How do you attach your tank valves to your shoulder D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I am not a sidemount diver, I do sidemount my bailout with my rebreather. I have been following many threads on sidemount in an attempt to learn all that I can on various methods. I have several requirements that I am actively seeking a single method that will satisfy all of them. I am happy to say that I think that this thread has given a couple of ideas that when combined (differently than suggested) in my own way will be perfect for me. I will not say what or how I intend to do it until such time as I have had a chance to try it to confirm a positive experience.

...because you should point the valve knobs down/forward and not to the sides like UTD and PADI teaches.

Damn! You posted this on the very day that I was out at sea on 3 dives. If only I had seen it earlier. I'll have to give it a try in the swimming pool in 2 days time then.

Last edited:
...DIR there is a system, that one has to adhere to whether it works or not. In sidemount, if you stick to a system that does not work for you, then all I can say it maybe sidemount is not for you. Myabe you would be more comfortable in a system like DIR where the thinking is done for you.)
Can't agree more!!

This is the sidemount forum, not the DIR forum. Self important and self righteous posts just make the poster seem like they are not really sure which forum they are in. DIR there is a system, that one has to adhere to whether it works or not.

Back to my original point, without distraction of silly semantics,... care to explain why you stated a need to remove the chokers in-water?

If you want to use velcro to support the weight of cylinders on dry land, that's your choice. Glad it never failed for you. Hope it never does, because it's a bitch to dive with broken feet..

Common sense versus closed-minded. Lest you confuse the two...

In sidemount, if you stick to a system that does not work for you, then all I can say it maybe sidemount is not for you.

As you say... you did a mere 2 dives with a system before dismissing it. You then opted for convenience, entirely dismissing the obvious risks.

The risk: 1" thick velcro (see peel and tension strength below) supporting 31-34lbs (Al80 without valves or gas) of metal and pressurized gas.

That's before the velcro begins to degrade...

There's nothing 'DIR' or 'self-righteous' about pointing out an obvious disparity between load supporting strength and load. Or realizing that an insufficient relationship between the two is a precursor to potential injury..

attachment.php

Neither is there anything 'self-important' in questioning a need to remove chokers mid-dive. There is no skill, drill or measure applicable to sidemount diving or training that would require such capability. I remain bewildered why you would publicly state praise for this irrelevant functionality.

For the record: I'm not even advocating ring bungees. Yes, I tried them. Yes, I own some. No, I didn't share photos... it's nothing new. inventive or educational (as plenty of resources already exist). No, they didn't work for me. And yes, I tested them more than twice...

My ring bungees remain in my 'little bag of gizmos' as a training aid, because I believe in educating my students on all potential options they can consider. I state my preferences and why. I encourage my students to [intelligently] define their own preferences based on their unique needs and circumstances. However, I also caution them against expediting choices on the basis of convenience, especially when it disfavors safety or is used as a crutch for weak skills.

I've got lots of gizmos in my little bag... all tried, tested, selected or rejected for my use. None dismissed... (apart from your velcro tank carrying chokers...)

Attachments

• velcro.jpg
    velcro.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 620
Are you really that stupid, or just having "fun"?

Velcro tank carrying chokers? Seriously WTF?

Do you have the slightest idea how the system works? The answer to this question is clearly you have no idea whatsoever how it works. Which is fine, since you don't dive it. Why you want to have opinions about it is part of your internet point scoring disease it seems.

The neck chokers are not there to support the weight of the tank. (Much less to carry the tank. Seriously, WTF?) They are there to position the clip, and that's it. So launching into the weight bearing ability of randomly cut and pasted velcro is so off-topic as to be useless, since whatever is there is only there to position the clip.

More importantly what the **** does shear strength have to do with how a wrapped hook and loop band holds tension? At what point is the perpendicular shearing force applied? Across what unit area is the shearing force applied in an arbitrarily long band? What the **** does peel strength have to do with anything at all? Arew there gremlins trying to peel the velcro off in your neck of the woods? IHave you ever actually used Velcro for anything diving related?

Asking a question about a tank could landing on my feet using the Ring Bungie system is just howlingly stupid. How the hell could that happen? Again, there is a reason why people use the system and the fact that tanks can't land on toes is one very big reason. Again, use the system before you have opinions about it. You clearly have absolutely no idea how it actually goes together.

It is really worth letting people who dive a system talk about it instead of launching into trying to dominate a thread with things that having nothing to do with that system.

Dive the Ring Bungie system, and you will actually be able to figure out what the neck chokers are for. Don't dive it, and you (and anyone reading your posts) will end up completely confused about what Velcro versus webbing is good for, and you (and anyone reading your posts) will end up really, really confused as to why NetDoc actual uses what amounts to twisted copper wire to as neck chokers while using the ring bungie system. Because you apparently think NetDoc carries tank by twisted copper wire handles.

It's worth not thinking you know everything. Having opinions is one thing, but in this case your opinions are about a system you clearly have no idea how to use.

Trying things out shows what works. Velcro works much better than the webbing for a bunch of people and solves a couple of problems with the webbing, as numerous threads about the Nomad Ring Bungie system have shown. Of course you have no idea what it is good for because you don;t dive the system or understand how it works.

Hush up now.

You don't like it when people disagree with you, do you?

As mentioned, I am quite familiar with the ring bungee concept. Given your stated experience of 2 dives with the 'standard' method of attaching to ring bungees, it would seem I am considerably more experienced than you. Not that this counts for anything...(but you seem to want to make a deal of it)...either that or you're too busy ranting to actually read what I have written.

You still didn't answer the question I've been asking you for days: "Care to explain why you stated a need to remove the chokers in-water?"

You question the relevance of shear strength or peel strength to the 'strength' of velcro. That's how velcro determine the specifics of their own product. I'd ask - what unit of measurement would you prefer to see quoted as more relative in relation to the ability of velcro material to support weight?

"Have you ever actually used Velcro for anything diving related?" If that is the sum culmination of your ability to discourse with a fellow dive pro, technical and sidemount instructor, then you really are nothing more than a useless troll, are you?

For what it's worth, I had a great time in the water (the dives mainly sucked actually because the sea was choppy on top and marine diversity below poor) on Sunday with my own kit. Good thing I'm a regular at the public pool with scuba gear and so was comfortable in the sea as well. Hopefully, my rig will be perfect once the rings and swivel snappies arrive so that I can rig up the tank straps properly and get underwater quickly in choppy seas.

...because you should point the valve knobs down/forward and not to the sides like UTD and PADI teaches.

PADI teach no such thing. There isn't even a manual yet, let alone a formal procedure on 'how' to partially detach and re-orientate tanks.

Why on earth would you make such a claim?!?

20130803_180213_62066.jpg

Ok, this was done in a hurry with some rope, two swivel snaps and tank bands. The right tank band (not that visible in this photo) had slipped down a bit (didn't realize until after the dive) but the left one is in a comfortable height for me but how close to your body (waist) do most of you rig your tanks? As close as you can tie the knots to the swivel snaps?

I've been experimenting with a small loop of bungee on each side attached to the plate. This does pull the tanks back a little but keeps them snug in all positions. It works well for me but need more dies to come to a conclusion.
I normally have 2 bungees attached to the plate then to the d-ring.
I think the floating bungees alla stealth are also worth trying.

Back
Top Bottom