How far do you go for a shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferg822

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was recently in Turks and Caicos when I saw a diver getting a shot of a sleeping nurse from about a meter away with a strobe in its face. Luckily, the shark didn't wake but if it did things could have gone bad fast. Even though it is a nurse, a sharks a shark and I'm pretty sure they're not to be messed with. I'm not a professional photographer, but how far do you go before you call it quits?

Usually a nurse shark's first instinct is to flee but if it feels trapped it will turn to bite.
Can it go bad? Oh yeah
I've gotten within a couple feet of a nurse and it did leave. I wasn't trying to touch it in any way and I approached it slowly so I could get close and show the student that all sharks aren't out to get you.

It would've sucked if it bit me :depressed:

I have read about people on this board that openly admit they have no problem rolling around on the bottom to get a shot and others that claim to have never touched a thing in their life. I make every single possible effort to not touch anything while I am beneath the serface. If it is a shore entry, I walk in and out...that is where my planned "touching" starts and stops. As soon as I can float, I do and I start my no-touch. Have I ever bumped something? Yes. Was it on purpose? No. Does it happen frequently? Absolutely not.

Will I think twice about using my strobe when taking a picture? Definitely not. I do not see that as being a danger to any life form. If it was pointed out that a particular species were in fact stressed to dangerous levels by the strobe then I would turn it off for any shots of them. Otherwise, I use it happily and hope it gets me a better image.

I do believe that the environment that we are in is not our own when we are diving and therefore should treat it with respect. I think most divers do but some choose not to and they ruin it for the rest of us (literally as sometimes all it takes to begin the coral killing sequence is a single touch - so I have read anyways).

Like this?
249040634_29d00d9dbe.jpg

This is one of the biggest nurses I've ever seen. And NOT sleeping...
Photo on 35mm film with a 105mm/2.8D at not more than 2 feet away inside his "cave".

The closer the better, I reckon :) I'm routinely only inches from various sharks, big eels etc...

All of life has risks and part of being a good diver and a good photo taker at any level is being able to assess those risks to you, the environment, your buddy and the marine life around you.

I think basically you shouldn't harm wildlife or habitat. Definitely I wouldn't touch corals, but a sandy bottom beside a reef is a perfect place to take some photos. Likewise, I mostly don't worry about bothering fish by getting too close or using strobes. If they don't like it, they swim away.

Also, I think sometimes people anthropomorphize some of the creatures we're diving with. I think it's probably a natural tendency, but at the same time I am pretty sure fish or lobsters or whatever are processing information in a very different way than we do, and being afraid or annoyed is nothing like how we experience those things.

Like this?
249040634_29d00d9dbe.jpg

This is one of the biggest nurses I've ever seen. And NOT sleeping...
Photo on 35mm film with a 105mm/2.8D at not more than 2 feet away inside his "cave".

Wow. I never knew the skin looks like that.

Most sharks will generally flee from a photographer. As far as things going "bad," probably not from a nurse shark encounter. The animal will tell you how close you can get.

Nice shot Mariozi.

I agree to look, but don't touch. I do try to get as close as possible though. Just this passed weekend I got within inches/feet of some Sandtiger's, eels, lionfish.

Back
Top Bottom