How kick /swim / fin backwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can any one give me some pointers how to improve my reverse propulsion, right now I can only back up at about the 1/20 of my normal speed.
thanks
m&m

Its actually very simple. Imagine your flutter kick. do you see it? now, do you see that path that your legs traced? Now stop kicking and reverse the direction that your legs are travelling (i.e. if you right leg is moving up, move it down). Just reply for any clarifications.

brandon

:wink:

thanks,
I tried it in the pool,
MUCH better...

...that I'm committed to mastering this season, come hell or high water! A few things I keep in mind when practicing that I can share....

Speed: Remember that this is a very deliberate move, so focus more on your efficiency, (distance traveled per kick) than overall speed.

Technique: (I don't know how clear the FifthD video comes across). When I practice, I think of it as three fluid moves. Of course starting from horizontal/feet up position...

1) Keeping your fins together (to keep the surface area at a minimum) glide you fins back keeping them perfectly horizontal. If they are even slightly turned up, you will be propelled forward and downward. If they are turned down, you will be propelled forward as well. This is by the far the most difficult part, and of course the one I struggle with.

2) Rotate your ankles outward

3) Draw your legs out and around, scooping water to thrust you backwards. Come back to neutral.

I appoligize if any of this is unclear, but hope it's still a bit helpful.

After mastering this...I'm going go for rotating while finning backwards. Our Fundamentals class saw Andrew G do it....and it's a great move to use to turn and face your buddy, or just to look really cool. :D

Good Luck,
Chris

What is the trick to this? About 20% of the time I can get it right, the rest of the time it moves me slightly backward but upward or does nothing at all. I can't tell what I'm doing different from when I've got it right and when I've got it wrong.

For those of you who have mastered it, could you please elaborate:doctor:

It's hard to say without seeing what your doing but I think if your moving your on the right track.

Some suggestions...

Arch your back more
Don't over do the power. You don't have to ge very far with each kick.

jbd once bubbled...
What is the trick to this? About 20% of the time I can get it right, the rest of the time it moves me slightly backward but upward or does nothing at all. I can't tell what I'm doing different from when I've got it right and when I've got it wrong.

For those of you who have mastered it, could you please elaborate:doctor:

Back Kick technique:

Unfortunately, this is the poorest of the video clips that is listed on the FifthD site and after Andrew G stepped us through how to do it properly (in our DIRF class), I mentioned that he might want to get a better video clip.

I'll attempt to describe the stroke in my own words:

1. In a re-chambered frog kick position (knees bent, fins horizontal), put the bottom of your fins together.
  2. Keeping your knees in their same starting position (DON'T drop them), pivot your fins backward (bottom of fins still together). You'll be rotating down through an arc.
  3. When your legs are almost straight out, rotate your ankles so that your fins are facing out to the side toward perpendicular in respect to your legs (this prepares you to scoop water with the front of the fin).
  4. With the top of your fins facing forward, rechamber/bend your knees toward the starting position in step #1. You'll be moving through an arc again. The key is to keep your knees as close to the same position in each of the four steps as possible, otherwise the tendency is to drop your knees and "hump-the-dog".

Now, practice this laying on the floor. Your back should be arched with your head up, and your knees pulled up off the floor (feel the tension in your back). Some people have a tendency to pull themselves backwards-and-up through the water column because they drop their head. That's why it's important to arch your head up. This helps to keep your horizontal movement and trim in check.
    [/list=1]

Let me know if that makes sense the way I put it.

Now go practice, practice, practice!

Back
Top Bottom