How long does it take you to get ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't take me long at all. If I'm going on a boat dive, my gear is set up before we even leave. All I have to do is turn on the air and put it all on.

If we are doing a deco dive that slows things down... as does a scooter dive... as does a dive where we need to do some plumbing.

~or~

If I am diving with someone new (or new to me) then we have some things to talk over... and I need to wait for them to assemble their rig... go to the bathroom... fix a broken/leaking/missing/ect. something or other.

Equipment gets cleaned up before I do. In the summer, that's not usually a problem, as I'm not dunking and washing in the dark. I finally set up a light, now that I'm in my first winter dive season.

I'm pretty anal about cleaning and stowing my stuff (gotta keep the eBay value high... :bonk: ) All neoprene gets dunked until all the salt taste is gone (usually 3 will do it), I used to pull back my hose protectors, last week I just took them off, altogether. Remove the tank boot for dunking and drying, open all the pockets, etc. I spray down the dive bag inside and out, reg bag inside and out, dunk the mask boxes, wipe down the inside of the drysuit, dunk the outside, then whenh the outside is dry, I turn inside out to dry the inside so its April fresh, etc.

I need a life. My post-dive clean up routine takes longer than many of my dives.

K

I've never actually timed myself to be exact, but I'm going to say about 5-10mins... thats with my overzealous triple checking of everything. Easily 5mins if I wore my undergarment to the site (often done) and have my rig assembled.

To completely remove all the gear I need and assemble, with nothing pre asembled, and undergarment to put on still, 10-15mins max... I'm pretty darn quick, I don't doddle, I stay right on task, I can usually talk and still be on track

I as well pack everything the same each time on the way to the dive, on the way home, it usually just gets shoved where it fits... but I just pull out my drysuit, throw it on, pull out a tank, BC, regs, assemble, test, check air and pressure, lay my fins, mask, snorkel (prolly won't use anymore), gloves, hood out, put defoger in my mask, and ready to go. Everytime I hit a site with other people no matter how prepared I was at the start of the day, I'm almost always the first done, thats with triple checking the air is on, working, everything is set up proper, and that I have all my bits and peices out of the car, cause once the trunk is closed, it's a pain to open...

From gear assembly and Donning, to the water varies by site, dive buddy, etc, however.

Boy, some of you guys are quick! Diving dry, doing a shore dive, with nothing prepared ahead of time (usually because we have to get up early to hit the road) I think it takes us at least 45 minutes before we hit the water, which includes time to unpack gear, untie the cylinders, etc. That includes three of us.

jbd once bubbled...
in the water in about 20 minutes from making the decision to dive.

Being familiar with your gear and having stuff packed in an order that allows you to handle it once when getting set up helps.

Excactamundo! I have everything in the car (not really prepped just dumped :) ) But on a moments notice beach is 10 minutes away, I need a little less that 20 to be in the water.

This is all dependant on weather conditions and time constraints. If the weather is cold and windy,also rainy, it takes about 10 min. with the dry suit and a little longer wet. I'm dry buddy still wet. Most of the time we are there to relax and take our time bulls@@ting and enjoying the day, this is for shore dives. On local boat dives tank and BP together ,suit on or half on at least, and everything else set up to be put on in order. We also go of the side and not the front to avoid the crowd, this is a club boat not a charter. By the time the boat is back gear is packed and ready to go to truck and then it is barbecue time on the beach.

chuckrt

first thing is get as much your gear ready the night before hook tank to BC, check everything and make sure working order ect and most of all make a check list to make sure you got everything.
as far as cleaning I rinse with fresh water hose with pressure still applied to regulators and rinse inside and out the bc and then I take soak it in big old cast iron tub with little vinager to fresh and help desolve any salt it soaks at least an hr then rinse again fresh water and hang in a semi shaded area till dry then place plastic bags over openings like regulators bc ect and store hanging up in big fat hangers
as far getting rerady to dive most time under 20 mins in water !!!
oh I put a cap full of mouth wash in BC when all done helps freshen it up also helps against any salt crystals too !!!

Mo2vation once bubbled...
All neoprene gets dunked until all the salt taste is gone

And you know this how? :wink: :D

Marc :jester:

Mo2vation once bubbled...

I need a life. My post-dive clean up routine takes longer than many of my dives.

K [/B]

Ditto, but then again, I spend alot of time screwing around, flapping my gums with the other divers who are gearing up as well. Last thing I put on is my wetsuit, which to me, looks much like watching a psych patient trying to wiggle out of a straight jacket. Of course, I am a big screw off in gearing down, I take my time, get comfy after I dump my BC and tank off my back, I have to have everything in it's assigned place in my pack, have a smoke going, something to drink and nibble on, I log my dive before putting my computer away, essentially, a snail can gear down faster than I do. Besides, who wants to leave the beach in a hurry? I'm still grumping about wanting to get in another dive.

-Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom