How many divers have experienced is; or is it just ME (thanks)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was amazed when a gentleman boarded the boat and announced, "What a boring dive!"
I asked, "Then you didn't see the cleaning station and all the barracudas lined up for it?" He shook his head. "Or the pairs of creole wrasses doing their mating dances (there were DOZENS of pairs)." Negative. "Or did you check out the octopus lair...it had a big pile of shells out front, but I couldn't see if anyone was home." Nope. He noted that he hadn't seen any of that, or really anything at all other than "just fish".

On the next dive, he and his partner paired up with me and mine. After that dive, we discussed what we had seen, and he seemed much more excited about "boring sites".

A little bit of prep work beforehand will go a long way toward providing opportunities for observing some really neat aspects of virtually all types of diving. Knowing what you MIGHT encounter makes it exciting when you actually see it before you.

To everyone that has sounded off, Fantastic advice. Thank you all.

I am more of a technical and perfectionist kind of guy so I think I would like analyzing the behavior patterns of the fish, and the territorial battles, etc. I also think I would enjoy the locations more by knowing what to "expect" (animal wise) BEFORE I got there and actually spent time in the water looking for said aquatic life.

DEF gonna spend more time on wrecks and probably take up tech as well

Thanks again for all your feedback (and I'm still following along and taking notes :wink: )

Safe diving

And let me add to USVET96...

Thank you for your service! All of us stand indebted to you.

Happy diving!

I am still looking for the crayfish at the safety stop and marvel at looking at the fish fry near the platforms in the quarry. I thought I would get bored there pretty quickly but 3 years later, I am still enjoying. If I am in the water, I am just enjoying the dive and not working.

A friend of mine told me a story of someone hoping to see sea lions on a dive and was disappointed afterwards to not see any, was very surprised to see himself in a picture with a big sea lion above his head "tasting" his neoprene hood.

One of the things I like to do is see how close I can get to a particular fish. It requires excellent bouyancy, slow movement, and a regular pattern of breathing to not scare the fish. GREAT skills practice and a fun challenge.

Exactly DiveMaven !!
some times I get a bit amazed how close they let me go,
some let you even touch them if you are slow and carefull enought,
some are curious too and will come to you, if you behave friendly and calm enought,
while some types you must hold breath to get close to them.
if there is nothing at all to play with, I find my self repeating a few skils just for good training.

Exactly DiveMaven !!
some times I get a bit amazed how close they let me go,
some let you even touch them if you are slow and carefull enought,
some are curious too and will come to you, if you behave friendly and calm enought,
while some types you must hold breath to get close to them.
if there is nothing at all to play with, I find my self repeating a few skils just for good training.

I made a habit of seeing how close I could get the the very territorial Damsel fishes :D.....I kept it up and was amazed at how close they were allowing me to get until one "bit" my forehead :rofl3:. I then watched the rest of the reef.

I'm new too and I've been trying to dive in different places so I haven't experienced this yet. I'd say, if I do experience it, I'd pick one creature or feature and just watch that thing. Amazing things happen when you're still with your eyes open. It's true during SI too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom