unfortunately they do exist. .

Yep. Practice makes permanent, not perfect....keep doing things wrong over and over and that's what you'll always do.

As an instructor, I never log pool dives. I do log training dives, and by log I mean download from my computer, then maybe add a comment or two (usually not).

Lots of dives might just mean they're OLD.

Question posed. How do some folks have so many dives without access all of the times? Diving in January in Des Moines is not a reality.

Why is diving in January not a reality? You seem to greatly underestimate the midwest divers' desire to dive!

1646348_28035_raw.jpg

PS - that's not my picture. I stole it from a google search.

Some instructors fluff up their numbers too. I normally count all the dives I do in a day with a student as one dive but add up the hours. I've know some instructors to count every surface interval as a dive and now their 300th dive is the 2000th.

I'm not sure which agency you instruct for but when I did my instructor class, I was taught, do a dive with a student; log it. If I have 2 separate classes going on, log EVERY dive. Whether I want to count it as a "real" dive is my business but it is still logged as a dive. Which agency allows you the latitude to not log a training dive with students, and I'm not speaking of pool time.

I'm not sure which agency you instruct for but when I did my instructor class, I was taught, do a dive with a student; log it. If I have 2 separate classes going on, log EVERY dive. Whether I want to count it as a real dive is my business but it is still logged as a dive. Which agency allows you the latitude to not log a training dive with students, and I'm not speaking of pool time.

I agree. Do 4 dives with a student who logged 4 dives and you had better have logged 4 dives too. Preferably with the student, sitting around, debriefing the dive.

I'm always shocked how few dives "avid" divers have, or divers who profess to be avid, anyway.

It also depends on how long one has been diving. I started in 1968 and was doing dm work for our club from 1970-1980. So I was diving approximately 5 times per week for quite a few years. Now I dive less, as in 1 time per week or less and then there are 2 liveaboards every year, a few weekends of 4-5 dives with our club boat. I checked my pdc and it says I do 60 dives per year at the moment.
I do not count bottom time, but we do a lot of dives of 70-80 minutes too.
And yes we dive all year round, Wet from June-October and then dry from November till the end of May. Though in winter it is once per 2-3 weeks.
But being at it for > 40 years it kind of accumulates.

I'm a bit perplexed at looking at some folks profiles and seeing the amount of dives listed. I wholly understand dive instructors.....they are in the water doing pool sessions, guiding students week in and out. What I dont understand is folks in the midwest who have 2000 dives.

Granted, im closing in on 5 years of diving. Surely a lot of folks eclipse me by many fathoms, year wise. Ill admit in relative terms, I am a new diver.

However, I have access to diving 365 days a year. For the most part, I have dove (minimally) every single weekend for the last four years.

Question posed. How do some folks have so many dives without access all of the times? Diving in January in Des Moines is not a reality.

I'm an instructor, but most of my logged dives are just fun dives ... I don't log pool time or OW class dives or Rescue class dives ... because those are more about skills work than actual diving.

I dive in January in Des Moines ... in fact, that's when and where this picture was taken ...

SnowPics0036.jpg

... but it was Des Moines, Washington ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 09:23 AM ----------

I'm not sure which agency you instruct for but when I did my instructor class, I was taught, do a dive with a student; log it. If I have 2 separate classes going on, log EVERY dive. Whether I want to count it as a "real" dive is my business but it is still logged as a dive. Which agency allows you the latitude to not log a training dive with students, and I'm not speaking of pool time.

NAUI doesn't require me to log my dives at all. I do maintain notes and records of all class activities ... but the only requirement for OW dives is for me to sign the student's log book, showing that they have completed the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I too am sometimes suspect at people that have listed 2000-5000+ dives but I can at least give you an idea how I got I got to the number where I am today so that the numbers make a little more sense.

Unfortunately I don't log dives anymore which makes it hard to get an exact count but I made it a point to download all dives from my Petrel and Hollis DG03 so I have an idea of my dive profiles. I'd have to go back and look but I'm pretty sure I broke into ~1000 dives before becoming a dive professional. I was first originally certified in 2002 but really didn't start diving heavily until 2003. This is nothing compared to people that have been diving for "25-40 years" but it's the frequency of the diving that really counts. Some of those people that like to boast "diving for 25 years" really only do a few trips a year.

I routinely average 100-150 dives/year in New England including trips to Cozumel and other warm places. I also dive year round and in some cases prefer diving in winter due to increased visibility and less boat traffic. Diving is my winter hobby :)

According to my Petrel, I'm hovering around 132 dives this year. According to my excel spreadsheet, I had 135 dives last season and the year before I had 146 dives (My best year..) This doesn't include any pool sessions or quick bounce dives where I didn't bother to wear my Petrel/ or other computer. This also doesn't include purpose lobster dives where I didn't wear my Petrel since I didn't want to scratch the screen while lobster diving.

Some very quick conservative math, ~115 dives x 11 years puts me in the ballpark of ~1265 dives but unfortunately I won't ever get my real true number.

PADI does not require instructors to log dives. I have to make sure my student has one and I sign it as proof the dive was done but I'm not required to fill my log book out.

Logging dives is personal endeavor. I think it's cheating for me to log 2 short dives with a short surface interval as 2 dives in my personal log book. For me it's one day of diving that totals so many hours.

When you have big classes the instructor might be doing 15-20 dives a day, that's not Realistic. I don't have any real rhyme or reason for how I log. If I think it counts I count it.

It all depends on the day and what we did on the dive and surface interval and did I get out of the water or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom