How do you secure your scuba diving gear from prying hands et al.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you all need to start wacking a few Dutch Insurance company execs in the kneecaps and tell them "it's not that bad".

Once lost a cheap dive compass, Strap broke.
Never anything stolen.
Keep vehicles locked and on shore dives there are lots of other divers around that I know and know me. We look out for each other. Most of us would have no problem making a thief think we were going to take them on a "tour" of the dive site if we were to catch them. They would not have any gear on but what the hey.
Stuff at home and in the shop is all insured and guarded by a couple of attack cats.
If I'm at home you in a heap of trouble.

Last edited:
Sounds like you all need to start shooting a few Dutch Insurance company execs in the kneecaps and tell them "it's not that bad".

I wish. I do believe in karma so I have some comfort in knowing that these people will come back in some future life and be the cat that gets hit but not quite killed by a passing car.

I should state for the record that some insurance works just fine here. Medical insurance as well as home owner insurance and several other important types of coverage, like car insurance, are government controlled on a sort of single-payer system.

Those things work exactly like they should because you can say anything you want about government, but they're not in the business of scamming.

Its private insurance companies selling BS policies that you have to watch out for. Anything private insurer who says they'll cover you for theft of anything is happy to take your money but as far as I know they never pay out. Maybe I've been incredibly unlucky, but it's the kind of unlucky that makes you want to drive a tank through the front door and give them a piece of your mind!

R..

I WISH someone would steal most of my gear. It's insured, so it would be an awesome upgrade opportunity!

This made my day! :)

1. Was there ever a time that you lost some pieces of expensive scuba diving equipment? You could probably follow my diving career by the trail of lift-bags, reels, double-ender clips, cutting tools etc etc strewn across the bottom in my wake... And there's a very expensive VR3 computer that I 'lost' with prejudice at 160 feet or so on the top of a drop-off. Watching it slowly tumble into the abyss was strangely satisfying.
  2. Were you able to retrieve them? Sometimes, although the lift-bag I found after a curious shark had given it a 'gumming' wasn't ever going to be much use again... And I'm not going after the VR3.
  3. Have you ever had your scuba diving equipment stolen? Yes. Bizarrely, we occasionally get customers who walk into our equipment shed, in the middle of nowhere, where replacing anything is impossible, and apparently think 'Ooh, wet-notes, I've always wanted a set of those,' or 'Nice mask. I'll take it!' It's rare, though.
  4. Have you ever had your scuba diving equipment swapped for another diver's? Most of mine is, erm, quite well-used, often with duct tape performing important functions. Unlikely to get picked up by mistake. Easy-to-confuse items like computers stay with me.
  5. How do you usually secure your own gear from possible loss, swapping, or theft? By standing glaring at anyone who goes near it and growling if they get too near. Makes me many friends.
  6. Do you think purchasing insurance for your equipment is worth it? I'm with Rob. I've been ripped off by insurance companies too often, and I've never lived in the Netherlands. I tried to get hull insurance for one of my boats. The insurance company wanted to exclude damage caused by coral. We're in the South Pacific. There's a lot of coral. The policy they were proposing I should pay approximately 10% of the boat's value for annually essentially excluded every possible way I could damage the hull, other than another boat falling out of the sky onto it. On the other hand, apparently my DAN Europe hyperbaric insurance will pay for someone to recover my gear if I die in a diving accident. Like I'll care...

I knew a dive guide in the Philippines who found a tourist's much-treasured Nikonos V camera (dropped off the boat) at 70m. The grateful tourist's response? 'Ah, good. My camera. Give it to me.' So I guess whether I'd return stuff would really depend on the attitude of the person who lost it. Hmmm. That may say bad things about why I lose so much gear...

How about DAN? Has anyone ever had or known any one with any experience in dealing with their equipment insurance on the preferred and master plans? Instructors and dive shops are always pushing this. It would be nice to see some actual feedback from it other than chamber rides.

I ask this because our LDS is planning a trip to Cozumel and I could just imagine someones gear getting lost in the luggage. I have known several people to have their baggage lost through the years.

Hi everyone,

A few days back, I noticed a thread asking whether you would return to a lost-and-found mask to the original owner. That thread got me thinking:

1. Was there ever a time that you lost some pieces of expensive scuba diving equipment?
  2. Were you able to retrieve them?
  3. Have you ever had your scuba diving equipment stolen?
  4. Have you ever had your scuba diving equipment swapped for another diver's?
  5. How do you usually secure your own gear from possible loss, swapping, or theft?
  6. Do you think purchasing insurance for your equipment is worth it?

I'm very interested in what you have to share. Thank you! :)
1.just a dive knife and I never found it, I've dropped fins and mask a few times on the shore while walking in or out of water and I've always found them as it's only been in calm, clear lakes that I'm careless, in surf I'm much more careful to secure my gear
2.na
3. Had a computer " lost" on the Galapegos Agressor, pretty sure it was a crew member, it mysteriously reappeared when our entire group threatened to withhold tips if it didn't show up
4.no
5.I usually just keep stuff tidy and anything not being used goes back in the dive bag during dives. On live aboards, I keep anything that is not being used in my room, what is in constant use stays secure on my kit except the computer, I now keep that on my person or in my room
6. Home owner's most of the time, when going on a dive trip I get higher level of DAN with trip insurance, especially for big trips involving flights, I think some sort of insurance is worth it, if you have good equipment, if you have old, purchased use equipment, maybe not. I now have much nicer equipment than I used to so I'm more aware of my coverage

I've never had any gear stolen, ever, from anywhere.

If you keep your stuff neat and organized and alll either on your person or in your bag on the boat, it's unlikely you'll ever have anything stolen.

Shore diving is different. If you leave stuff on the shore or beach, it's entirely possible it will be gone when you return.

flots.

About a year and a half ago my save-a-dive kit was stolen out of the back of my car. It included two large boxes, plus a DAN O2 kit ... about $2500 worth of stuff. My homeowner's insurance paid for it, minus the $1000 deductible I carry on my policy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I knew a dive guide in the Philippines who found a tourist's much-treasured Nikonos V camera (dropped off the boat) at 70m. The grateful tourist's response? 'Ah, good. My camera. Give it to me.' So I guess whether I'd return stuff would really depend on the attitude of the person who lost it. Hmmm. That may say bad things about why I lose so much gear...

I would throw that camera back over the side of the boat.

Jord

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom