How do you keep your mask from flooding while wearing a hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What everyone else said about getting the hood clear of the mask skirt.

In addition, you may want to pay attention to the angle of the mask strap. If too high or too low will also affect the seal and may cause mask to leak. Those mask strap sleeves make putting mask over hoods easier and makes adjusting the angle easier as well.

One time while doing a pool session with students, I realized after a while that my mask strap had come loose and was sitting on top of my head. I don't know how long my mask was strapless--my students later told me they thought I was doing it intentionally to prove a point.

This happens to me ALL the time when diving doubles. The isolator knob just gradually pushes the mask strap up my head until it is floating. I never know about it until my buddy points it out to me . . .

also in the OP you say you tightened the mask strap down tight.....big mistake.... the mask strap is to keep you from loosing the mask when you equalize and clear....NOT to make the mask seal....anyone should be able to dive a mask with no strap at all and it not leak....most ppl that I know that complain about a leaky mask have the strap way to tight....

I'm with Mud & Rox - don't tighten the mask too much, I made that mistake when I first started wearing a hood and the mask leaked. I even find if I have been wearing a mask without a hood and then put a hood on I have to loosen the strap or it is too tight and will leak. Sounds counter intuitive I know but as soon as I started to wear it looser all my problems stopped. - P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom