How do you label your DVDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mafiaman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using a sharpie, But now find I may need someone to translate my hand writing :rofl3:

If you print your labels directly on the DVD please describe how and what printer you use.
Or if you have a unique way please tell us.

I use a sharpie on the ones that are strictly for my archives. Fortunately my printing is pretty good.

For DVD's I send to others, I usually print a Neato label to apply to the DVD.

Another option- Hewlett Packard's LightScribe DVD writer technology allows you to use the writer's laser to etch a label on the surface.

I print directly on CDs / DVDs. It really gives them a professional touch. I bought an an Epson R320 printer because of this feature. The printer comes with software to design and print the DVD label. I usually design my labels in CorelDraw then export them as a jpg and load them in the Epson software to print. I have tried to print directly from CorelDraw but I have had limited success with alignment. The Epson program prints it right on everytime. You can import pictures and add text to the Epson software, I am just more comfortable designing in Corel. The printer is designed to print directly on inkjet printable media but if you don't have the media, you can stomp a blank white label on the DVD and print it and it turns out really good. The printer also does an great job on photos and does borderless printing as well. The Epson R220 is the same printer without the built in memory card reader. I think I saw them at Sam's Club for like $79.

FWIW, I've read reviews indicating that using sticky labels is not the best for CD/DVD media. Especially if you are in humid climates. Seems the labels promote fungus growth and that can ruin your media.

I haven't seen any stats on the LightScribe durability but my guess its better than labels of any sort (although some folk claim its hard to read)

Stick with the sharpie.

I have used the R series of Epson printers and they do very nice but the ink is fairly expensive.

If you are just doing CD's for friends who don't really care about a label, I would suggest you just write better!

If you are wanting it to look good, I would say get one of the Epsons.

Jeff

dgreenh:
I print directly on CDs / DVDs. It really gives them a professional touch. I bought an an Epson R320 printer because of this feature. The printer comes with software to design and print the DVD label. I usually design my labels in CorelDraw then export them as a jpg and load them in the Epson software to print. I have tried to print directly from CorelDraw but I have had limited success with alignment. The Epson program prints it right on everytime. You can import pictures and add text to the Epson software, I am just more comfortable designing in Corel. The printer is designed to print directly on inkjet printable media but if you don't have the media, you can stomp a blank white label on the DVD and print it and it turns out really good. The printer also does an great job on photos and does borderless printing as well. The Epson R220 is the same printer without the built in memory card reader. I think I saw them at Sam's Club for like $79.

Similar for me, except I use "Disc Label" ? software for mac.
A bit fiddly to get the alignment right, but once dialed in, the results are great.

i avoided sticky labels as i was concerned they would peel off and jam a drive.

I use Light Scribe DVD's, so I flip them over, write a label in the software, and the laser inscribes it.

I use CD labels, works easy and I even add fish to the label for fun. then print them out in color and stick them on the CD. I save the label and just change the wording next time I make a different video

i know this is a little off subject but as a person who makes dvd use verbatim dvd's also don t fall for the labels i hear they mess up and make the dvd skip verbatim will last much longer and play extremly well dont go cheap usually get at sams for 32 for a 100 dvds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom