How does Oceanic stack up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Netdoc, I really appreciate the forum you supply here on scubaboard, but on this issue, I call a BS attempt to excuse a sponser's deficiency. Why have manuals at all?
No BS my friend, just a different approach. Every diver is different and has different needs. I got the VT3 BEFORE they wrote the manual for it (prototype) and with little effort, I figured it out. But hey, I run a web site so I guess I am kinda geeky. The manual came about a week later. I have yet to read a manual for a regulator OR a BC. I feel that most everything you need to know about these bad boys should be taught in your open water class.

That being said, if you ever get the chance, look up Walter at the Divers Direct on I-Drive in Orlando. Just ask him about ANY piece of gear in that shop. He does such a WONDERFUL job showing you every nook and cranny and does it SO patiently that you simply won't forget it! I have brought customers in there just so HE can fit them just right and I come away understanding the gear just a tad bit better. If the dive shop is doing it's job, then the manuals are superfluous. But if you want them, you want them. This should be GREAT feedback for Oceanic to get on the ball and produce them!

I have to agree that Oceanic's manuals are a bit difficult to navigate. I spent quite a bit of time deciphering the VT3 manual. However, with a bit of patience, you can get through it.

Reefduffer, I am sorry you have had trouble with their manuals. Perhaps technical writing is not Oceanic's strong point, but they sure do make great equipment. In my experience, their customer service has been really awesome too.

I don't want to be misunderstood: My complaint here isn't with the technical writing.
It's adequate, and I have certainly seen much worse.

My complaint is that the manuals provided do not describe, and make no attempt to describe, the products they are supplied with, except as they are accidentally similar to older Oceanic products. If the features of my regs were described as well as those of the Delta3, I would probably be quiet about the issue.

And I have no complaint about their customer service, or the equipment itself. I own it, I dive it, and I'm mostly liking it. The manuals are still awful.

I have yet to read a manual for a regulator OR a BC. I feel that most everything you need to know about these bad boys should be taught in your open water class.

Manual? I don't need no stinkin manual. That's what ScubaBoard is for. I have 2 buttons on my Computer. Does anyone know what the right one is for?:D

Manual? I don't need no stinkin manual. That's what ScubaBoard is for. I have 2 buttons on my Computer. Does anyone know what the right one is for?:D
If you don't know how to coypy & paste, you should read the manual, but honestly - I learned that on SB, too...

Netdoc,

You figured out the VT3 without the manual? It's got so many features, different menus and button combos. You are king geek:D

Well, for ONE, I have a ton of VEO250s and they operate in a similar fashion. I use them for my student gear. I just had a few more "menus" to scroll through. OK, reading through my review I see that I didn't mention anything about not having the manual. Time has a way of changing your perceptions but reading "between the lines", I think that I just opted not to mention that! You can find that review here=>>> The VT3: First Blush

ill cook

Oceanic makes very good regs, but for customer service I prefer Aeris. I know they're the same company, but for some reason when I call Aeris, I'm on the phone with a real human being in seconds. When I call Oceanic (admittedly not in the last year and more) I get stuck on hold listening to a recording for twenty to thirty minutes (yes literally). I finally learned to call Aeris with all questions on Oceanic products.

Oceanic makes very good regs, but for customer service I prefer Aeris. I know they're the same company, but for some reason when I call Aeris, I'm on the phone with a real human being in seconds. When I call Oceanic (admittedly not in the last year and more) I get stuck on hold listening to a recording for twenty to thirty minutes (yes literally). I finally learned to call Aeris with all questions on Oceanic products.
Really?! :11: Never happened to me that I recall, and I have called about a lot of dumb things. I called the other day on this thread, but talked with a sales rep - not a tech. Still, I don't remember a problem. You might try them after the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom