How do you say No to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you would rather be injured? :wink:
Knowing him, I would imagine the answer to be "yes". He hates seeing others suffer.

you would rather be injured? :wink:

In this case, yes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But I am not, I am going diving! Wish I had discipline to say no... Can you say no to diving? If so...how?? :D

Life is a constant balancing act between what we must do and what we want to do. When I went to university I was a terrible student. I didn't have any study habits going in and the studying I did do wasn't very efficient at first.

My solution was to study 12 hours a day 6 days a week and go diving on day #7. In my case I had plenty of buddies around because my uncle, who worked at the university, was a marine biologist and they (he and his clan) were always off doing something on the weekend. (as an aside, you wouldn't believe how cold and bored you can get watching starfish mate... but that's another story).
My point is, that discipline and diving don't need to be mutually exclusive. See dive day as your reward for showing discipline when it counts.... and BTW, you're going to need to learn how to live like this if you go into law. Everyone I know who became even marginally successful as a lawyer has no life... the job is it's own reward and blah blah blah. Rich, but no life.

To my way of thinking, the only thing worse than being a lawyer would be being in jail.

... or being famous. I think being famous would be worse than being a lawyer or a criminal... but that's another story for another time.

R..

Wait until you are married, then the options change.

Yeah... less sex and less diving :(

... and don't even start about children. If you want to say no to diving, just say yes to children. :shocked2:

If people were properly informed about the realities of parenthood ahead of time there would be no overcrowding and everyone would be finding more time for sex AND diving.

... that and avoiding getting into jobs that eat your soul from the inside out.... :no:

R..

Hey no big deal if you don't pass it. There is a lawyer in California doing lap dances cause she got let go and can't find a job. Saw it on MSNBC. Making 500-700 a night some nights. So if you don't get it polish up the stilettos, shave whatever needs shaving, and dance! I'd do it if I thought I could make half that!

I guarantee you, Jim. if you did it, you would get on Youtube. I might even fly over to film it myself. :D

R..

melanie - You are SO lucky to live close to the St. Lawrence so I can understand not being able to say no to diving. I was up there last weekend and finally got to dive the Vickery, a double dip on her. A huge freighter passed as we penetrated the Vickery and it caused such a loud rumble while the water trembled....very cool! It was my third trip to the St. Lawrence and never get tired of diving it.

I've never dived the wrecks on Canadian side of the St. Lawrence but will the next time I'm up north. :D

Who knew making a random move across the country would result in fantastic diving!! I did the Vickery a few weeks ago as well, amazing view. Except when we went there were 2 thermoclines! How the heck those developed in the river I have no idea. It made it pretty chilly at the bottom.

But oh those freighters are so great. You don't just hear them, you feel the rumble and clang bang boom in your chest lol. Too cool. Missed being under when 2 went by last night, but thats ok there will be more :D

ajtoady mentioned the Eastcliff - I dropped on that last night! lol, done that wreck enough that just say hello and goodbye as the current takes it away. Crossed the channel and came up on the north side. I have never done a night dive crossing the channel it was great.

You know I never thought I would want a dry suit, thinking if the water got that cold then forget it I don't need to dive. But oh this river keeps calling to me... I just can't stop lol

As a recent law school grad (who still has lots of student debt! bleh!) ..I say, study, and after you're done, you have the rest of the year to dive! I wish I could say you'll have lots of time to dive *during* law school...but I barely found time to sleep the first year. But after the LSAT, and until you start school...dive :)

However, after you're done law school....wayyyyy more time! (well, not during that pesky BAR studying phase, but otherwise..) :) I have just joined the diving community myself!

Last edited:
You know I never thought I would want a dry suit, thinking if the water got that cold then forget it I don't need to dive. But oh this river keeps calling to me... I just can't stop lol
I use to think I'd never want a drysuit too. Now that I own one I can't imagine diving without it. A drysuit extends your local dive season and it opened up additional dive site opportunities. I dove Tobermory for the first time last month, with its low 40s water temps at depth and I was warm in my drysuit.

If the river continues to call you...I see a drysuit in your future. :D

Have I ever mentioned that I don't need a dry suit here in the Keys any time? Glad I moved here so my diving never has to have a "season". In fact, I have yet to dive with even a wet suit down here. I don't really don't like rubbing it in, but Island life suits me just fine. Actually, that's a lie. I really do like to rub it in. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom