How does COLD affect your gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Its -20 degrees Centigrade out side and the water is far warmer than the air.

How does cold affect your gear when you come out of the water.

It has to be rough on it. I can picture my BC freezing up and crackin' or my fins getting kinda stiff and snappin'. (lol) :wink:

A bunch of us were out diving Humber Bay today in Toronto. Water was a nice 37F, but when we got out, the air temp was around 10F, with wind chill clost to about 0F or -20C I think. My drysuit froze solid and could stand up by itself. Couldn't disassembly my rig as everything was a solid block of ice. Had trouble with the zippers freezing closed so I brought a thermos of warm water to melt them.

Posiedon Xstream the colder and deep you take it the batter it performs. Sorry there just isn't anything better performing out there.

DSV1

Warren_L:
A bunch of us were out diving Humber Bay today in Toronto. Water was a nice 37F, but when we got out, the air temp was around 10F, with wind chill clost to about 0F or -20C I think. My drysuit froze solid and could stand up by itself. Couldn't disassembly my rig as everything was a solid block of ice. Had trouble with the zippers freezing closed so I brought a thermos of warm water to melt them.
Man....that is cold!

May I never have to experience that..........

Ice dive anyone?..lol I am sure I would be miserable but I would like to try it once, maybe twice.
Got to be careful with the gear when it gets cold or things can start to break.

Snowbear:
Hey - Where's the snow???
That's just wrong - when it's that cold, you should at least have the benefit of snow to go with it. We had periods here last year where I was calling this place the great brown north. Snow sure hides a lot :wink:
And sometimes it collects a lot. A couple of years ago it snowed on December 2nd. It did not snow again, nor did it get above freezing for the rest of the month. Trust me, I was really hoping for a melt, snow gets really really grey over ther course of a month with nothing new falling on it...

It wasn't supposed to be this cold! Yesterday it was about 6 C, and out of nowhere we get thrown into a deep freeze. My gear is sitting in my kitchen thawing as we speak. At one point, I took my trek boots off and stood on the asphalt and was sticking to it as they froze stuck....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom