How hard is it to find a DM job in Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucmarchand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'm wondering how hard is it to find a DM job in Egypt just after 2 months of DM internship in Croatia, and no experience in Egypt before? It will be 100 logged dives.

I also found it will be paid around 40€ a day (for 2 dives I guess), can someone confirm this info?

Thanks for the reply!

At the moment, I am sorry to say - next to impossible, unless you are planning to stay and do your IDC in which case you might earn some basic commission from helping out here and there. At least, that is the case here in Sharm.

You are clearly fluent in English and fluency in one or more of the following would be a significant advantage: German, Russian, Italian, Swedish/Danish... Other languages are helpful but in the minority

For payment - 40E a day basic pay would be a good deal. The usual pay structure is commission based - with a basic daily rate + extras. It's possible to earn as little as 10 Euros per day, sometimes more than 100, but a DM who can't teach would be at the lower end of the pay scale. Don't forget you'll be competing against instructors who have lived here for years and with thousands of dives in the Red Sea alone, and more around the world.

I can only really speak for Sharm although I think it's fairly representative of most of Egypt's dive-tourism locations. If you want to work here, the best thing to do would be to get yourself on an IDC in Egypt, prove yourself over the other candidates, and hang around long enough that somebody will give you work out of sympathy! :D

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but it;s the truth, and also Egypt has suffered a dramatic decline in tourism so it's not exactly boom time for spending lots of money and hiring new employees....

Good luck though - and if you want to ask questions offline feel free to PM me.

cheers

C.

I would actually also consider another thing with regards to getting a job in Sharm or elsewhere in Egypt these days and thats the elections.
Its a fairly "exciting" time with regards to how the tourism will fare when the elections is over and all that may or may not entail..

I would suggest 'almost impossible' unless you have some particular USP (like being fluent in several languages, prob. including Arabic and Russian). However, that's just my impression based on conversations with various DMs and Instructors out there (of which I am neither).

I am sure that Crowley or DiveBunnie could give you a beter response..?

(EDIT - Posted before responses above had loaded.)

Unfortunately, 40 €/day for a DM is next to impossible. Here in Dahab DMs are paid (as freelancers) aound 10.- €/dive plus some small commissions here and there - and freelancers are not in demand much right now for the reasons Crowley already mentioned. Finding a regular job with a guaranteed income? As a DM you won´t...
Apart from that: it´s low season right now, work permits are hard to get, the centers aren´t making any money since last year anyway and who knows in which way Egypt is going to go after the presidential elections. Not the best of times to look for work here!

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm wondering how hard is it to find a DM job in Egypt just after 2 months of DM internship in Croatia, and no experience in Egypt before? It will be 100 logged dives.

Ultimately, no chance for various reasons. Firstly, most places only hire instructors as they can do everything instead of just guide so its more efficient staffing wise. Secondly, work permits and licences are required (in sharm at least) which means the centre has ratios, lawyers, fairly heavy fees (roughly 7,500LE this year) and contracts. They wont give a slot to a lowly DM in place of an instructor.

Also 100 dives is really inexperienced especially for some of the sites. If you have 2 or 3 languages and do an IDC/IE then theres a chance. Otherwise, no.

I also found it will be paid around 40€ a day (for 2 dives I guess), can someone confirm this info?

Thanks for the reply!

Bloody hell! Where is this so i can go there! That's roughly twice the normal daily guided rate in most places!

In Hurghada a lot of Dive Schools are struggling due to the low number of tourists following the hoo haa of the elections. Finding a DM job will be very difficult as you will be competing with local DM's who are also hunting for work. We get 3 - 4 Egyptian DM's calling in at the school each day looking for employment. We have an IDC lined up for September, if you're interested??? This would help you get work more easily here but certainly German, French and Russian would also be a huge advantage. Good luck with your search :)

I would actually also consider another thing with regards to getting a job in Sharm or elsewhere in Egypt these days and thats the elections.
Its a fairly "exciting" time with regards to how the tourism will fare when the elections is over and all that may or may not entail..

Exciting time would not have been my first description. Instability suits the situation much better IMO. If you have something to transport rockets towards the Sinai Peninsula you may find work with the Brotherhood. :wink:

Last edited:
Yeah i wouldnt call it exciting. Sinai has absolutely no security or control, the bedouin have become just a mafia causing grief to most businesses. Kidnappings are a regular event.
Theres a president who has no legal powers at all and a country now under effective military rule and that WILL come under test shortly then Egypt will be on the news again for the wrong reasons.

The country, in particular sinai needs a MASSIVE security crackdown. It needs army, police and dedicated campaign to keep the bedoun in check but it wont happen. To be honest, as far as the tourism industry was concerned - it was far better under mubarack!

Back
Top Bottom