How is the Rescue Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're definitely able to retain more right out of the gate if you take Rescue as an experienced and well skilled diver. However you miss a lot as to becoming a reliable and observant buddy if you wait.

I think it's better to take the class, gain as much knowledge as you can get, and then look back and review your materials as you continue to dive.
At the very least learn how to perform a basic rescue and assist a panicked diver. You can get a mentor for that.

I just finished my rescue class in October and it's the best class I have taken since OW. I gained a lot of confidence in my abilities in the water as well as in being able to help a fellow diver if something goes wrong. I learned a lot from the course. It was all worth every dollar I paid for it. I had an instructor that made it all as real as possible and was very open to questions and to repeat drills if we wanted. Before the class I felt like I could dive, but I wasn't really a real diver. After the class I really felt like I had a good handle on diving. It felt great. I had around 50 dives when I did it.

Take the class, it should be fun, rewarding and challenging. If you have some good stamina you should be fine, if you are a couch potato, you may want to hit the pool.

Rescue is a great class. Just make sure you have basic diving skills down so you are not messing around with buoyancy when you suppose to be rescuing someone or doing a drill. Most of the water work is at the surface. I think it should be a 50 dive minimum but I believe PADI says 25 and I do not think that is enforced. Sometimes the 'put another dollar in' rings true.
PADI has no prerequisite on dive count before taking rescue. Some stores or instructors may have a dive count.

It's been one the certifications I took the most advantage from. It makes you start thinking not only on "you" and your safety but in the safety of everyone in the dive.
It won't improve your diving skills per se, but it will give you plenty of tools on how to handle difficult situations. If you are planning to do the cert on a fun place in order to enjoy some diving as well, I would recommend that you take the EFR certification before traveling, as that is the general CPR training.

Enjoy!
ALE

I would echo what many have already said: Rescue was one of my favorite classes. I think it helps you to be a better diver in that it helps you to think proactively as opposed to reactively. It also provides a basic skill set in the event that you do need to react. You may also get some benefit from the psychological side of the rescue class. Specifically, the class talks about how to identify potential problems when they are just small "mindset" issues (before they become big problem situations) and also how to help people think through and learn from challenges. Good luck and happy learning!

I know this is my old topic, though I am going to be taking this course starting tonight. I have 28 dives and I have heard a lot of good things about this course. I got a group of 6 of us together from a local scuba club and we requested that they go rough on us. Apparently the Open Water portion will occur in Lake Ontario when it is a bit choppy.

Although I don't have a lot of dives under my belt, only 28. I decided to take this as my dive buddy who happen to be a DM suggested I take the course, since he thought I was an excellent diver for the amount of dives I have.

+1 on take the course. Definitely. But dive your butt off. There is no substitute for a lot of experience in a variety of challenging conditions.

Love the class. It was great knowledge just like everyone said. I didn't have too many dives when I took it. It made me stop myself at times and evaluate as a young diver. Go for it. Certifications can never hurt, it is only more gained knowledge as long as you are comfortable with where you are already at.

Since you dive in New England, I suggest you investigate the class before signing up to make sure they go into detail on hyperthermia. Not all instructors invest the time and effort to make an essentially off-the-shelf syllabus relevant to your environment. You probably already know there are some shops/instructors that run a class like a production line while others truly invest in their students.

IMHO, rescue is one class that you want instructors biased toward ex-marine drill sergeants, or at least a good coach. Part of the value is leading (or driving) you to discover what you can really accomplish when a life is on the line. I also think it is important to have someone who won’t sugar-coat what you might be called on to deal with. A really good rescue class can be the toughest and most rewarding investment you can make in yourself.

I suggest taking a Red Cross first aid class and get CPR certified first. You will be better prepared to ask questions and absorb information… which reminds me, my CPR card is out of date. :shocked2:

I had all of 13 dives when I did my SSI stress and rescue course. When I was younger I had earned the Red Cross junior and senior life saving certifications, so I felt pretty capable of handling the course, even though I was a new diver. I was right and finished the course with no problems.

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom