How do you get purchases by your spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar:
But I do know she has a credit card I'm not supposed to know about and uses it for "discretionary expenses."

Does she pay the bill from the checking account you don't know about?

ShakaZulu:
Why do women have so much power over men???

Dude, you are how old??? You really have to ask???

I've come to an agreement with my wife that I will buy a High ticket item once a year. So I guess my point is talk about it. You can remind her that 1 tank=2 pairs of shoes. how many shoes does your wife have? ok bad Idea. How about Honey I don't know how that got there.

ME: "Honey, I bought a new SCUBA tank, like it?" Wife: "It's very nice, how much?" ME: "About the same as your new jacket in the closet" Wife: "OK, what you want for dinner?"

I do the whole budget thing, she prefers it that way. We don't have an allowance for each other per-say, but it works.

Funny, I never thought of relationships as a "battle" or as "getting something by" the other person. Being reasonable and trusting each other goes a long way.

Here's how we do it at home.

I want something -- consider it carefully, look at if it's necessary, or a good offer, and reasonable wrt. our local budget. If it is, I say "Hey, honey, I've been thinking to get XXX for YYY reason, what do you think?". Since it's already been thought out, the answer is typically "Sure, want me to go with you to help carry / choose the color / see which tank doesn't make your *** look fat..." -- or else, something I hadn't thought of is brought to my attention.

Of course, it works both ways, when the NDSU wants something too.

And actually, I am right now getting heat for not having enough cylinders, since I end up renting a few anyways every time I go diving: "renting is expensive, isn't it much cheaper and nicer if you just have enough of your own?"

voop:
And actually, I am right now getting heat for not having enough cylinders, since I end up renting a few anyways every time I go diving: "renting is expensive, isn't it much cheaper and nicer if you just have enough of your own?"
Now this woman has the right attitude :wink: You've got a keeper there!!

I was lucky, sort of, in the fact that when my wife bought a $250 pair of shoes there wasn't much she could say about my spending $400 for a new BP&W.

I no longer have to worry about that though as she's now my EX and I can buy whatever the $%&* I want.

simbrooks:
Now this woman has the right attitude :wink: You've got a keeper there!!

Indeed -- same person, who's currently contemplating constructing something for drying and storing my drysuits for me "because it can't be good to just keep it folded away like that". I'm, indeed, blessed....

Now, we're going out to look for a 2x18l twin-set, which doesn't make my a** look fat :wink:

My fiance and I live together....as long as we both have enough money to pay the bills, neither of us cares what the other spends each others money on. Why would we? I buy what I want, when I want and she does the same. No questions every asked - maybe some jealousy at a cool new toy the other got, but that's about it :)

Back
Top Bottom