To clip or not to clip on tank valve Bungee cord.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelpout

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am new to sidemount and I am having difficulty trying to get the bungee cord around the tank valve and then clipped to my chest d-ring. I have seen divers eliminate the clip and just run a cord loop. I have arthritic hands that are not as strong as they used to be. I understand why the clip comes in handy but I just need to hear opinions from both sides. Thanks in advance.

I just loop the bungee around the valve knob/hand wheel. I don’t have the greatest hand strength myself. I found that having something to use as a handle to pull bungee out helps. Even a loop slip knotted into the bungee works.

I do leave the bungee clipped to chest D ring.

Also, you might try switching out the bungee you’re currently using - which I assume came with your SM rig - for something stretchier. The stock Hollis bungees are awful! Even strong young men have told me they were a PITA and switched them out.

Which SM rig do you have?

To give you an idea of what I do. I have the Dive Rite Nomad XT. It came set up for the DR ring bungee system. I don’t use that. I did, however, leave the metal rings on the bungees. Damned handy as a handle to pull the bungees out to get it around valve knob.

DA3B7275-6E33-4776-85BD-5F11403FAAC4.jpeg

I am new to sidemount and I am having difficulty trying to get the bungee cord around the tank valve and then clipped to my chest d-ring. I have seen divers eliminate the clip and just run a cord loop. I have arthritic hands that are not as strong as they used to be. I understand why the clip comes in handy but I just need to hear opinions from both sides. Thanks in advance.
You may already be using this technique, if not give it a go.
Do NOT pull out the bungees horizontal to your body.
Pull them DOWN vertically then slide them up the sides of the cylinders.
Worked for weakling like me.

I find the job a lot easier in the water for some reason. I have my tanks clipped with a snap lock until I'm fully in the water then transition to the bungys.

Double enders or small bungee loops on the lower side of the main bungee tied with an overhand knot help too.

If possible with your harness, you may want to try setting up a loop bungee. (No need for clipping to D-rings.)
I use Steel 100s in cold water and AL80s in warm. Never needed to have the tanks clipped off. Just use 8mm bungee loop all the time.

**gratuitous photo time**
-Tobermory last summer
2021-07 Toby.jpg

- Last week in Dominican Rep.
2022-05-12 DR.jpg

I have been sidemount for a few years and had the same issue. I finally decided to get my certification and my instructor corrected my bungee technique. Order is critical, and you have to do this in water: (1) move bottom clip (if needed for AL tank) to belt ring; (2) Unclip safety loop, (3) rotate tank so that the post (or handle, whatever you are bungee'ing to) is at 12 o'clock, and push the tank down a little, (4) with your opposite hand, while still holding/rotating tank, pull the bungee over the post/handle, and (5) release the tank and let the bungee pull it into position.

It seems so obvious now, but I no longer have to fight the bungee.

Thank you Zach @ TDS Bonaire!

Leave a tail on the bungees. My problem is using drygloves and I really don't want them pinched when pulling in the cylinders.

I've a 10cm/4" tail on it. Makes it extremely easy to wrap it around they cylinder and remove the loop after.

BTW I use a standard stage mount with a second lower D-ring. This means the cylinder's easy to carry, easy to mount on a moving boat and can be bungeed once in the calm of the sea.

Sidemounted bailout 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom