How do you store your gear for transporting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been keeping my gear in a Rubbermaid bin. However, I've just purchased a new car with a much smaller trunk. The bin won't fit. :idk: I could put it in the backseat, but I'm planning to dive with a friend soon, so we need to be able to accommodate her gear, too. Sometimes we also carry a cooler. What have you all found to be a sensible way to truck your gear around without having it in bits and pieces? I like to be very organized, and it drives me crazy to have things scattered all over the place. I'm considering a couple of large duffel bags. I always carry an extra mask and a small tool box, so I need a little more room than you would typically need for a standard set of gear. Would sure appreciate your input!

I carry my gear in a Tupperware container too, I just put mine in the back of my Outback. Even in that new Civic of yours, if you carry only what you need, and put it in a smaller Tupperware container, you should be able to carry it all. If necessary, leave the dive gear and make room for another cooler of your fried chicken.:eyebrow:

I carry my gear in a Tupperware container too, I just put mine in the back of my Outback. Even in that new Civic of yours, if you carry only what you need, and put it in a smaller Tupperware container, you should be able to carry it all. If necessary, leave the dive gear and make room for another cooler of your fried chicken.:eyebrow:

:rofl3: and that is exactly what my forward-thinking mind is pondering: how to fit my gear AND a cooler or two packed with fried chicken, brownies, trail mix, peaches, and Cokes into my Civic, as well! I HAVE TO FEED MY DIVERS . . . forget the gear, huh?

A waterproof tarp can be used to line the trunk if wet stuff will be transported inside.

My trunk has a rubber liner in it with a 2-inch lip. :D

Another thing to keep in mind is that your large, rolling zipper bag and mesh bag should have saltwater corrosion-resistant zippers if you are diving in the ocean and going to be transporting wet gear inside of them. With fresh water diving, this isn't an issue.
I will keep that in mind should I get to dive in the ocean. I'm doing good to get up to Jocassee to dive in fresh water.

To be clear, the Rubbermaid bins don't accompany us on our boat dives.
That's probably the problem with my thinking. Sometimes we do a walk-in dive, and sometimes we are on the boat. I was trying to think of a way to keep my gear storage the same regardless of where I go. Maybe I'm just making this too hard?

the LLBean Adventure Rolling Duffle:

Rolling Adventure Duffle, Extra-Large: Duffle Bags at L.L.Bean

The duffle often holds mine and my wifes gear. LLBean also replaces their luggage without question in my experience if a problem arises (such as a large steel tank being dropped onto the wheel which happened to mine).

I really like that LLBean duffel bag. I do like their replacement guarantee. At least you didn't drop that tank on your TOE!! :D

as has been pointed out, make sure you line the trunk (or back seat) with waterproof barrier ... salt/corrosion inside your car is your enemy

as has been pointed out, make sure you line the trunk (or back seat) with waterproof barrier ... salt/corrosion inside your car is your enemy

don't forget mold....also not your friend

'nuther question: do you all keep your weights in whatever container you use to haul your gear?

I take my Tupperware on the boat. Also, I do not take weight on any dives except for in the ocean. And then, no, I carry the weight either loose in my trunk or in a tank bag.

don't forget mold....also not your friend

I purchased a damp rid closet type hanging moisture absorber that I now keep in the trunk(trunk has a passthrough to the rest of the car if you don't have one i'd probably get 2). They are like $3 and last about 1-2 months. Great investment, prevents mold and gets rid of that day after the dive musky/damp smell in the car.

Mold is much less costly on your wiring/electrical/computer systems.
Just getting salt laden beach sand inside is not so good if/when you add moisture from air
... I work on cars, I know what salt water does to the insides, and how costly it can be

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom