How kick /swim / fin backwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd once bubbled...
What is the trick to this? About 20% of the time I can get it right, the rest of the time it moves me slightly backward but upward or does nothing at all. I can't tell what I'm doing different from when I've got it right and when I've got it wrong.

For those of you who have mastered it, could you please elaborate:doctor:

If you are finding yourself going upwards, more than likely you are keeping your head level or down. As was said, arch your back slightly and bring your head up.

Agreed. Raise your head if you're going up.

nice step by step explanation of the technique. I have watched that video clip and agree it could be better.

I think the head down thing that ya'll have mentioned might be the problem so I'll focus on the arch and let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Two things.

1. I was working on my skills yesterday and I am having a little trouble with the backwards kick. It just isn’t working. I spend more time going forward or where I am than going backwards. This may sound silly, but I lay on my bed this morning working the concept and moving my feet, ankles, and legs in the proper motion to get the hang of the motion while talking it through. Now, part of the problem, at least I think, is that I am dyslexic and the whole thing is odd and backwards to me. Feet flat, then bottoms together, push back, spread legs… I can type it out (I think) but putting the action and thought process together successfully, this motion is like a foreign language to me. Is there a method or tip for mastering this skill that I can practice?

2. I am noticing that my halcyon crotch strap is putting a little wear and tear on my wetsuit. It doesn’t rub me and is not uncomfortable but this will lead to wearing out the crotch of my wetsuit soon. I am thinking maybe a spandex or fabric sleeve for the strap just to cover this area so it will not wear a hole between my legs. Does anyone know of such a thing or have any other ideas? I know there is another softer strap that I can buy through EE for about $35.00. Do you suggest that I just buy the other strap? Will I have a similar problem? I do not have large thighs for my size. My thighs do not rub together. It is just that the strap edges rub the suit, and only on the sides not down the middle. We aren’t talking the strap rubbing everywhere, just where the sides of the strap touch the suit. Comments, suggestions, solutions?

Also, I am using Mares Quattros. I know that Jet fins are preferred, but I know Quattros are used in the training videos too.

Thanks for your help. R.

Backwards Kick - I'm certainly no expert but the tool that really helps on the DIRF course is the video camera. Rent/borrow one and jump in the pool. It'll give you loads of feedback.

Crotch Strap - Firstly $35.... $35 ... wow. 2 feet of webbing and two weight belt retainers, just hunt around for some soft webbing. I use an offcut of very soft webbing I got from a friend. You could try sleeving yours, a few thing spring to mind... an old sock, an old sweatshirt sleeve, one of those seatbelt pads that car modders like.

Going backwards seems to be one of those things that is really easy once you get it right once. Video might help. One thing you might try is to greatly exagerate the motion. That should get you going backwards. Once you know what it feels like you'll clean it up.

If you get a chance look at the PADI PPB video. The diver in the video does a backward kick poorly but it's easy to do that way and it'll get you started.

Diving with someone who can do it is a big help too. I keep having divers tell me they can't do it and all of a sudden I just see em doing it.

When I'm teaching I don't make a big deal about this kick. I demonstrate it and let students try it but time is too short and there are way more important things to work on, IMO.

I can't help with the crotch strap issue, just make sure it isn't too tight.

RavenC

Backwards Kick.

Changing to Jet Fins will help. Most of the plastic fins are too flexible and will flex on the push back. That said I have done backward kicks in Twin Jets just to see if I could do it.

You have described the basic motion but it helps to see it done and to practice it with dry runs on the surface with someone who knows how to do it. Also video is an excellent tool so that you can see what you are actually doing versus what you think you are doing. All of this is covered in the GUE DIRF course and the DIRF Powerpoint has an excellent video demo of it.

You might want to check out www.fifthd.com and review videos on the website. There are also links to these videos from www.sdue.org.

This is not the easiest skill to master, but once it is master it is a awesome tool to have available.

Crotch Strap.

Sounds like its too tight.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

Raven -

One thing that was noted on almost everyone in my DIR-F class is to make sure you are looking up....I mean way up.....It might feel totally odd at first, but the back-kick has everything to do with driving your legs down....putting your head up helps exaggerate that motion.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Raven -

One thing that was noted on almost everyone in my DIR-F class is to make sure you are looking up....I mean way up.....It might feel totally odd at first, but the back-kick has everything to do with driving your legs down....putting your head up helps exaggerate that motion.

I haven't taken the DIRF course yet. I have had it on my summer to do list. I hope it works out. I have used the training videos from fifthd and GUE. I have not had the opportunity to check into getting an underwater video camera but that is a good idea. I could see what I am doing wrong vs what I see someone else doing right.

The point about keeping your head up is a good one. I have not heard that and I definately was looking down the entire time. Everytime I tried I looked down. I would dawn a horizontal position and clasp my fingers in front of me with my elbows square and look down at the ground. Also, I haven't been driving the kick down, just out.

Do the fins make that much difference? Maybe I could learn the skill on a set of stiffer fins and then switch back to my mares. I just got them for christmas and I really want to use them.

As for the strap, it isn't too tight and it isn't rubbing me, I have noticed little fuzz balls in the crotch area on the inside of each leg and it is coming from the strap. It doesn't hurt me and leaves no mark on me. As a matter of fact, I don't feel it there at all. I was warned originally that it would take some getting used to but I haven't found that at all. I think I will put some type of sleeve on it I just didn't know if such a thing already exists.

Thanks for everyones input. R

RavenC once bubbled...
Two things.

1. I was working on my skills yesterday and I am having a little trouble with the backwards kick. It just isn’t working. I spend more time going forward or where I am than going backwards. This may sound silly, but I lay on my bed this morning working the concept and moving my feet, ankles, and legs in the proper motion to get the hang of the motion while talking it through. Now, part of the problem, at least I think, is that I am dyslexic and the whole thing is odd and backwards to me. Feet flat, then bottoms together, push back, spread legs… I can type it out (I think) but putting the action and thought process together successfully, this motion is like a foreign language to me. Is there a method or tip for mastering this skill that I can practice?

Also, I am using Mares Quatros. I know that Jet fins are preferred, but I Quatros are used in the training videos too.

Thanks for your help. R.

One of the things I notice more often then not when we teach this skill is the concept of making sure your legs are spread apart far. It's difficult to get your ankles into the proper position unless you get your knees far apart. If you find yourself going forward, rather then backward, what you'll see when you look at video is that the fins aren't slicing the water so therefore you are going forward. This happens because you aren't getting your ankles in proper position. Also, while you can kick backward in Quattro's, the longer and thinner blades tend to make the skill more difficult then it needs to be, by using a Jet fin you'll see the size, stiffness and pointed end of the blade will work in your favor.. This skill is one of the many reasons we recommend against splt fins. Split fins work against you in this regard.

Hope that helps..

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom