How does Oceanic stack up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic DOES SELL DIRECT!!!
Go to their website.
No they don't! They redirect you to the dealer closest to you. Smart move on their part.

OK, let's get organized here:

KOMPRESSOR, you and DandyDon are on Torch duty. Figure 15 total in case we have one burn out early.

I have a 5 gallon can of Kerosene.

We'll need a dozen or so additional villagers. Tom Winters, can you go around and recruit about 10 more?

We'll all meet at the fountain in the center of town tonight at midnight.

Anything else we need? Food would be nice. Maybe someone will make us all sandwiches or something.

-Charles
THIS made my day! Thanks!

(PS I'll bring the whine, or do we have enought already?)

Heck! Gotta tell you all, I've been in the "business" some years, and I've never been so happy with any of my suppliers as with the national Oceanic distributor. So if anyone with Oceanic reads this, credit to your people in Norway! :)

I've got Oceanic GT3/CDX5 regs, Islander BC, and folding snorkel. Less than a dozen dives
on them, but FWIW, they're just fine, plus or minus a feature here or there.
And my limited interaction with customer service has been problem-free.

However, if it matters to you, be advised that their user manuals are awful. See
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/190235-updated-manuals.html

If you buy an Oceanic reg, you can be pretty sure you will get a paper manual that describes
their regulator products as of 2002. It won't mention your current regs, but it will
describe some they no longer sell. You might be able to infer features and operation
of your regs with a little guesswork about models. The online manual is the same.
I just now checked, still no update. Same for BCs.

That may not matter to you, some people never read manuals. Just be aware.

Also, don't be fooled by Oceanic presence and responses on this board into thinking
they necessarily answer questions. They only respond if it suits them, and are
happy to ignore inconvenient questions.

I still have their gear and no plans to get rid of it.

What features are you speaking of on a reg? Breathe in and breathe out kinda cover it for me! :D I have to say that I haven't looked at a reg manual in years. I see the importance in this for a computer, but not a reg or a BC.

What features do you need help with?

Oceanic DOES SELL DIRECT!!!
Go to their website.
I did, they don't. They will refer you to authorized dealers.

Then I dialed 1-800-435-3483, Option 1 for Sales. Kimberly was very nice about explaining that they will not sell direct.

Their site will direct you to the closest dealers or to a list of online dealers.

I'll get more torches... :crafty:

What features are you speaking of on a reg? Breathe in and breathe out kinda cover it for me! :D I have to say that I haven't looked at a reg manual in years. I see the importance in this for a computer, but not a reg or a BC.

What features do you need help with?

The GT3 has a breathing effort adjustment knob.
I have assumed that it works the same as the Delta 3, which is what is
described in the manual I received with my reg, and what's on their website.
After all, why would it change? And it seems to do the right thing.
Of course, something must have changed between Delta3 and GTX3.
I hope it's nothing I need to know about ...

As for the BC, how about weight stowing, size adjustments, ...
Same thing, I read the description of older models, look at my Islander,
use some common sense, and dive. I'm still here, so I guess there's no issue.
Or the advertised feature of "integrated instrument retractor". Bought the
optional retractor, couldn't figure out where it was intended to go.
Got no answer from Doug Krause & company. Another scubaboard member
suggested something that sort of makes sense, never confirmed by Oceanic.
Not what I wanted, I home-brewed something. Maybe I'm overlooking something
better?

Netdoc, I really appreciate the forum you supply here on scubaboard, but on
this issue, I call a BS attempt to excuse a sponser's deficiency. Why have manuals at all?
If you're going to have them, why can't they describe the current products in a
way that eliminates guesswork and ambiguity?

And read that older thread I referenced - if the manuals for regs and BCs are unimportant,
why does Oceanic require that I certify that I've read the manuals as a condition of the warranty?

OK, let's get organized here:

KOMPRESSOR, you and DandyDon are on Torch duty. Figure 15 total in case we have one burn out early.

I have a 5 gallon can of Kerosene.

We'll need a dozen or so additional villagers. Tom Winters, can you go around and recruit about 10 more?

We'll all meet at the fountain in the center of town tonight at midnight.

Anything else we need? Food would be nice. Maybe someone will make us all sandwiches or something.

-Charles

Find something besides kerosene. It ruins the flavor of the meat.

I have to agree that Oceanic's manuals are a bit difficult to navigate. I spent quite a bit of time deciphering the VT3 manual. However, with a bit of patience, you can get through it.

Reefduffer, I am sorry you have had trouble with their manuals. Perhaps technical writing is not Oceanic's strong point, but they sure do make great equipment. In my experience, their customer service has been really awesome too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom