How do you deal with derision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a side note/joke, I’m curious what people at extreme-exposure would say to someone asking for a tank-bang

... they would probably sell you one.

EE has a lot of stuff in their shop that's not strictly DIR ... the last time I was in there, I even noticed a pink snorkel hanging on the wall.

FWIW - that's one of my all-time favorite dive shops ... and for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with DIR.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why? What concern is it of yours how someone else chooses to dive?

Why do you "reserve the right" to treat someone else in a manner that you don't want them treating you?

Why, if you could care less how someone else wants to view diving, are you even posting in a forum dedicated to DIR?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well Bob,

It is not any concern of mine, however if I find it hilarious I am gong to laugh my a$$ off.

I reserve the right to laugh my ass off, but maybe you misunderstood me as implying that i would laugh in their face and say" What the hell do you need all that crap for? Christ your diving at 40 ft in unlimited vis and the water temp is 89degrees!" I never do that, as that would be treating them unfairly. I dont see having a laugh about a guy wearing a drysuit, doubles, with 3 of EVERYTHING you could possibly use while penetrating the Doria as being unfair or degrading....I just think its funny as hell. Case in point: Seeing this in Cozumel would be funny to me.
Doria98-2.jpg

I find it interesting that you think that i have no right to view this forum or even comment on it....My post replying to TSandM was honestly trying to re assure her that she isnt automatically despised due to her affiliation with GUE/DIR style diving.

The only laughter you'll hear outta these fellows is after the dive, when they're telling their buddies how much fun they had diving together ...

Well, that proves it right there ... they just can't be DIR then. Everyone knows fun is not allowed in DIR diving ... :eyebrow:

Henrik
(tongue firmly planted in cheek - just in case someone were to misinterpret)

I had my daughter learn in a bp/w and she was immediately in trim and in control of her buoyancy during her AOW class. The instructor was happy to have a student that was in control, however he'd never even heard of GUE.
My dive buddy and i are building up our back mount doubles/halcyon sets after diving full cave for over a year in side mount. We'll for sure take gue courses. Many of the GUE methodologies and equipment configurations make sense and i've never had the GUE/EE folks behave in anything less than a professional, pleasant manner.

Well Bob,

It is not any concern of mine, however if I find it hilarious I am gong to laugh my a$$ off.

I reserve the right to laugh my ass off, but maybe you misunderstood me as implying that i would laugh in their face and say" What the hell do you need all that crap for? Christ your diving at 40 ft in unlimited vis and the water temp is 89degrees!" I never do that, as that would be treating them unfairly. I dont see having a laugh about a guy wearing a drysuit, doubles, with 3 of EVERYTHING you could possibly use while penetrating the Doria as being unfair or degrading....I just think its funny as hell.

I find it interesting that you think that i have no right to view this forum or even comment on it....My post replying to TSandM was honestly trying to re assure her that she isnt automatically despised due to her affiliation with GUE/DIR style diving.

I said nothing about your rights ... I'm just curious about your motives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I said nothing about your rights ... I'm just curious about your motives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hopefully the last section of my previous post cleared that up for you.

Well, that proves it right there ... they just can't be DIR then. Everyone knows fun is not allowed in DIR diving ... :eyebrow:

Henrik
(tongue firmly planted in cheek - just in case someone were to misinterpret)

We had maybe 60 divers in the water that day ... everything from brand-spankin' PADI-certified newbies to GUE Tech 2/Cave 2 to IANTD instructors to hard-core wreck divers on rebreathers to old-school solo divers still diving the gear they bought new in the '70's. I didn't hear a single disparaging word all day ... and when the BBQ grill got fired up and the food was put out on the tables, everybody got along just fine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lee,
LDS owners are entitled to their views as much as anyone else. Just because they do not agree with or understand the hows and whys of how you dive does not mean that you cannot have a good relationship with the shop. The outward sign of DIRness is the kit, but as we all know, that is the top of the iceberg.

Best way to deal with derision is to accept that it can happen and move on ... keep the halo on your head and keep smiling ! It's not easy to do that sometimes but frankly some people are not worth arguing with.

If you walk into a dive shop, and ask for something very specific and DIR, the way to avoid derision, is to know exactly WHY you need this specific item....the answer should not be that it was what your instructor wanted you to get, or that GUE tells me I need this....You should be able to explain why the item needs to be a stainless steel bolt snap, or why whatever other very specific criteria must be met......If you have a good reason, NO dive Shop should be able to give you a hard time, or even want to.

A list compiling all the likely items and specifics with explanations of the why's, would probably be a good GUE material to be created and passed around.

I still hear divers making snide comments about it...heck, some members here in Scubaboard have little digs in their signatures, like "Doing it Wrong since 2000" and stuff like that. At first I could sort of understand their feelings, but over time I've decided they're just being rather oversensitive. "Doing it Right" doesn't have to mean right for every diver and every situation - it's just doing it right for THIS particular diving style. Nobody is saying anybody is "doing it wrong" - they are just "doing it differently"

But "right" is a black and white term. If something isn't right, it's wrong. Right? (2+2=3 is not 75% right; it's wrong).

AFAIK, the term DIR originated with the conclusion of one of George's articles, "If it's not hogarthan, it's not right..." Per my interpretation, it's fair to conclude that non-hogarthian gear configurations are "wrong" within the scope of his article.

My question is: so what?

Why does it matter to anyone who wasn't trying to dive with WKPP while he was at the helm what George thought to be right?

What matters is what you (and your team if that's your thing) think is right. If you do something in a way you think is not right, don't do it!

It makes no sense to take offense to the term in any context, be it insurance policies (mine is RightPlanPPO40), drug stores (RiteAide), gear makers (DiveRite), or bands (The Righteous Brothers :D).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom